how to start composing a song??

Arystar

Kissing In The Shadows
Sep 26, 2010
Belgium
what would be the best approach?

I just "play" my guitar and sometimes something good comes out but not like REALLY REALLY good and i usually cannot get further from that part then.

what would be best way to start building up a song?

if you have guitar pro you can solo the drums from any tab that has them and then loop a certain section. If not then search for drum loops on youtube. It's a lot easier to make stuff up if you have a beat to it- then you can either piece together riffs or do variations on the riff you came up with. Works for me.

if you have guitar pro you can solo the drums from any tab that has them and then loop a certain section. If not then search for drum loops on youtube. It's a lot easier to make stuff up if you have a beat to it- then you can either piece together riffs or do variations on the riff you came up with. Works for me.

i thought about that and will try

but then there ahs to be a drum track you like idk what drum track is good or not to me it sounds all the same except the bassdrum

>has fucking expensive omgalexi guitars
>cannot write a simple song

kidstoday.jpg

its not about writing a simple song cuz imo thats easy im trying to get somethign more atmospheric and complicated.
is it truly just starting with something basic liek rythm and then putting that on loop and add things here and there as you play?

and i dont have omgalexi guitars rofl the jacksons are both non alexi inspired guitars rofl i liked the rhoads from day one.
and a goodguitar costs atleast 800 euros, everything beneath(meaning like the 300 euro models) are low quality.
if u think that is expensive you should try working, im just a student and i work my ass of to pay for them :)

If you want something more atmospheric I really suggest using Guitar Pro if you have no one to jam with. You can add keys and then choose a scale that will fit for guitars in the program. It's fun to just muck around on the guitar and come up with stuff but if your having trouble writing leads then I find Guitar Pro helps.

If you want something more atmospheric I really suggest using Guitar Pro if you have no one to jam with. You can add keys and then choose a scale that will fit for guitars in the program. It's fun to just muck around on the guitar and come up with stuff but if your having trouble writing leads then I find Guitar Pro helps.

problem is i like the CoB way of music and idk how they do it, is it like [small riff] -[4to 8 note interlude] - [small riff] - [scale run] - [heavy riff] - [solo] ..... ?

idk rofl

its not about writing a simple song cuz imo thats easy im trying to get somethign more atmospheric and complicated.
is it truly just starting with something basic liek rythm and then putting that on loop and add things here and there as you play?

and i dont have omgalexi guitars rofl the jacksons are both non alexi inspired guitars rofl i liked the rhoads from day one.
and a goodguitar costs atleast 800 euros, everything beneath(meaning like the 300 euro models) are low quality.
if u think that is expensive you should try working, im just a student and i work my ass of to pay for them :)

I'm not saying that those guitars are expensive for guitars (I'm investing in a custom that'll cost AT LEAST twice that amount), but just as it stands 800 euros is a sizable amount of money.

I bought my current guitar for £200 used and it's an absolute workhorse and has never failed me, don't let some other people's opinions of "quality" obscure your opinion, of course it doesn't stand up to a £1,000 or even £700 guitar, but plugged in it sounds better than a good few £500 guitars I've heard.

Barring that digression, I'm glad I've been able to actually hone my skill as a player in being able to write and play complex music before investing in pricey guitars, which you have not done.

also the fact that you're posting on here about anything remotely serious means I bet you think that the off-topic is actually a forum for CoB lovers (which it hasn't been for a long time, way before I got here), which means you don't understand just how much of a CoB fanboy you are. (also the fact that you more or less flat out stated you want to rip off the way CoB write songs was a bit of a giveaway)

also it's 2013 how the fuck does anybody not know what guitar pro is

I'm not saying that those guitars are expensive for guitars (I'm investing in a custom that'll cost AT LEAST twice that amount), but just as it stands 800 euros is a sizable amount of money.

I bought my current guitar for £200 used and it's an absolute workhorse and has never failed me, don't let some other people's opinions of "quality" obscure your opinion, of course it doesn't stand up to a £1,000 or even £700 guitar, but plugged in it sounds better than a good few £500 guitars I've heard.

Barring that digression, I'm glad I've been able to actually hone my skill as a player in being able to write and play complex music before investing in pricey guitars, which you have not done.

also the fact that you're posting on here about anything remotely serious means I bet you think that the off-topic is actually a forum for CoB lovers (which it hasn't been for a long time, way before I got here), which means you don't understand just how much of a CoB fanboy you are. (also the fact that you more or less flat out stated you want to rip off the way CoB write songs was a bit of a giveaway)

also it's 2013 how the fuck does anybody not know what guitar pro is

wow...just wow rofl no need to get so offensive nor defensive lol.
firstly I do not wanna Rip off CoB lol i like their style and when i make songs i never seem to get them in that direction.
so i thought since it is not CoB directly related i'd post it in the off-topic.
And guitarwise I've done my share off skills too, its now that when I notice the challenge of technique is almost gone that ive started to write down some music of my own. so checking out and asking how other people approach that is wrong?
and everyone knows guitar pro, yet like i stated before its not the only thing out there.

to me u seems like a pissed little kid who sat to long in front of his computer.
and is trying to get attention to his "honed skills".
if u can compose songs better then i can atm, im happy for you, but dont be a jealous prick bcuz someone worked harder then you to pay for his guitars, it doesnt suit you, specially after honing your "workhorse" so much :)

firstly I do not wanna Rip off CoB lol i like their style and when i make songs i never seem to get them in that direction.
And guitarwise I've done my share off skills too, its now that when I notice the challenge of technique is almost gone that ive started to write down some music of my own. so checking out and asking how other people approach that is wrong?
and everyone knows guitar pro, yet like i stated before its not the only thing out there.

to me u seems like a pissed little kid who sat to long in front of his computer.
if u can compose songs better then i can atm, im happy for you, but dont be a jealous prick bcuz someone worked harder then you to pay for his guitars, it doesnt suit you, specially after honing your "workhorse" so much :)

>"no need to get so offensive nor defensive lol"

trademark of somebody whose jimmies have been rustled

>calls me a jealous prick and ends his message with a passive-aggressive smiley face

definitely rustled

What do you want us to tell you? Some secret to making music interesting?
Learn music theory, learn your chords, scales and modes. Study what they are, when they are used, and why they are used when they are.

Study, Practice, Study, Practice.

Best advice I can give you though. Give up, pick a new hobby. You want to write music like CoB, because you are a CoB fan, and want to be like CoB. You want to play shows so you can look cool, not because you like to study and play music.

If you truly enjoyed playing music, I wouldn't have to tell you all this shit, and you wouldn't be reading this. You would be doing it right now, and having a fucking blast doing it, and generally wouldn't give a fuck what CoB sounds like.

>"no need to get so offensive nor defensive lol"

trademark of somebody whose jimmies have been rustled

>calls me a jealous prick and ends his message with a passive-aggressive smiley face

definitely rustled

Jimmies so rustled he had to slam down "Enter" at the end of every sentance. Proper paragraph structure is important, your sentance looks like your a little kid. If its too much effort to properly convey your opinions, thoughts and questions, then why should anyone else put the effort into responding positively?

JESUS CHRIST!

Stop telling others how they should be, if you have anything relevant to help out post it. Otherwise shut the fuck up.

Realise this: people play music to have fun - not to follow you ideas of what the right kind of musician should be. Not everybody has to be original - I betcha everyone of you tried to rip off some band when you started out. Guess you must be the worst persons ever then huh?

Its only natural to try and replicate what you like.

sure if you want to get famous you need to be original and whatevz. Everyone has their influences, and to let them shine through you have to analyze them

He's not asking for magical tips, but for tips from someone whos been there done that - and there are good tips Like everything in life, you can get tips from someone whos already done what youre attempting to do.
That doesnt mean he shouldnt find his own way, tips are still helpful.

Music theory is one, but music theory doesnt teach you the creative aspect. Its only a tool

Im getting tired of this mentality of musicians - the "either you got it or you dont, do your homework only you can find the way". Maybe cus theyre scared to share their "secrets". Or maybe cus they dont feel good about their own musical skills.

Its just a hostile mentality really and I think you all should get over yourselves.

Also if the guy owns an expensive guitar its okay no matter what his level is! If he earned the money, he got damn earned it. I wish I had started out on a great guitar, it just makes it more fun to play in general. And thats what guitar is about - fun. Not some goddamn ideal of the perfect musician

He's asking one of the most asshole-ish forums on the whole of the net for help on how to rip off CoB and expects a good answer?

Fine. I'll post a non-sarcastic or inflammatory answer then.

1. Understand basic song structure.

2. Listen to CoB.

3. Study music theory and the actual discipline of playing metal guitar.

now that you know 1, use what you learned in 3 to emulate what you heard in 2

if that's not a good answer then honestly fuck off

I'm in that weird 3 weeks between my exams (for which I wasn't at school in lessons for about a month) and the end of the school year, my internal clock is fucked. Been going to bed past 2 every day this week :(

JESUS CHRIST!

Stop telling others how they should be

He asked us how he should be.

JESUS CHRIST!
Realise this:

No.

sure if you want to get famous you need to be original and whatevz.

No you don't :lol:

He's not asking for magical tips, but for tips from someone whos been there done that

Which is what he is getting, and your crying because you wanted a different answer.

Music theory is one, but music theory doesnt teach you the creative aspect. Its only a tool

Go and build me a chair, without using any tools. Bonus points if you can cut the tree down with your creativity alone.

Im getting tired of this mentality of musicians - the "either you got it or you dont, do your homework only you can find the way".

Again, Its not the answer you wanted so now you are throwing a hissy fit like a little girl. There are MILLIONS of people in the world that can play guitar, but how many of them can you actually name? I'm going to guess its less than 1000 people.

Why do you think only 0.1% of guitar players are good enough at it to make it their career? Because they fucking practiced and studied, while you bitched on the internet no one was sharing their secrets with you.

Its just a hostile mentality really and I think you all should get over yourselves.

I'm over myself. I'm not a very good songwriter or musician, but I don't blame that fact on some nerds not giving me their secrets (no offense nerds).

Also if the guy owns an expensive guitar its okay no matter what his level is! If he earned the money, he got damn earned it.

Because he sounds so immature I can only assume hes 12-15 years old. If he is older I doubt he has the maturity to take on school and a job. I'm more inclined to belive his parents spent the money for him, and its fun to make fun of teenagers for such things. They go so defensive for not being able to buy their own stuff...

Which is fucked up really, I'd love for my mom to do my shopping for me again :lol:

Oh but fine!

I don't play with metal much anymore, but I generally start with a chord progression I like, and just add in some melodies. Once you have a chord progression you can really change the song up to any genre style you want.

Which is why its so important you learn your theory. So you now how to make interesting chords and I don't have to listen to your i VI III VII crap more

And a chord is made up of serval notes. They can sound sad (minor) and they can be happy (major). There are also "powerchords".
:)

I feel sorry for people who don't "understand" the single parts of a song. I feel really sorry for them. This guy reminds me of a drummer I played with. He was really good but he couldnt tell when we played a chorus or a verse or some interlude. He just didnt get it and if he missed a beat because of his confusion we always had to start again from the beginning.