Imogen Heap

Mantraschism

Skáld
Oct 23, 2002
Augusta, GA (Lost in the Twilight Hall)
I realize this is rather different, and I hope I don't get lambasted for it, but... anyone else here like Imogen Heap? I got into her in the last month or so, not so much her first album 'I, Megaphone', but I think 'Speak for Yourself' has some really great songs. It has rather a melancholy tone throughout, and it's layered nicely, although her voice is a little thin at times. Well, I'll say no more until I see everyone's reaction....

Isn't this that band that was in that snl skit where they all shoot each other? If so it's one of the most hilarious songs I've heard. I thought it was a joke band.

hmmmm watcha sayyyyy? Hmmm what did yaaaa sayyy!?!

Yeah, that SNL short is the first time I ever heard her. I didn't like it either - I was like, 'What the fuck?' Also, I thought it was a dude with a feminine voice. That song, 'Hide and Seek', is actually really good, once you listen to the whole thing. It's the strangest song on the album, and it kind of throws off the balance a little, being placed right in the middle of the tracklist, but it really is damn good. The 'whatchya say?' part is actually sort of an accusation to somebody. That song has rather strange lyrics.

I definitely recommend that those of you who are even a little interested to pick up 'Speak for Yourself', because it's really the other songs that hooked me, especially 'Headlock', 'Have You Got It in You?', 'Loose Ends', and 'Just for Now'. But now 'Closing In' and 'The Moment I Said It', not to mention 'The Walk', are some of my favorites. A friend of mine said that that album reminds him of a movie, which each song being a different scene, and I think that's a good description. Check it out!