Ion Vein - Reigning Memories

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Ion Vein - Reigning Memories
Majesphere Records - 2003
By Adam McAuley

reigning_memories_cover_large.jpg

Ion Vein are a progressive lovers gem in the rough. Certainly a standout release for the genre, Reigning Memories is an all around classy effort. A dreamy atmosphere is created by the band and woven throughout the twelve quality tracks on display.

The first thing you'll notice after popping the CD into your player is the striking resemblance of throatman Russ Klimczak to Nevermore vocalist Warrel Dane. He couldn't pick a better singer to imitate, however, as Dane is one of the best in the business. He has it all; the dark undertone, large range, and completely unique approach. Just listening to Limczak is a treat in itself, and he enhances the proceedings immeasurably. The band itself are a very solid unit. The guitar riffs are enjoyable and the leads fantastic. The musical landscapes themselves also share common points with Nevermore, but have more of a tendency towards the neo-progressive stylings of Symphony X or Vandan Plas at times.

Lyrics are both fantastical and dream-like, and the entire package reminds me of my favorite concept albums Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime and especially Nevermore's Dreaming Neon Black. All of the tracks feature similarly wonderful progressive chord variations and dynamics, but some of my favorite pieces include “Another Life”, the acoustic ballad “Twilight Garden”, which features excellent saxophone playing, and the epic multi-part “Adrian's Ladder”.

If Ion Vein keep progressing in the way Reigning Memories suggests they can, and don't commercialize their sound, expect more good things in the future. The only downside to the album is that you've heard very similar stuff before, but rarely is it executed as well as it is here.

8.5/10

Official Ion Vein Website

Adam Mcauley deffinetly stands out as a great reviewer. A second time a review has coaxed me to buy a cd, and agreat one at that