Idea for new forum

Mar 12, 2002
Underneath the bridge
Since we now have the departed forums hows about a board for Nirvana? They are one of my favorite bands and yes I know they were pretty mainstream at one point and are listened to by lots of nu-metallers etc. But I still think they are a great band and have been vastly influential over the years. Am I alone in my request?

Although I'm a big Nirvana fan myself, they weren't exactly metal :) More punk than anything (with loadsa pop thrown in)...

Originally posted by Mark

Sorry, but the 'grunge' genre is about as much a description as 'nu metal' :lol: it was a media movement, not a musical movement!

Acutally the phrase grunge wasn't invented by the media, but by some seattle fan according to Nirvana themselves. The media did give it loads of hype but the word grunge was being used by the musicians before the scene exploded.

I didn't mean that the media invented the term 'grunge', but they did perpetuate the whole lumping of bands together. I mean, when Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden - who sound NOTHING alike - are labelled as being part of the same rock sub-genre, then something's amiss!

Nirvana were pretty overrated indeed! I think Alice In Chains, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam are/were way better than Nirvana. But since the place here is called UltimateMETAL, I think we don't need a Nirvana forum.

Sorry, but the 'grunge' genre is about as much a description as 'nu metal' :lol: it was a media movement, not a musical movement!

And I think the decription new metal is very accurate :mad: I mean can't you see the similarities between, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Papa Roach and any other non extreme metal recently :err: :lol:

Seriously, at the beginning grunge had a distinct sound.. when it became convoluted and the media got hold of it maybe that was lost slightly, but hey, shit happens ;)

I didn't mean that the media invented the term 'grunge', but they did perpetuate the whole lumping of bands together. I mean, when Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden - who sound NOTHING alike - are labelled as being part of the same rock sub-genre, then something's amiss!

Yeah I see your point. But I think there are similarities between Soundgarden and Nirvana. Pearl Jam always seemed more of a metal band to me.