Immortal

The drumming RUINS Battles in the North. Unlistenable. Easily the worst drum production on a black metal album ever.

Disagree. Gorgoroth's Under the Sign of Hell has some pretty fucking terrible drum production.

But yeah, Immortal is pretty much a given classic. I don't listen to them much anymore though, just because I listened to them so much when I was first getting into black metal.

I'm not saying that the drums need to be upfront, they just need to be audible. They are barely audible on Blizzard Beasts. The guitar sound on that album is awesome though. The drums are absolute shit.

Too bad they'd be as shitty if they were mixed upfront. They're sloppy as fuck.

Immortal = Great band.

Pure Holocaust and Battles in the North are the ones I have, listen to them quite often. Need to get the other CDs.

Can't wait for the new one. :kickass:

I didnt like Under the Sign of Hell's drum sound at first, especially the snare, but its grown on me. Hopefully At the Heart of Winter is one of the albums I get for christmas.

I hope you like it more than I do. I enjoy it but I don't know why a lot of people put it as the high point of their discography, above the older stuff and above the newer stuff. 'Sons' sounds so much more like Immortal. 'ATHOW' comes off like this side project, to me, and some of the moments on it just plain don't work.

Love me some Immortal. SOTND is definitely my favorite and probably an unpopular choice, whether it has Thrash influences or not the album kicks some major ass.

I didnt like Under the Sign of Hell's drum sound at first, especially the snare, but its grown on me. Hopefully At the Heart of Winter is one of the albums I get for christmas.

Getting black metal for Christmas, something about that just doesn't sit right with me. If you wanna do anything black metal on Christmas just listen to it and don't celebrate or better yet torch some churches, but celebrating it with gifts of satanic metal?

*ahem* Remember this?

ImmortalXmas.gif

Nothing says Christmas more than Immortal.

Only heard Sons Of Northern Darkness, and I have to say, it's really amazing. Not a weak track on the whole album, definitely the best black metal record I've ever heard. Not a single flaw. I have to get Pure Holocaust.

I won't be no one special if I will say that I find "At the Heart of Winter" to be a flawless album.

I just downloaded Immortals discography, but I'm not quite into black metal yet i'm just trying to get the ear for it, so where should I start?