Hubardo!

Is Byron going to publish The Sword of Satan? Or at least sell it digitally on Amazon someday... I really can't afford the deluxe edition but I still want to read it

I do resell some of my records that I'm just not into anymore and other people will appreciate, but I'm not a flipper. Rest assured I have absolutely no intention of reselling any of my copies of Hubardo, or any other Kayo Dot or Toby Driver related material. I even have doubles of some of your CD releases, they are for my own personal collection. I've thought about making a video or something of my Kayo Dot, and KD-related collection cause at this point it's rather extensive. I even have test pressings for Blue Lambency Downward, Stained Glass and Gamma Knife.

OT but I thought patches would be cool. Like the Hubardo-style font/logo/theme. White on a black patch, black on a white patch, black or white on charcoal variations. Now I'm picturing a TL2 back-patch on a jacket, too. B-)

A few misc. thoughts before I begin my 42nd (!!!) trip through Hubardo...

-pre-ordering the album on a whim in July (being a recent motW convert but knowing very little about Kayo Dot), I really had no idea what to expect from this... the samples were so good that they sold me on one of the deluxe editions, but of course there was always the chance that I'd hear the finished product and find it disappointing overall. Well, I can gladly say that was NOT the case here; quite the contrary, actually - Hubardo absolutely kicked my ass the first time I heard it and now (just over a month in) I'm fairly comfortable in saying that this might be one of the ten best records I've ever heard. Almost two hours long and not a SINGLE moment of filler; how is that even possible...? I won't go into excruciating detail about the music itself because others have already described it way better than I ever could, but I will say this: what's with all the hate for The Black Stone? I don't think I've ever heard another track so genuinely brooding and malevolent in my life and the way it acts as a musical "prologue" to the rest of the album is just brilliant. Those guitar/drum swells during the first few minutes... just like waves of dark energy washing over you. Crazy stuff.

-speaking of things I don't get... it seriously bums me out how little folks seem to be talking about The Wait of the World -especially the last four minutes. That might honestly be my favorite passage on the entire album; it absolutely levels every time I hear it... not afraid to say that I've found myself getting all misty-eyed at that point more than once. Love the thematic imagery and how it perfectly it ties in with the beginning of the album, too; I think Mr. Byron really outdid himself here. The perfect closer as far as I'm concerned.

-I dunno how other folks have been approaching it, but listening to this in it's entirety is really the only way I can hear it now... talk about (literally) a musical journey if there ever was one. My personal "ritual" has been to turn all the lights out just after 9pm and put it on then; for some reason, it just seems to take on a whole nother' level when I listen to it in the dark. I've been fortunate enough to hear The Black Stone at the height of a thunder / lightning storm as well as The Second Operation under a full moon in my backyard (crickets chirping and all!)... getting lost inside this album just keeps getting easier and easier, and as of right now it's showing no signs of wearing off. Seriously glad I took a chance on that pre-order; can't wait to have the vinyl in my hands a few months from now.

-last thing; a question for Mr. Driver himself: are you guys gonna perform Hubardo in it's entirety on those November dates you have planned, or just a couple songs from it instead? I've been debating on whether or not the 6+ hour drive from Cleveland (one way) is worth it to make the Baltimore date, but if you guys did the whole record... I think I'd pretty much have to go at that point, haha.

@Snyffilas:

"-speaking of things I don't get... it seriously bums me out how little folks seem to be talking about The Wait of the World "

... *Yes, that was my thought every time I heard it*

"-especially the last four minutes. That might honestly be my favorite passage on the entire album; it absolutely levels every time I hear it... "

- What? Yeah!

"I think Mr. Byron really outdid himself here. The perfect closer as far as I'm concerned."

*NGGGGGGGG* YEEEEES!

On last.fm I desribed it like that (a month ago):
"After 6 times of listening to the album I can say that for me the part where the chaotic noise part transforms into the smooth-jazz-fusion-like part (keypoint at 9:55), also all the emotion concerning the album take a dramatic turn. It's a complete transmutation. Never heard anything like that. Playing chaotic music and changing into calm melodies is one thing, but what the band achieved here is unearthly!"

Urrr. And sorry for the bad English.

We're not going to perform it in its entirety - to do so would require an additional band member or two. We'll do a selection of everything from Hubardo except Thief, Lunar Water, and the WotW. In NYC, we might do one of those other ones since Tim (Byrnes) will be there.

-I dunno how other folks have been approaching it, but listening to this in it's entirety is really the only way I can hear it now... talk about (literally) a musical journey if there ever was one. My personal "ritual" has been to turn all the lights out just after 9pm and put it on then; for some reason, it just seems to take on a whole nother' level when I listen to it in the dark. I've been fortunate enough to hear The Black Stone at the height of a thunder / lightning storm as well as The Second Operation under a full moon in my backyard (crickets chirping and all!)...

Backed! Love in-the-dark listens, and front-to-back is the way to go!

I love this album man. I'm new to Kayo Dot but this shit blew me away (albeit after a couple of listens). Where do I go next with these guys?

OK, so other cuts like Crown-in-the-Muck and Zlida are probably a go then live... which means I'll definitely try to find my way down there if I can. Gonna see if I can talk my old man into going with me; he's not overly fond of more metallic stuff but then we saw Gojira a few months back and he was absolutely blown away after that... so you never know I guess.