I've never done a recording.

Fragarach

Feb 21, 2010
Hey,
I'm Eshaan from India.
I'm really new at AE. Like just out of the box. I've been reading this forum for the last 3-4 weeks.

I've never done a recording (unless you cant the voice recordings i did when i first discovered a computer can be used to record.)
I've got a DAW (Nuendo) and learnt it to a decent level.
Ive also got a Line 6 Toneport UX 2, an SM 58 and Superior 2.0

would be cool if you guys could push me in the right direction.

How do you usually start? program the drums first.. then guitars then bass then solos then vocals?

When mixing what do you start mixing with?

What is a must when mixing?

Thanks!

Is it just me or there ALOT of noob threads the past day or two?

Read the sticky's in the production tips forum.
Learn about the basic's of eq and compression.
Read everything about audio you can, anywhere you can find it (websites, magazine articles, books)
Experiment lots.
Experiment some more.
Set aside several years to spend obsessing about audio, learning to hate all the records you used to love because of their shit production, wondering "why the fuck doesn't it sound pro!?!?!" and getting generally pissed off with anything to do with music. Having all creativity blocked because you're concentrating too much on tones etc.

How do you usually start? program the drums first.. then guitars then bass then solos then vocals?

Learn to play your stuff SUPER tight first. If you get this sorted then everything else is soooo easy after. Record guide tracks to a click, program drums, record guitars & bass, record vocals.

When mixing what do you start mixing with?
Lots of differing opinions on this. Some start with drums, then add bass, then guitar, then vocals. Some go backwards from there. Some just push the faders up and figure it out from there.

What is a must when mixing?
High pass anything that doesn't need low bass content (basically anything that's not kick/bass/floor tom/subdrops)
Compress anything that has a large dynamic range (bass, vocals, drums, clean guitars)
DON'T USE THE SOLO BUTTON! LISTEN TO THINGS IN THE MIX!
Don't let anything clip.
Trust your ears.
Go easy on the eq, if your source sounds are decent you shouldn't need to resort to heavy eq-ing

Compose the song, learn to play it

+1

Get this part done first.
It may sound obvious but many many people record songs and the performance is poor. They then attempt to mix, eq etc to hide the poor performance.
Its then posted on the rate my mix section with disclaimers of "I know the performance could be tighter". Guess what the replies normally say?

Start with the basics.
4/4 beat with a simple chord progression.
Add a bad ass bass line.
Add a blues solo.
Add some vocals or drop in samples.
This could just be a couple of bars in length. Dont start recording a Metallica epic from day one.

This should keep you busy for a while if done correctly.
During this time read up on EQ guides etc posted on here and apply this to your solid performance.
Dont just post asking "how can I make this sound better". Listen to the song, ask yourself questions
"what do want this to sound like?"
"why is it sounding bass heavy, too thin etc"
"how can I make the drums and bass sit better in the mix" etc etc
All of these answers are in the mentioned guides.

Most of all. Have fun with it.