How long did it take you to learn to drive and pass your test?

all yank cars are automatic? :OMG:
that can't be true

And err, only manual stick driver people count :D

I'm a yank and my two cars are both sticks - would never dream of driving anything but. Putting on my way way way back hat, I think my parents taught me to drive over the summer of 1984 and I got my license that fall - passed the first time taking the test.

Yank here....Ive owned about 5 cars since i was 17 and every single one of them was standard....I hate driving automatic it bores the fuck out of me and i start enjoying the scenery instead of paying attention to the raod.

As far as learning....I had to do 6 hours of "defensive driving" before i could get my permit, then when i got the permit i just drove whenever my parents would let me. Took the drivers test and passed it the first time.

I got my learners permit about 6 months before I turned 16, I passed my license test the first time I took it (barely, haha, I fucked up maneuverability pretty bad). I learned on automatic, but the first car I bought was stick and I never plan on buying an automatic... ever

1 week (+ 1 day, seriously) Started lessons on a thursday, did exams on the week after that...
Did it when I turned 18..
Here in Holland you need to do a theory exam & the actual driving exam.
Since a good friend of my has a driving school (here in Holland you need to get lessons from licensed instructors), it was pretty easy for me. I actually told him to slow down with me doing my stuff.
I did the theory exam without notifying him, passed that. That was on the wednesday, I called him up that same afternoon saying I passed this theory exam. 5 minutes later he called me back; "You're doing the actual exam next thursday"........ I actually never drove a car before that and learned everything in 1 week.