How to make snare and kick stick out

GearMan2point0

Musician/Engineer
Feb 13, 2011
What are some of the things you do to get snare and kick unburried. Are there any secrets or tips you want to share on how to get the kick to sound fully through or the snare. I find that sometimes I have an awesome sounding kick but when I put it in the mix I am only hearing a small set of frequencies through it and not the whole thing. I have a few tricks, like carving some EQ and compressing, but I was wondering if you had any tips?

thanks

anyone else, feel free to give your go to moves for this also

What are some of the things you do to get snare and kick unburried. Are there any secrets or tips you want to share on how to get the kick to sound fully through or the snare. I find that sometimes I have an awesome sounding kick but when I put it in the mix I am only hearing a small set of frequencies through it and not the whole thing. I have a few tricks, like carving some EQ and compressing, but I was wondering if you had any tips?

thanks

anyone else, feel free to give your go to moves for this also

start with subtracting eq, to get the sound you're looking for

use addition eq to make it pop in the mix

this is pretty much the rule of thumb with eq. if you don't like adding a lot of eq, you can subtract more and then turn the output gain up.