How to achieve this band's sound

killahpl

New Metal Member
Jul 1, 2018
Hi,

I'm a keyboard/piano player and after a couple of years of playing covers I'm at a point where I'd like to start making my own stuff.

I'd like to achieve the same kind of sound as this band has in this song (minus the vocals - the part I'm mainly interested in starts at ~0:35; I find that I can reproduce the sound of the intro quite easily ):

I can pin down the chords in each part of the song easily. There's probably two distorted guitars (L-R) in there. I can hear the double kick and the sharp snare, the hi hats etc. The tempo is probably around 150-160.

Still, I throw it all into my DAW and the result sounds flat; while I think the song in the YouTube clips has amazing energy and just flows, in my reproduction, it just seems like all the elements are competing against one another.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll definitely give those boards a try.

I'll also post a sample of what I've got here as well (a sample of the intro, the part I was referring to earlier plus the first vocal part (minus the vocals, obviously):

In case it's useful, the FreeAmp 3 Full plugin you can get here is a good realistic-sounding virtual guitar amp. I have no experience in working with guitar, but I used it with my egg slicer for the solos in my Megadeth cover linked in my sig, and also this track (the first sound that comes in).