Jazz Fusion

Ekkratuj said:
Question for anyone on the board: is anyone a fan of the style? Specifically artists like Jean-luc Ponty or Al DiMeola?

Hey, this is my first post on the Borknagar forum but i have been a fan of Spiral Architect/borknagar for ages!

i'm a huge fusion fan. Allan Holdsworth, Tribal Tech, Chick Corea Electric band, CAB, Greg Howe, Tony MacAlpine, Gordian Knot, bill bruford, Frank Gambale etc. are my favourites.

Frank Zappa is my favourite of ALL TIME though(he's not really fusion but the guy was a genius :worship: )

Jean-luc ponty is incredible(he's on a few zappa albums and he played with holdsworth)

Al dimeola has got an unbelievable picking technique so :headbang:

i've heard a small amount, but not enough to form an opinion. what i do know is that i respect the hell out of these guys as musicians, dimeola, holdsworth (ESPECIALLY holdsworth), macalpine, etc. they do things that nobody else really does, and in holdsworth's case, that nobody really can. not only are they this good technically, but they can put it together to sound so great. i heard a holdsworth solo once that was more jazzy, so it was all out notes (notes not of the chord), but they sounded so perfect! that kind of thing amazes me, not so much technique anymore (i was foolish once).

Necramentia said:
i've heard a small amount, but not enough to form an opinion. what i do know is that i respect the hell out of these guys as musicians, dimeola, holdsworth (ESPECIALLY holdsworth), macalpine, etc. they do things that nobody else really does, and in holdsworth's case, that nobody really can. not only are they this good technically, but they can put it together to sound so great. i heard a holdsworth solo once that was more jazzy, so it was all out notes (notes not of the chord), but they sounded so perfect! that kind of thing amazes me, not so much technique anymore (i was foolish once).

most holdsworth solos contain notes that reside outside the typical scales. But i think i know what you are talking about- probably something off 'The Sixteen Men Of Tain' or 'Heavy Machinery' . heavy machinery is holdsworth with the johansson brothers(jens and Anders). Ridiculously good album!!

A good place to start with holdsworth would be the live album released a year or two ago 'all night wrong' BUY IT NOW!!!! :OMG: