IN FLAMES Clayman Re-recorded 2020

Engelin does some serious work and easily adapts to different styles. But I don't think that he's in the band anymore.

The band should be named Anders, Bjorn and friends.
It is true that Engelin doesn't seem active with the band anymore, however he still claims to be a guitarist of In Flames on his instagram page (after engel and we sell the dead)

I've just realised that it's been two years since ITM was released.

Also, new Architects album For Those That Wish To Exist is out and it is pretty interesting.

I think Niclas is probably still in the band, just not in a touring capacity. Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up going the Niklas Sundin route and quitting after a few years of hiatus, though.

Also, going to be honest, I had no problem with In Flames making a more accessible, radio-friendly album with Battles, but I wish it sounded like the Passenger album instead of, well, Battles. It was Anders at his peak, imo. Niclas' songwriting was simple but really effective and unique.

Different style, but I'll put that disc up against In Flames' best any day, personally.

I like the Passenger album but it doesn't touch anything pre-2004 and isn't better than Come Clarity or SOAPF either. It's a neat little side project that could have evolved into something interesting, but ended up being a one and done.

I try to like Niclas’s stuff but it’s not the reason I was attracted to In Flames to start with. I’m looking for awesome melodies and solos.

I wish that we were walking backwards. That way, as someone once said, we would be seing IF going from a whatever modern metal band to melodeath legends.

Metal is the new pop. With that obsession for being popular and widespread bands are moving away from the basis of the genre an killing it

Hey everyone! been a good whole year since I was active, so hope the pandemic has treated you all mercifully. Looking over the last couple of pages theres a couple of things that caught my attention;

It was today I noticed on instagram that Bjorn had been working on new IF material. Honestly? I'm just waiting for the "in the studio" posts to start coming. My interest in the album wholly revolves around whether it is being produced by Howard Benson. If it is then i'm officially jumping ship as a defender of modern IF. Sure ITM has some good songs buried within it but after 2 years now it just feels like a less worse Battles. Dare I say I quite enjoy the idea of a Siren Charms 2.0 (as long as no Benson). At least, I'd take a more melancholic album, with a less sterile production (not that SC was superb in that department as we all know), and some non-autotuned vocals would be greatly appreciated. I'm still traumatised by how utterly embarrassing the Clayman 2020 EP was.

New Architects album got mentioned, as a huge Architects fan, idk how i feel, it has some really good songs but idk, when I think Architects, I think of Lost Forever // Lost Together, and All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us. I don't think of very safe, clean, butt-rock with a few 0s in there to keep the djenty bois happy.

Niclas is pretty much out the band from what I can gather, which is a loss as hes a great riff and songwriter. Engel's last 2 albums are great for what they are and thematically could blend very easily into In Flames's sound. Chris Broderick is a good replacement though, a very solid and well respected guitarist. He played well when I saw the curent lineup 2 years ago.

Lastly, Per Nilsson leaving Meshuggah is huge, new Scar Symmetry is long overdue. Criminally underrated band. Him Joining In Flames would be cool and could be mega, but I think that ship sailed long ago, if In Flames wanted to down a more technical path.

Reactions: galvanized
I'm still traumatised by how utterly embarrassing the Clayman 2020 EP was.
Lol I forgot that even happened, despite somehow posting on this thread. Just like the Down Wicked No Good EP. Hopefully forgotten forever. I think some aspects of the Clayman EP songs were cool at the time, but I will never forget the originals so what’s the point?