In need of help from an Opethian guitarist

Abedeth

Aug 7, 2008
Lebanon
I absolutely love the acoustic part in the song right after the solo, a work of genius.
The problem is I have never played anything with a different tunning than the standard one and therefore have no idea how to detune my guitar to the one in The Baying of The Hounds.

Can you help me do so? can you show me or tell me how to achieve that tunning?

If you have guitar pro then take BotH tab, double clik on the guitar to show its tuning then click on the little speaker next to strings to give the open string voice. Then tune your guitar accordingly.

Well....Now we see this, I was wondering how do they do with those songs like GoP and BoTH, cause they're in open D in the album but they play it in drop D live, so did they have to translate all the riffs?

I absolutely love the acoustic part in the song right after the solo, a work of genius.
The problem is I have never played anything with a different tunning than the standard one and therefore have no idea how to detune my guitar to the one in The Baying of The Hounds.

Can you help me do so? can you show me or tell me how to achieve that tunning?

It's in DADFAE. That means, from lowest in pitch (thickest string) to highest in pitch (thinnest string):

1) Detune your low E (thickest string) down by one step (2 semi-tones).
2) Leave the A string alone..
3) Leave the D string alone.
4) Detune your G string down by one step (2 semi-tones)
5) Detune your B string down by one step (2 semi-tones)
6) Leave the high E string alone.

A tuning pedal or a handheld tuner is highly recommended for this.

To anybody who tries to say that the songs are in DADFAD: you're wrong. Mikael has said in various interviews that the open D songs on GR are in DADFAE, which makes a shitton of difference.

It's in DADFAE. That means, from lowest in pitch (thickest string) to highest in pitch (thinnest string):

To anybody who tries to say that the songs are in DADFAD: you're wrong. Mikael has said in various interviews that the open D songs on GR are in DADFAE, which makes a shitton of difference.

How do I use my tuner for this? how do I take it down 2 semi notes? Im completely ignorant when it comes to tunning. help Nicholas?

How do I use my tuner for this? how do I take it down 2 semi notes? Im completely ignorant when it comes to tunning. help Nicholas?

Does your guitar have a Floyd Rose bridge? If not:
You tune your strings down by turning the tuning knob of the string clockwise.
While you're turning the knob, you pluck the string. You keep doing that until your tuner says "D" for the low E-string, "F" for the G-string, etc.

I know how to tune to the standard tunning using my tuner and how to rotate the pegs and all but I dont know how to follow the reading for the other tunnings on my little device thats all.

Thanks guys.

You probably need a better tuner. Some of the tuners that come with starter packs only will do standard tunings. Look for a chromatic tuner.

To anybody who tries to say that the songs are in DADFAD: you're wrong. Mikael has said in various interviews that the open D songs on GR are in DADFAE, which makes a ####### of difference.

I've always been almost certain that Harlequin Forest was in fact DADFAE but the others were DADFAD. I know it makes a huge difference on the acoustic section of HF but I'm not really convinced on the other ones (though the only full songs I've learned are HF and GoP so I really haven't had to use my 1st string much - only done heavy lower riffs on TGC and TBotH) Can anyone confirm this with a link or anything? Also, similar subject, what tuning is Beneath the Mire, I've been too lazy to figure out tunings on my own since I'm #### at that compared to figuring out riffs.

Come to think of it, that riff w/ growling at about 6 minutes of GoP would be easier with an open E instead of a 2nd fret E...

GoP is definitely in DADFAE. You can here the open high E ringing out twice during the acoustic section.

2:34 (barred 12th fret natural harmonic)
2:40 (second to last note before "winding ever higher")

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always been almost certain that Harlequin Forest was in fact DADFAE but the others were DADFAD. I know it makes a huge difference on the acoustic section of HF but I'm not really convinced on the other ones (though the only full songs I've learned are HF and GoP so I really haven't had to use my 1st string much - only done heavy lower riffs on TGC and TBotH) Can anyone confirm this with a link or anything? Also, similar subject, what tuning is Beneath the Mire, I've been too lazy to figure out tunings on my own since I'm #### at that compared to figuring out riffs.

Come to think of it, that riff w/ growling at about 6 minutes of GoP would be easier with an open E instead of a 2nd fret E...

Yeah, the rest are definitely DADFAD. Mike doesn't know what he wrote his material in, clearly. Exactly. I'd believe Mike when he says the open D material was in DADFAE.

antipunx13: I always thought BTM was in standard E, but then again my ears aren't as accustomed to low Ds on a guitar as they are to low Ds on bass (the bass is definitely in drop D on BTM).

hmmm...haven't listened to that song in awhile actually, I thought I remembered there being low Ds near the beginning, like the "haunted nights" part.

hmmm...haven't listened to that song in awhile actually, I thought I remembered there being low Ds near the beginning, like the "haunted nights" part.

it could possibly be in drop D but then again it could be overtones from a higher D being played...I always thought it was in E but I could be wrong and I dont think mikes ever stated the tuning on that particular song

Well, I listened to the song again...it does seem that there are a lot of low E's, so maybe it is in standard.