How to get vocals sound good?

M.Lehto

Jun 25, 2002
What I mean is, do you guys (forummembers) record vocals mono or stereo? What kind of reverb or delay are you using, damn, give me some numbers :) Any other tricks with compression etc? I just want to expand my knowledge about this, because no matter how good I manage to get everything else sound, vocals are always very hard to get right! And I record clean and harsh vocals, if that matters...

Well I use AKG c3000 mic..and record mono, but what I meant was that do you use 2 mics and record stereo, that way you can also have good sound...I record with computer and use direct-x plugins for editing the sound...

EDIT - And I have a tube pre-amp, forgot that one :)

Hehe, I CAN DO the vocals, just making them sound good in mix is difficult, well, maybe I must record those in real studio...

Helsinki... Did you attend the gig we did at Tavastia when Tuska was running? We´ll release it as a livealbum later this year actually.

Finland rule.

How´s that for advertising?

Yeah I was there, but in Finnish way, I was VERY drunk, so I can't remember much, it was a long day...And yeah, I read that your gonna release live (Killing Helsinki) from that gig! Gotta check that one out, because the gig is just blur to me!

Hahaha... alcohol does that to you. You missed a great gig man, good thing it´ll get released then, it´ll make you think twice about drinking again before we play.

Tuska, mainstage, next year. That´s what we were told.

Some big studios record the vocals with 2 mikes. one pretty close and one more in the room. But I don't think it's neccessary, too. Important is a good microphone. Not a dynamic one, but a condensator microphone. Then a good pre-amp with a tube. And of course a bit compression, but not too much. You don't have to do much equalizing with a good microphone.
Didn't you want to make a coversong? We're waiting. I'll do one more maybe.

Originally posted by Unicorn
Some big studios record the vocals with 2 mikes. one pretty close and one more in the room. But I don't think it's neccessary, too. Important is a good microphone. Not a dynamic one, but a condensator microphone. Then a good pre-amp with a tube. And of course a bit compression, but not too much. You don't have to do much equalizing with a good microphone.
Didn't you want to make a coversong? We're waiting. I'll do one more maybe.

Yeah, I've recorded a cover, but the only thing I don't like on it, is the vocals :) I'll try to record those next weekend...

Hahahah. Reverb and compression is for weaklings. I record my raw vocals with no effects into a $20 mic and they sound perfectly grim. If it doesn't hurt, you don't know how to growl. :p