Iconoclast reviews

But the band left the best for the last: closing song “When All is Lost” acts like a shorter version of the song “The Odyssey”. The epicness surrounding this song is undescriptible, the piano interlude during the first minute, the tempo changes, the riffs, and combined to what’s in in my opinion Russell best vocal performance ever, makes “When All is Lost” a very emotive listening and a very memorable experience. Once this track ends, it leaves the listener with a smile on the face, with just one word coming to his mind: wow!

That's what I'm talking about! :kickass:

Can't wait for this album.

That sure isn't a very professionally written review.

He sure hypes the album a lot though.

You're partially correct. I am far from being a pro in this, it's just a hobby for me. And english isn't even my primary language. And that review is my sole opinion, some might agree, some might disagree. But, I have been listening to metal/hard rock for almost 30 years, and I prefer to read reviews from a common guy rather than from an expert reviewer. Experts are 99% of the time elitist, they write in a beautiful way, but in the end the real message intended get lost. And again, it's just my opinion, but this album deserves the hype I gave.

The review paints a very pretty picture of the album, but it appears to be based on the single disc version alone. I'd be curious to see how the review would change based on a proper listen to the definitive version of the album (likely not much, judging by his / her love for every other track).

The review says that EoI and Dehumanized are "Both great but not the best ones on the album"? That's extremely reassuring to me, because even though I like both songs I know SX can and has done better, so that one statement has heightened my excitement even more so!(which I didn't think was actually possible)

Symphony X best album?
Better than Odyssey, V, and Divine....if this is true all shit my pants

but i doubt it

BUT i am really excited for the new album!

And that review is my sole opinion, some might agree, some might disagree.

Of course. But in reviews it's also possible (and pretty common actually) to point out some flaws too, even if there aren't many. Personally I like to see that because it shows the album from different points of view. It makes the review more objective and therefore more useful for the reader.

I'm not saying your review was bad, of course! (it isn't) It's just a personal preference of mine and a suggestion for future reviews by you. :)

Great to see this review and it sure is reassuring regardless of the truth. And yes the double disk version is the definitive one, this should be kept in mind.
I have a hard time believing it's their best album but I'm just going to try to believe it : ) I think even on their best albums there has to be 2 songs on each that are about equal to EOI and Dehumanized.

Anyway, I can't wait! I want to know more ><

no writing credits, as the source it's a digital promo. Here are the track lengths:

01. Iconoclast 10:51
02. The End Of Innocence 5:27
03. Dehumanized 6:47
04. Bastards Of The Machine 4:56
05. Heretic 6:24
06. Children Of A Faceless God 6:20
07. Electric Messiah 6:13
08. Prometheus (I Am Alive) 6:46
09. When All Is Lost 9:10

no writing credits, as the source it's a digital promo. Here are the track lengths:

01. Iconoclast 10:51
02. The End Of Innocence 5:27
03. Dehumanized 6:47
04. Bastards Of The Machine 4:56
05. Heretic 6:24
06. Children Of A Faceless God 6:20
07. Electric Messiah 6:13
08. Prometheus (I Am Alive) 6:46
09. When All Is Lost 9:10

Man, I seriously can't wait any longer.. So you really like this more than The Odyssey? I am like you in that I really am not into Paradise Lost. I rather dislike it actually. If this album is as good as The Odyssey I am seriously going to go crazy. And you haven't even heard the 2 disk version : )

Amazing ><

Man, I seriously can't wait any longer.. So you really like this more than The Odyssey? I am like you in that I really am not into Paradise Lost. I rather dislike it actually. If this album is as good as The Odyssey I am seriously going to go crazy. And you haven't even heard the 2 disk version : )

Amazing ><

Yes, I liked it more. I have been listening to this album since last wednesday when I got it, and should have listened to it nearly 20 times before writing the review, with 2 listens to all their catalog as well. And yes, I will purchase the 2 disk version. I am very curious about the 3 songs I am missing.

Yes, I liked it more. I have been listening to this album since last wednesday when I got it, and should have listened to it nearly 20 times before writing the review, with 2 listens to all their catalog as well. And yes, I will purchase the 2 disk version. I am very curious about the 3 songs I am missing.

Great, I hope your feelings haven't changed ; )

Better than The Odyssey... I can believe. It will be tough... but possible.
Better than V? though not IMPOSSIBLE, very unlikely, imo.
I consider V to be one of the best pieces of music ever written.
I don't know what I'd do if I found it to be better than V... my brain cannot comprehend!

Thanks for the review I am glad to hear you mention the 2 streamed released songs as described the way you did . I was hoping these were not the strongest songs on the album. Don't get me wrong i do like both songs they just don't wow me in any way . I usually listen to more of the instruments in bands but Russell is one of the few singers who i pay very close attention to. Anyway I am very much looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.