In Flames song you don't like

What's frustrating is that we've heard how awesome the likes of Moonshield and Artifacts sound live. Surely both are far superior to Graveland? It's not that Graveland is a bad song, but how many people would rate it as their favourite song on TJR? They've played Artifacts once in the last 10 years, whilst Moonshield got some time in 2017 after 11 years of nothing, and then disappeared again. I just don't get it.

As for Whoracle - Jotun rarely played (10 appearances in 2015, otherwise basically nowhere to be seen since 2000), Food for the Gods also played a handful of times in 2015 but otherwise nothing. According to setlist.fm they haven't played Episode 666 since 2009? The fuck? I'm not even sure that's true, but if so then fucking pathetic. Why have The Hive on repeat when these songs, all of which sound awesome live, are ignored?

Reactions: eochaid
Completely understandable picks, but man, I actually love "The Hive"... But I do get the live thing, the fact that "Jotun", "Episode 666", or even "Dialogue With the Stars" aren't played live is a fucking crime. My only guess as to why the play "The Hive" now is because it fits Anders' currently vocal style, but I couldn't tell you jackshit about anytime before 2019.

I'm probably being too harsh on The Hive honestly. It isn't a bad song. I just think they should play more songs from Whoracle live because there's some that really translate well. I've been lucky enough to see Jotun, Food for the Gods, Gyroscope, Episode 666 and Worlds Within the Margin live and they work. Anders and Bjorn's theory that they don't get a good enough reception is kind of lame. Maybe they would if you guys played them more often. You can't play a song once every 10 years. A live show is a live a show, but it's also sort of an advertisement for your catalog. You're trying to get people to buy your shit. Well, start introducing people to more of your old stuff, maybe they'll buy it and then there will be a better reaction to those songs live.

For anyone who genuinely likes metal, it'd take about 5 seconds to realise Jotun is awesome, even if you'd never heard it before. Episode 666 is just a banger regardless. I seriously can't believe they haven't played it for 13 years. That's just ridiculous.

Reactions: eochaid
I'm probably being too harsh on The Hive honestly. It isn't a bad song. I just think they should play more songs from Whoracle live because there's some that really translate well. I've been lucky enough to see Jotun, Food for the Gods, Gyroscope, Episode 666 and Worlds Within the Margin live and they work. Anders and Bjorn's theory that they don't get a good enough reception is kind of lame. Maybe they would if you guys played them more often. You can't play a song once every 10 years. A live show is a live a show, but it's also sort of an advertisement for your catalog. You're trying to get people to buy your shit. Well, start introducing people to more of your old stuff, maybe they'll buy it and then there will be a better reaction to those songs live.

Nah, I don't really think you're being too harsh. It's representative of a pretty big problem with their recent sets.

I guess I just want some variety in their sets. Even a band like Metallica mixes it up almost every single night they're touring. In Flames is very formulaic with their setlists. It always seems to be some new stuff, followed by some old stuff, followed by some more new stuff, end it with the hits. Just surprise us. Walk out on stage and open with Episode 666. Why not?

I remember when they "surprised" me by walking out in 2008 and opening with TCP. I genuinely thought they'd only play a couple of minutes of it at most as an intro or something, but no, the full 8 minutes. Fuck. But TJR, nah, just play part of that in a medley.

I remember when they "surprised" me by walking out in 2008 and opening with TCP. I genuinely thought they'd only play a couple of minutes of it at most as an intro or something, but no, the full 8 minutes. Fuck. But TJR, nah, just play part of that in a medley.

And what a surprise that must've been. Eight minutes of pure bliss!

A few years ago at Wacken they opened with My Sweet Shadow which was actually a nice surprise. But then the rest of the set, minus Pinball Map, was VERY standard. I think they kept that set for a bit around that time. Here's a question. Why don't they film and release shows like Borgholm Brinner? That same year they did something I never thought they'd do again. They played Ordinary Story and Colony in the same set. That's what we need. An official live release with some of that sweet, sweet old stuff.

As far as I'm aware the BB concerts were filmed professionally (2019 was at least) but for some reason they've only released some of the footage. It is strange, as it seems an obvious thing to release to not only generate some sales but also promote the festival.

As for TCP, just makes zero sense to open a metal show with that. You want the first song to get your blood pumping and get you moving, not send you to sleep.

As much as I love "The Chosen Pessimist"... What the fuck? Why? Jesus Christ, no, not like that...

As far as I'm aware the BB concerts were filmed professionally (2019 was at least) but for some reason they've only released some of the footage. It is strange, as it seems an obvious thing to release to not only generate some sales but also promote the festival.

As for TCP, just makes zero sense to open a metal show with that. You want the first song to get your blood pumping and get you moving, not send you to sleep.

Yeah, especially because their last live album was terrible. At least the setlist was. Twenty fucking songs and we get Resin? The worst song on Colony? I think they need a live album with two nights worth of material. A classic set and then a newer set. Come on, give us old guys something.

"Commenting on the release, guitarist Bjorn Gelotte said "This DVD is for everyone who was been following our career; we have songs from the early years, the middle years and the new era"

Uh huh... riiiiight

I remember hearing some clips from the dvd and thinking it sounded like shit. Never saw anything beyond that. It just didn't interest me. Used & Abused is still the king.

I'm sorry, as much as you 'what' The Chosen Pessimist?

:D

I actually like TCP- Make no mistake, I do think that it's needlessly long and fails to avoid getting in a lull, which "Wallflower" did much better, but I do still like the song. It's one of the only songs from ASoP that I can actually listen to without wanting to cave my own skull in, and the cleaner, softer overdriven guitars have a wonderful tone to them. It's also one of Anders' better performances on the album, but I'll probably get some pushback on that.

Yeah, especially because their last live album was terrible. At least the setlist was. Twenty fucking songs and we get Resin? The worst song on Colony? I think they need a live album with two nights worth of material. A classic set and then a newer set. Come on, give us old guys something.

"Commenting on the release, guitarist Bjorn Gelotte said "This DVD is for everyone who was been following our career; we have songs from the early years, the middle years and the new era"

Uh huh... riiiiight

Oh, man, I forgot "Resin" even existed when making my least favorite list. Just edited to put that on there because yeah, that's one that does nothing for me. Can't believe I actually forgot about it, but I was probably happier doing so. And Christ, what a lackluster setlist. "Resin", Delights and Angers", and as much as I like the songs, WEWO, "Paralyzed" and "Through Oblivion" back to back to back live? How are you going to inherently have a quarter of your 'historic' setlist be duds right off the bat? Fucking hell.

Reactions: mindd
Okay here goes nothing, here's my list

Lunar Strain: I actually don't have any favorite nor the song I don't like, I never get into this album anyway, doesnt feels like IF to me.
Subterranean: Biosphere
The Jester Race: The Jesters Dance
Whoracle: Morping into Primal
Colony: Coerced Coexistence
Clayman: Another day in quicksand
Reroute to Remain: Metaphor
STYE: In search for I
Come Clarity: Your bedtime story is scaring everyone (this album was actually really hard)
ASOP: Disconnected
SOAPF: All for me
SC: Monsters in the ballroom
Battles: The Truth
I The Mask: Follow Me

Some interesting choices there my friend. I really like the guitar work on Biosphere, next to Stand Ablaze I'd consider it the second most memorable song on the Sub EP. ISFI has a stupid chorus but you really dislike it more than Bottled? :D ISFI is generally one of the tracks that gets the most praise from STYE. Can't argue with any of your choices post-CC though. Monsters in the Ballroom actually sounds quite cool instrumentally, but Anders' vocals just don't work on that track for me at all.

Oh, man, I forgot "Resin" even existed when making my least favorite list. Just edited to put that on there because yeah, that's one that does nothing for me. Can't believe I actually forgot about it, but I was probably happier doing so. And Christ, what a lackluster setlist. "Resin", Delights and Angers", and as much as I like the songs, WEWO, "Paralyzed" and "Through Oblivion" back to back to back live? How are you going to inherently have a quarter of your 'historic' setlist be duds right off the bat? Fucking hell.

Resin is a really forgettable song to me. For that live DVD, it just seems to fit that they chose only one pre-Clayman song and that was it. Par for the course. Generally I feel like when bands make a live album/live DVD they really try to give you a well rounded set, but In Flames did the exact opposite. Again, par for the course. My argument is the same as it was 15 years ago. If they don't want to play stuff from The Jester Race and Whoracle, fair enough. But just mix up the set. You don't HAVE to play 'the hits' every single show.

I like Resin, but it's certainly not one of the killer tracks off Colony. Why you'd play that instead of... well, practically anything else off Colony is a mystery to me. The band go on about people not moving to their old shit, and then play a slow song like Resin? Try Embody the Invisible, Zombie Inc, Insipid 2000, Coerced Coexistence... basically anything else.

It's a bit like when they played WWTM briefly in 2006. Don't get me wrong, awesome track, but why choose that to play live instead of Jotun, FFTG, Morphing Into Primal, etc... if their goal is to get people moving and pumped up for the older songs I don't know why they pick the slower tempo stuff to play.