I need some new music! Help!

urinalcakemix

man who plays drum
Jun 7, 2003
Wallingford, CT
Visit site
Alright, I've been listening to the same old thing for some time now, I really need to spice things up. I need a new sound. I need something I've never heard before. I, like many im sure, go through phases of genres, currently im digging through the 70's for unheard material, the first 3 Santana albums, Mahavishnu Orchestra, ELP, and more modern: The Mars Volta to try and diversify my tastes.

http://www.last.fm/user/urinalcakemix

Here is a winamp plugin chart that shows waht I listen to, just so you have SOME idea of my likes, and what sounds im more lenient towards.

I'm open to pretty much anything, but I'd like some clean vocals. Thats ALL I ask!

Help me out guys, whether its metal, prog rock, jazz, latin, funk, lay it on me, I need something new!

You could try:
Infectious Grooves
Suicidal Tendencies
Dream Evil
I dont think I saw the new Helloween on there
Pandemonic
Cage
Sanctuary
Theatre of Tragedy
Trouble
Extol
Vintersorg
Attacker
Moonspell
Voivod
Ben Jackson Group
Bathory
Nocturnal Rites
Accept
Warmen
Brazen Abbot
Gary Hughes - Once and Future King

Thats just some of the stuff I didnt think I saw on your list. Some of it may have been on there. Let me know what you think.

Dolamite S. Biffle said:
You could try:
Infectious Grooves
Suicidal Tendencies
Dream Evil
I dont think I saw the new Helloween on there
Pandemonic
Cage
Sanctuary
Theatre of Tragedy
Trouble
Extol
Vintersorg
Attacker
Moonspell
Voivod
Ben Jackson Group
Bathory
Nocturnal Rites
Accept
Warmen
Brazen Abbot
Gary Hughes - Once and Future King

Thats just some of the stuff I didnt think I saw on your list. Some of it may have been on there. Let me know what you think.
I have some: Dream Evil, Vintersorg, Moonspell, Bathory, nocturnal rights ,Warmen, and Accept. It just logs the top 50, I have more than 50 artists on my computer.

Thanks for the reccomendations tho!

I skimmed through your list but couldn't memorize everything there, so here's some shots in the dark:

Overlorde
Lefay/Morgana Lefay
Pyramaze
Pagans Mind
Exhibition
Heavenly
Communic
Scariot

I'll try to think of some more later. But those have all been at the top of my playlist in recent weeks.

Some of my recent favorites are:

HIM "Dark Light"
Soul Relic "Love is a Lie We Both Believed"
Vain "On the Line"
Wig Wam "It's Hard to be a Rock N Roller"

Anything by Mike Keneally. Whether it be from Hat, Dog, Sluggo, or Boil That Dust Speck, listen to some!

Maybe some Chick Corea Electric Band Stuff......

Anything from from Spock's Beard

White Willow - nice prog rock.
Beseech - older albums (pre Drama & their current Sunless Days). Started out an atmospheric doom metal band and now sound like a cross between Evanescence & HIM.
Deine Lakaien - Mellow darkwave music
Die Form - weird French masochist s&m themed electronic music. Extremum, Inhuman, & L'ame Electrique are all very good albums. Histories Vol 2 is also a nice compiliation of some of their better songs.
The Gathering - Probably have listened to them
Mostly Autumn - More prog rock.

All I can think of off the top of my head.

WOW! It's nice to see that there's some other folks in here that listen to jazz fusion as well as the usual genres we talk about here. I was begining to think that there were only a few of us. I've always thought that fusion and prog are 2 sides of the same coin. Anyways, in that vein (jazz fusion, since most of the others are listing a lot of the same metal bands that I would post) I could recommend some artists, that would be a change of pace from the various kinds of metal and rock that you listen to and haven't been listed already. These are some off the top of my head. If you're interested in more, or jazz players that play instruments other than bass or guitar, let me know.

John McLaughlin - He was in Mahavishnu, so you'll be familiar with him.
Stanley Clarke - I found out about John McLaughlin through him. A bass legend that has played with the best and scored plenty of movies.
Jaco Pastorius - Self proclaimed "World's Greatest Bass Player" (with GOOD reason)! An influence on many bassists after him. He's dead now, but listening to his son Felix play around here locally, in the group Way of the Groove, is the next best thing!
Victor Wooten - I'd pretty much say that he's the greatest bass player now. He tears it up on the bass! Your jaw will drop! He has played with Bela Fleck (the jazz banjoist).
Tribal Tech - Pretty heavy and weird for a jazz fusion band.
Christian McBride - You may have heard of him through some of the famous people he's played bass for.
John Pattitucci - Does lots of classical and latin music too. Played with Chick Corea.
Charlie Hunter/Garage a Trois - this will really change it up for you...he plays an 8 string guitar (3 bass strings and 5 guitar strings) to be able to play bass and lead or rhythmn guitar at the same time. In fact one solo album he did with only a percussionist and it was some of his best stuff.

If you want something even more different, sometimes when I watch BET Jazz, I find jazz artists, groups or collaborations that blow my mind and redefine what jazz can be. I think that it was on Thanksgiving or the weekend before that, I saw Chick Corea, Bela Fleck and Bobby McFerrin play together. That was something else!

"And now for something completely different"
, that's not jazz fusion, there's always Primus and Les Claypool's other projects too. Also the progressive/avant guard rock group King Crimson. You've probably already heard of theese bands, but it's hard to get more different than that!

Some more off-the-cuff non-metal suggestions:

Ozric Tentacles, Erpland or Jurassic Shift or Live Underslunky or Live at the Pongmaster's Ball. Nearly all instrumental, guitar- and synth-driven space-rock, typically with a strong groove. Imitated by some (including the highly recommended Hidria Spacefolk from effing Finland) but not yet equalled. Their list of admirers includes everyone from Mikael Akerfeldt and Peter Lindgren of Opeth to Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy and Therion's Christofer Johnsson, along with Rowan from Persephone's Dream, Gregoor Van der Loo (remember Lemur Voice? :)) and -- just recently -- Devin Townsend.

Dead Can Dance. Another unique band who sound like no-one else, really. World music with Middle-Eastern, Celtic and Native American influences...and that's for starters. I'd recommend the live CD or DVD Toward the Within, although the live recordings from the just-finished European and US tour sound great, too! I've seen them twice now, including last month at Radio City Music Hall, and, well...words fail. Among the two best performances I'll ever see.

Other non-metal bands I've been listening to lately include Oceansize (thanks, Ben!), The Cruxshadows, Godhead, Faith and the Muse, Bella Morte, and my friend Jamison Boaz's one-man* project Epsilon-Zero.

-=-=-=-
* one-teenager, to be more accurate: he was 18 when he recorded it, all by himself (!)

Try The Electric Flag (Miles Davis, Mike Bloombfield)
Two albums....A long time Comin' and The Band Kept Playing

or

Johhny Winter - Austin Texas....laid back ass kicking stuff....easily one of his best.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds....
Lou Reed.....

http://www.iloverichardcheese.com/disco.html

One crazy m.f. (Richard Cheese) he does covers ala lounge lizard style. Definately something differant.

also http://www.sigur-ros.is/
Sigur Ros hard to describe their sound....eclectic "background" music?

for the funk, you'd have to go with Grand Master Flash, Lakeside 5 and but of course George Clinton/Parliament!

A must to go with Pellaz' choice of Dead can Dance. Amazing, powerful, truly talented musicians.

I've got your fix.

Total nostalgia.

Go get:

The Brian Setzer Orchestra: The Ultimate Collection LIVE

If this album doesn't make you wanna jump up and dance, regardless if you're as white as me and have as little rhythm as me, you're comatose. Makes me wanna go get a big ass double-bass, jump on top of it, and start slappin away! Seeing him on the 9th. I am GEEKED.

GAWD I love his trumpet player. And James Bond... heh heh heh...

I'll second the Brian Setzer Orchestra.

I have all their studio stuff (do not have the live one).
He certainly can be catagorized as an underated guitarist, Setzer can play, bigtime.

The Trumpet, Guitar solo trade offs on Jumpin East of Java is outstanding (Vavoom Album). Not sure which of the three is playing the horn, but outstanding playing.

Unca Kev said:
WOW! It's nice to see that there's some other folks in here that listen to jazz fusion as well as the usual genres we talk about here. I was begining to think that there were only a few of us. I've always thought that fusion and prog are 2 sides of the same coin. Anyways, in that vein (jazz fusion, since most of the others are listing a lot of the same metal bands that I would post) I could recommend some artists, that would be a change of pace from the various kinds of metal and rock that you listen to and haven't been listed already. These are some off the top of my head. If you're interested in more, or jazz players that play instruments other than bass or guitar, let me know.

John McLaughlin - He was in Mahavishnu, so you'll be familiar with him.
Stanley Clarke - I found out about John McLaughlin through him. A bass legend that has played with the best and scored plenty of movies.
Jaco Pastorius - Self proclaimed "World's Greatest Bass Player" (with GOOD reason)! An influence on many bassists after him. He's dead now, but listening to his son Felix play around here locally, in the group Way of the Groove, is the next best thing!
Victor Wooten - I'd pretty much say that he's the greatest bass player now. He tears it up on the bass! Your jaw will drop! He has played with Bela Fleck (the jazz banjoist).
Tribal Tech - Pretty heavy and weird for a jazz fusion band.
Christian McBride - You may have heard of him through some of the famous people he's played bass for.
John Pattitucci - Does lots of classical and latin music too. Played with Chick Corea.
Charlie Hunter/Garage a Trois - this will really change it up for you...he plays an 8 string guitar (3 bass strings and 5 guitar strings) to be able to play bass and lead or rhythmn guitar at the same time. In fact one solo album he did with only a percussionist and it was some of his best stuff.

If you want something even more different, sometimes when I watch BET Jazz, I find jazz artists, groups or collaborations that blow my mind and redefine what jazz can be. I think that it was on Thanksgiving or the weekend before that, I saw Chick Corea, Bela Fleck and Bobby McFerrin play together. That was something else!

, that's not jazz fusion, there's always Primus and Les Claypool's other projects too. Also the progressive/avant guard rock group King Crimson. You've probably already heard of theese bands, but it's hard to get more different than that!

some nice calls with: McLaughlin, Clarke, Jaco, and Wooten. Al Dimeola and Holdsworth are some of my favs in that jazz fusion ring as well.

Are you familiar with either Cold Blood or Graham Central Station? Some excellent dirty funk that has a more rock base, much more interesting than most traditional slap-bass funk (parliament funkadelic comes to mind).

I just got BET Jazz as well, and Im really liking some of what I hear! Caught some OLD OLD Louis Bellson performances (the father of double bass drumming kids), and it was awesome ot hear him in his hey-day, and be able to SEE it too. as the days pass, BET Jazz is becomming one of my favorite channels. Kind of hard to fathom a BET network being one of my favorite channels these days, but it is!

A couple names I'll be checking out, I love posts like this!