HUGE Drum+Bass Sound

osum

Misanthrope
Jun 26, 2011
South Germany
I tried to get a really huge drum sound as well as a nice distorted bass sound.

Sorry for stealing the intro drum-fill from Orpheus' 'Selead In Fate', but it may be ok for that test-clip. I took it because Ermz' Drums on that Orpheus Record are some of my favourites :)

The drums are Superior Drummer 2 Avatar Kit with Metal Foundry Kick.
Also kick is blended 30% with Despised Icon and Snare blended 20% with Devil.

For thickness und hugeness I have a parallel bus with a compressor and a parallel bus with Decapitator demo.

Bass is my IBANEZ SR305-IPT 5-String with new SkullStrings .135.
There are three bass tracks.
1 clean with TSE BOD and Comp+EQ, another with TSE 808 and TSE BOD for middy distortion and a third wird TSE BOD and NoAmp for that tiny fizzy hi-end grit shit :)

Last edited by a moderator:
No suggestions? Is it that average? :) (because if it's bad someone will post and if it's good someone will post too :D )

Wow that's badass dude! Sounds awesome!

One thing I'll say is that a trick to getting the mix to sound super thick, is to make sure the bass is glued just right between the drums and the guitars. Remember, bass is the key to making your mix sound heavy. Obviously not blasting the bass and ruining the mix but the it's the most vital part in a mix because it connects the drums and the guitar as far as heaviness so getting it just right is crucial. You've done a good job of that too. Awesome work!

Guitars sound a bit overgained and digital and I can hear too easily that the drums aren't real. The overall sound is altough pretty nice. Good and clear bass sound.

Thanks.

Guitars sound a bit overgained and digital and I can hear too easily that the drums aren't real. The overall sound is altough pretty nice. Good and clear bass sound.

Drums: just a humanize-thing or something other?

Guitar: Yeah, you're right, maybe a bit too much gain.

Thanks for reviewing!