Is a 25-key midi controller purchase a mistake?

53Crëw

Jan 31, 2007
So I was thinking of picking up an Axiom 25 or something similar. I don't imagine I'll use the thing a ton. (then again, once I get it, who knows?) At this point I'm thinking of using it to add some pads and other miscellaneous keyboard parts to songs.

My question is this: I was thinking of a 25-key controller just to save a little cash and space. Do you guys think it would be a mistake not to get at least a 49-key controller? On the 25-key controller, I guess I'd have to do left and right hand parts in two recording passes....

Cheers.

53Crëw;7591677 said:
So I was thinking of picking up an Axiom 25 or something similar. I don't imagine I'll use the thing a ton. (then again, once I get it, who knows?) At this point I'm thinking of using it to add some pads and other miscellaneous keyboard parts to songs.

My question is this: I was thinking of a 25-key controller just to save a little cash and space. Do you guys think it would be a mistake not to get at least a 49-key controller? On the 25-key controller, I guess I'd have to do left and right hand parts in two recording passes....

Cheers.

I guess that depends if you can play with both hands..I can't so i use a 25 key to place notes to be edited later. works good for me.

I have an M-Audio Axiom 25 and it is great for getting parts in. Most of my keyboard parts are pads and evolving sounds, or mellotron sounds, so I can one-hand a lot of it. When I need more range, I turn around to my Yamaha KX-88 midi controller from the 80s. A producer I worked with was cool enough to give it to me as a gift, it was his old touring keyboard from his artist years and it is regarded by many as the best midi controller keyboard of all time. Weighted keys, feels like a Yamaha grand, it's really amazing (and heavy as fuck!)

If you can find a KX-88 on the used market I highly recommend it over any 88 key controller made today. I sometimes use it to warm up for playing guitar, the weighted keys are serious business (try busting out with some Bach - feel the burn!!!)

I had a M-Audio 25 keys MIDI keyboard and it did the job on testing tones on Reason and VSTis, but I´m much happier now with Toneport KB37. With 37 keys you can at least do the chords with left hand while playing melodies with the right, it´s much better for writting ideas.