Is metallica the creator of thrash metal???????????????????

dbluntman

May 3, 2005
My opinion would probably be exodus since they formed i think before metallica. Exodus was already arranged before metallica.

Exodus in my opionion rarely gets aknowledge inregards to their music..
that sucks:Smug:

Exodus was a great band. I believe Slayer was around before Metallica. I also don't know if Metallica was ever really thrash per se.

Exodus was a great band. I believe Slayer was around before Metallica. I also don't know if Metallica was ever really thrash per se.

Is there really the first creator of thrash metal???
I wonder???
I would say slayer too but what about exodus???:headbang:

OverKill was before Metallica, they just didn't put out an album 'till '86 or something. Overkill's been around since 1980, I believe. It was not Exodus, though I think they were before MEtallica as well, Metallica just did the honors of refining and popularizing it.

i hate to say this, but metallica was the first thrash band. however, venom played a huge role in this. listen to the first albums of exodus, metallica, megadeth and slayer. all 4 have definite venom influence. the exodus demo wasnt really thrashy, it was more NWOBHM.

This I copied from wikipedia... so I did not write this.

1981 is seen as a critical year for the development of thrash metal, but work prior to 1981 helped shape the genre. Earlier influences on the genre include the 1975 Black Sabbath song "Symptom of the Universe", the first riff of the song is one of the earliest thrash riffs. The 1971 Black Sabbath songs Into the Void and Children of the Grave were also influential. [citation needed]Queen's 1974 song "Stone Cold Crazy" is cited as an early precursor of the thrash metal sound; Metallica won a Grammy Award in 1991 for their recording of the tune.[5] Similar to this song was "Ogre Battle" from Queen's 1974 album Queen II.[6]"Am I Evil" from Diamond Head's 1979 album Lightning to the Nations had a style similar to Stone Cold Crazy.[citation needed] German prog-metal band Night Sun had perhaps the fastest examples of early thrash metal appeared on the band's 1972 album Mournin' that featured the songs "Plastic Shotgun" and "Nightmare". [citation needed]The Stooges early work had a profound influence on Motörhead.[citation needed] The songs "I Got a Right" and "Gimme Some Skin", released in 1973, utilized a simple and fast paced beat that metal and punk thrash music would later come to resemble.[citation needed]

Judas Priest's 1978 song "Exciter", from the Stained Class album provided direct influence upon the development of the genre.[citation needed] The fast kick-drum intro and fast guitar solos of the track were notorious for artists of the era.[citation needed] Judas Priest was not a thrash band themselves, but thrash bands like Slayer, Venom, Testament, Metallica, and Megadeth cite them as a major influence.[citation needed]

Motörhead's fast and aggressive music was a major influence on the genre.[citation needed] Motörhead's 1979 Overkill LP may have been the inspiration for the name of the New York based band[citation needed] In 1981 Overkill would write what is often considered the first thrash metal song: "The Beast Within".[citation needed] Soon after "The Beast Within" was released, a Southern California band named Leather Charm would write the song "Hit the Lights". Leather Charm was a short-lived band that would soon break up. The primary songwriter for Leather Charm, James Hetfield, formed Metallica which would go on to feature this song.

The European thrash scene that began in early 82 was almost exclusively influenced by the most aggressive music both Germany and England were producing at the time. Bands such as Motorhead, Tank, Raven and Venom from England, along with German metallers Accept were the artists of the time that were fueling the rising teutonic thrash scene that produced Sodom, Kreator and Destruction.

The band Metal Church recorded a few rehearsals in 1980-81 that were similar to the early efforts of Metallica and Overkill,[citation needed] though not quite as thrashy. The band Venom is also considered a pioneer of the genre because of their work on the 1981 album Welcome To Hell and the 1982 album Black Metal.[citation needed] Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Testament and Exodus cite Venom as a major influence.[citation needed]

The first thrash metal demo may be Metal Church's Red Skies from late 1981. Red Skies was an instrumental demo that combined elements of thrash, speed, and power metal.[citation needed] The single did not receive much circulation and was overshadowed by their October, 1982 demo Four Hymns.

Metallica was the second act on the scene.[citation needed] Metallica released the No Life 'til Leather demo in July 1982, and was the second band to release a studio LP,after Venom released two (one in 81, One in 82), titled Kill 'Em All in July 1983. Shortly following the release of Kill 'Em All, fellow thrash band Slayer released their debut full length album entitled Show No Mercy in December 1983. The European band Artillery recorded the demo We Are the Dead in November, 1983. This demo took a more Black Sabbath oriented direction and resulted in a thrash metal form that was not as fast as the style of Metallica, but had a similar riff style.

Let the discussion begin.

How about an honorable nod for Metal Church and Flotsam n Jetsam? I know they were on the way early thrash scene under different names or some shit like that.

who created thrash?
probably judas priest with exciter, accept with fast as a shark and twisted sister with tear it loose

Gotta be Motorhead, they were out a decade earlier, and the style has been their trademark... The bands mentioned above ^ only had occasional fast songs.
When I type "Motorhead" I always wish I could do those two little dots on the top of "o". But, I guess, only Arg has ability to show off this way...

Gotta be Motorhead, they were out a decade earlier, and the style has been their trademark... The bands mentioned above ^ only had occasional fast songs.
When I type "Motorhead" I always wish I could do those two little dots on the top of "o". But, I guess, only Arg has ability to show off this way...

i meant to say motorhead too. sorry.

i'm glad you didn't rag on me for putting twisted sister and especially that song tear it loose into a thread dealing with metal. i did that in the megadeth forum and got persecuted for mentiong them. everyone was saying twisted sister was and never will be metal. i was like wtf

i hate to say this, but metallica was the first thrash band. however, venom played a huge role in this. listen to the first albums of exodus, metallica, megadeth and slayer. all 4 have definite venom influence. the exodus demo wasnt really thrashy, it was more NWOBHM.

i don't know who was first but, venom's "welcome to hell" was def a starting and reference point for a lot of bands (thrash and black metal). motorhead was ripping it up def way earlier than any "thrash" bands also. just look at old pics of the thrash guys. the patches on their denium vests tell you who they were influenced by :headbang: