how loud is the band? (+ hearing problems)

I'm glad others agree that it's way too loud. No, being loud to the point of distortion is not cool or metal. It is a way to ruin what could've been an amazing show. It makes me sad to see my fave band but not actually get to hear what's going on. Way too much bass... I can't tell what song they're playing 3/4 of the time, and if I can, it doesn't mean it sounds good.

man, i've seen symphony x twice live (2003 for the odyssey tour, and then 2005 for gigantour), and it seems like they're louder now from what i'm reading. the 2003 show was amazing, and the sound was awesome. gigantour wasn't too bad either (soundwise). now, motorhead, there's a disgustingly loud band. i went to see them in '06, and my friend and i left about 30 minutes into the show; we felt phsyically ill.

I've worn earplugs for the last 10 years - since I started playing drums.

I have regretted every time I've forgotten to wear them at concerts as well. I like my hearing, I want to keep it :). It's funny, I get bagged out by guitarists for wearing earplugs, yet my hearing is so much better than theirs. I've literally had them say to me "I'll just get hearing aids".

I've never been to a SymX show, since they haven't come to Australia yet :(. But I will wear earplugs, just like I always do. I have a set which reduce approx. ~30dBa, as well as my filtered earplugs which I use when I'm playing live which reduce about 12dBa but produce a clearer sound.

Good one...what's the point if everyone is going to wear earplugs. Would it not be better to play at a decent volume that everybody can enjoy instead of having to endure the punishing sound. Furthermore after a certain point it's not music anymore but just noise.

Yep! Thats exactly what it was a big blur of intense noise that you would struggle hard to focus on hearing what one individual was actually doing. It was easiest for me to just watch Russell, as long as I focused on him I could hear a little bit of where the songs were at, that and memory. The new songs forget it, I was like.... frowning, head racing, "I cant tell if I've heard this before" "this must be one of the new songs"...... :lol:

The thing I'm a little confused on is why your ears would have gotten MORE sensitive over the years and that you are experiencing pain at lower decibels. All the hearing loss crap aside, everyones threshold of pain is basically the same and remains basically the same, I believe it's 140 dB. Playing drums for years aka being exposed to loud sounds for years may slowly deteriorate some of your hearing but it should never EVER change your threshold of pain. If it is more of a personal annoyance that developed cool, but if it really hurts, I would see a doctor.

A lot of people say 'always wear ear plugs at concerts', and I think that's overdoing it a bit. I would say 'always wear ear plugs if you plan to be in the first 5 rows' and otherwise you should be just fine. No sense changing the frequency content if you are there to hear the show as is from a reasonable distance from the speakers. Putting in ear plugs is like putting a huge low pass filter on everything, and you lose a lot of intelligibility. While I hate when venues push the volume to the point of DISTORTION, I do understand that you have to fill the whole venue with quality sound, so for each concert you simply have to make a choice - stand up close and wear earplugs (or don't if you only attend concerts infrequently - it really is just prolonged exposure that would damage your ears) or stand back, and enjoy the sound as it is intended. I switch off, personally, depending on the type of band or even if I am seeing a band for the second time I'll often drop back and relax to experience the concert a different way.

I have never been to a show where I have enjoyed it any less by wearing earplugs.
In fact, it's the opposite, because I can enjoy not being deafened. Whether I'm front row or back row.

hmm, never had any hearing problems on concerts...
The only time a got out of the room before the metal concert ended was when Ancient Rites played... the guy really is a crappy singer live. On cd he sounds ok... live, he sucks ass!

There was a rock band once playing a small show here in the neighborhood. Both female singers took out earplugs after the show and I was like... why the hell did they wear those? :D
Another time I saw a girl wearing earplugs during a concert, I was like... poor girl, so young and hearing problems already :erk: :lol:

So before I read this thread I wasn't even aware of the fact that wearing earplugs is quite normal... I'd say, carry on, maybe I'll get a pair myself someday... someday... :)

The thing I'm a little confused on is why your ears would have gotten MORE sensitive over the years and that you are experiencing pain at lower decibels. All the hearing loss crap aside, everyones threshold of pain is basically the same and remains basically the same, I believe it's 140 dB. Playing drums for years aka being exposed to loud sounds for years may slowly deteriorate some of your hearing but it should never EVER change your threshold of pain. If it is more of a personal annoyance that developed cool, but if it really hurts, I would see a doctor.

A lot of people say 'always wear ear plugs at concerts', and I think that's overdoing it a bit. I would say 'always wear ear plugs if you plan to be in the first 5 rows' and otherwise you should be just fine. No sense changing the frequency content if you are there to hear the show as is from a reasonable distance from the speakers. Putting in ear plugs is like putting a huge low pass filter on everything, and you lose a lot of intelligibility. While I hate when venues push the volume to the point of DISTORTION, I do understand that you have to fill the whole venue with quality sound, so for each concert you simply have to make a choice - stand up close and wear earplugs (or don't if you only attend concerts infrequently - it really is just prolonged exposure that would damage your ears) or stand back, and enjoy the sound as it is intended. I switch off, personally, depending on the type of band or even if I am seeing a band for the second time I'll often drop back and relax to experience the concert a different way.

some venues are better than others, but it's not ONLY about where you sit at a show, you MUST factor in the longevity of the show.

Here's a chart for you all:

Decibel Exposure Time Guidelines

Accepted standards for recommended permissible exposure time for continuous time weighted average noise, according to NIOSH and CDC, 2002. For every 3 dBs over 85dB, the permissible exposure time before possible damage can occur is cut in half.

Continuous dB

Permissible Exposure Time

85 db
8 hours

88 dB
4 hours

91 db
2 hours

94 db
1 hour

97 db
30 minutes

100 db
15 minutes

103 db
7.5 minutes

106 dB
3.75 min (< 4min)

109 dB
1.875 min (< 2min)

112 dB
.9375 min (~1 min)

115 dB
.46875 min (~30 sec)

Painful

150 dB = rock music peak

140 dB = firearms, air raid siren, jet engine

130 dB = jackhammer

120 dB = jet plane take-off, amplified rock music at 4-6 ft., car stereo, band practice

Extremely Loud

110 dB = rock music, model airplane

106 dB = timpani and bass drum rolls

100 dB = snowmobile, chain saw, pneumatic drill

90 dB = lawnmower, shop tools, truck traffic, subway

Very Loud

80 dB = alarm clock, busy street

70 dB = busy traffic, vacuum cleaner

60 dB = conversation, dishwasher

Moderate

50 dB = moderate rainfall

40 dB = quiet room

Faint

30 dB = whisper, quiet library

I was at The gig in Zoetermeer and there was a DB-meter. It was almost constantly over 100-105 and even hit 124 at one point. They turned it down a bit after that :loco:

I have custom made hard plugs with filters, but I don't hear the singing when I use them. The cheapest ones (foam) only leave a loud BRRRRR sound.
So now I have army plugs with small holes that work like filters. They are quite cheap (6 euros) and work the best...

But I agree it's all too loud. I'm a music teacher and need my ears for the job!
It's a shame you never hear the metal concerts in the right balance, just because it needs to be what people expect.

Thee was a concert in Germany 1991 where they hit 143. People had to go to a hospital with cracked eardrums and bleeds. That's quite loud..