Howard wins!

Originally posted by Moon Child
Do you really believe that Labor would provide anything much different to the way things are now? I think the major parties don't differ that much. They might pretend to leading up to an election, but when it comes to the cruch, they're all the same as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know why I participated in this thread. I feel like I should prepare for a grilling. ;) There seem to be some very passionate political views around here.
Nup, I agree with you completely Moony, they are ALL wankers. You just vote for the least wankery one :)

Originally posted by Moon Child
Do you really believe that Labor would provide anything much different to the way things are now? I think the major parties don't differ that much. They might pretend to leading up to an election, but when it comes to the crunch, they're all the same as far as I'm concerned.

Hear hear!!

For those musos unaware...

... this year saw the Labor Party, for the first time, go to an election with an arts policy. Labor was looking to bring in an allowance for professional musicians (Professional Arts Practicioners) that is similar to the dole, and recipients would not have to go out and constantly look for totally unrelated work. While heavily means tested, it would provide fair-dinkum musicians with the opportunity to concentrate on what they do best... play and write music.

The Liberal Party... well, all they brought in was parallel importing.

Unfortunately, the majority of Australians aren't as politically aware as us headbangers and musos. Why is that? Probably because we, as metal fans, all understand life better than anyone else.

Originally posted by Stevo
Unfortunately, the majority of Australians aren't as politically aware as us headbangers and musos. Why is that? Probably because we, as metal fans, all understand life better than anyone else.

Damn straight! :headbang: Besides, people who write metal songs have to be politically aware so they can write about rebelling against the "system" :D

I had to lose half a days pay to go and vote for Howard
i just hate that other fat fucker so much that i would do anything to make him lose.
John is a good pm i think, he does not look like such a hard tough guy (Labors image) but he is actually the strongest leader we have had for ages.

Originally posted by Winmar
On the contrary, he's the weakest little shit of a man I've ever come across, and a constant embarrassment to any liberal (in the true sense of the word) minded Australians overseas. Leader of my country? Oh dear.

He's just a big tough man with a big tough plan.

Mr Beazley’s policies are a joke.
Roll back the GST, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, Everyone has to agree that the GST is a far better tax system than the one we had, we were still paying heaps of sales tax, its just that they kept it secret how much!
Remember when the Olympics were coming up and he was constantly telling us how much of a disaster it was going to be, well that was obviously proved wrong.
Basically every production of failure has been proved wrong.
Another thing, that really pissed me off is when Keating wanted to change the flag, I am really proud of our flag and I never want to see it change weather we become a republic or not. Which I hope we do not.
Every aussie over here that I have spoken to who voted, voted for Howard. And we all cheered when we heard he one.
Guys, just tell me, why do you think labor would have been better for this term?
Its not the fact that the party is labour I didn’t like, its the idiot who was leading it that I had a problem with, and obviously most of Australia agree

I've come to measure the effectiveness of a political leader by how quotable he is. Ronald Reagan, for example, was one of the best presidents ever for lines such as, "They counted on America being passive... they counted wrong". George W. Bush, on the other hand, just says the same thing over and over - "Make no mistake, blah blah blah" and "Blah blah blah, make no mistake about it".

Paul Keating was also eminently quotable (can't remember any offhand, though!) and was always fun to listen to on the news each night because he wasn't afraid of saying what he thought. This is what made him not only the best prime minister of the modern era, but perhaps of all time.

Oh, being able to run a country helps as well :) To be honest, if I wasn't such a staunch Labor supporter I would have voted for the Liberals, because I think John Howard is a better war-time leader than Kimbo, and seeing as it looks like we've been dragged into this war by the US then we need a good war-time leader. He won't do a good job, but probably better than Beazley would!

Remember the Asian financial Crisis of '95?
Most of you probably would not, but the simple fact is that the Australian economy should have been totally fucked by such a violent global recession.

But no...
Our economy didn't decline, it improved! But then again, that wasn't to hard considering we had just been in a recession for 3 years thanks to Labor's ignorance of simple economic principles.

And now again today..
The US and Europe are falling into recession. Australia is resisting it.

Why?
You tell me.

Ooh a political discussion on the Maiden downunder board. I feel like a kennedy. :)

I didnt vote for the liberals, and I HATE that damn GST, I am worse off with it, but I have to admit that interest rate wise we are laughing (for now) except I dont have a mortgage so it doesnt really matter to me either way. The economy is also doing very very well all things considered.
The problem with the GST is that when the interest rates go up, the GST doesnt go down so THATS when we will find out how bad it really is........

Labor doesnt seem to have any idea about economics from what ive seen, but i still vote for them because if I had to choose out of Kim and John to invite to a bbq I was having, id rather invite Kim and thats as good as an endorsement as I need :)

Originally posted by spawn
but I have to admit that interest rate wise we are laughing (for now) except I dont have a mortgage so it doesnt really matter to me either way.

We all have to remember that as the RBA is a non-political entity, the interest rates have little to do with the Governement in power.
Through fiscal policy the Government can play a part on the interest rates, but the small changes we are seeing know are thanks to the RBA.

Well even as a labor voter I have to admit that the liberals fiscal policy has lead to much lower interest rates!
You have done/do some kind of economics course at uni dont you Sydo? :D

I'm majoring in economics.
Which is great because I'm also beggining to understand politcs.

Im majoring in boredom.
Which is great because im just beginning to understand life. :D