Joey: 'I Could Have Sang On Any' Of JOHN BUSH-Era Albums

Joecephus

Mar 15, 2005
Cleveland, OH
www. joecephus.com
Via Blabbercrap:

Speaking to MikeJamesrRockShow.com about how it feels to be back with ANTHRAX thirty years after he first joined the band, Joey said (see video below): "Personally, it sucks just to think all those years went by that I didn't really have a chance to do anything. 'Cause I could have sang on any of those records [that were made during the John Bush era]. Not to say that what they did was… whatever reason and whatever style and all that stuff. I could have easily sang that regardless, no bones. It would have been easy to sing. It's just I think they were chasing some other idea. I always say that, whether they disagree. I don't think there was any reason to move. But you know what? We're here now."

I dunno we are two month away from a new album, the second album since Joey's been back. Yet we are still hearing stuff about the period he was gone. You're back, you released a kick ass album in Worship Music, you (hopefully) have another kick ass album coming out in For All Kings... why are we still talking about the albums you wren't on?!?!

This is almost word for word the same answer he gives every time when asked about this.

aka not news

Reactions: MrF33n3y
We keep hearing about it because people in the media keep asking about it. Like the guy above me said - Joey just gave a straight up answer no different to what he's always said. Hardly a headline - but that's the media again for you.

Not seeing the "bitter" vibe. Joey sounds pretty relaxed as usual especially considering he's answering the same repetitive questions about his absence from the band.

Joey never seems bitter, more like 'bitterly resigned' to the fact that that was their choice in 1992. He always struck me as a very decent guy, humble, and perplexed at why they sacked him in 1992. The back and forth in 2006 after reunion tour didn't seem to faze Joey either, I'm sure he was awfully disappointed and puzzled, but he is a good guy and just seems to be happy to be back and singing with them again.

Fantastic vocalist, a humble guy, very talented, and much as I like Bush and two of his albums with the band (SOWN and Stomp), Joey is THE singer of Anthrax. Nothing but respect for the guy; he's been gracious when Scott and Charlie were not very nice to him or about him.

He could have sang on those records, but they would not have been as stellar and strong with him on vocals.

Bush is a much better singer, lets face it.

As good as WM was,and FAK is, they have not been able to write a stronger song than Safe Home.

Can you imagine Safe Home sounding the way it does with Joey singing ?

He wants to prove he can sing the Bush material ? Then introduce some songs from that era into the live set and let the fans decide.

It's a similar situation to Corabi and Motley Crue.

Joey may be the man for Anthrax, but he isn't half the singer John Bush is.

Breathing Lightning is kind of in the vibe of Safe Home I'd say. Still prefer John's vocals to Joey's, I think the new Saint record has proven it for good. Joey is ok on the new record but still there are some things in his vocals that are terribly annoying, he sounds like he's got something in his mouth or a bad cold at times, and I'm not even talking about the cheesy 80's vibrato he's still (ab)using.

Breathing Lightning is kind of in the vibe of Safe Home I'd say. Still prefer John's vocals to Joey's, I think the new Saint record has proven it for good. Joey is ok on the new record but still there are some things in his vocals that are terribly annoying, he sounds like he's got something in his mouth or a bad cold at times, and I'm not even talking about the cheesy 80's vibrato he's still (ab)using.

Just listened to WIn Hands Down, killer song

I am surprised the official Anthrax youtube still has this

Killer performance

Last edited:
He could have sang on those records, but they would not have been as stellar and strong with him on vocals.

As good as WM was,and FAK is, they have not been able to write a stronger song than Safe Home.

He wants to prove he can sing the Bush material ? Then introduce some songs from that era into the live set and let the fans decide.

Joey actually wanted to do some Bush songs when he came back, that's why they played around with doing Only a handful of times. It was the rest of the guys that didn't like the idea of Joey singing Bush material. Unfortunately the setlists are written solely by Scott and Charlie (Or Frank I believe, when Charlie is absent), so they get the final say. I know they rehearsed 4 or 5 Bush songs, though I'm not sure what besides Only and Room For One More.

Get

your living In dreamland matey,I liked bush and he did some great stuff but u can't deny the chemistry they have with joey. Safe home is a decent song but quite forgttable

Joey Could have EASILY nailed those Bush-era albums but at the time Anthrax wanted to experiment with other things musically. Their choice.

Breathing Lightning >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Safe Home

FAK >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Win Hands Down

Its not even close. Win Hands Down is a decent album but Its laughable to compare it to FAK. Also, the melodies / hooks wouldn't stand out with the hypothetical scenario of John Bush on this album. Joey's vocal range is more dynamic and is what stands out on this album. Even non-Anthrax fans have pointed that out in the comments section of numerous sites.

Get

your living In dreamland matey,I liked bush and he did some great stuff but u can't deny the chemistry they have with joey. Safe home is a decent song but quite forgttable

Well the chemistry is that Joey is given the lyrics and melodies and sings what and how they want him to sing ;)[/QUOTE]

Joey actually wanted to do some Bush songs when he came back, that's why they played around with doing Only a handful of times. It was the rest of the guys that didn't like the idea of Joey singing Bush material. Unfortunately the setlists are written solely by Scott and Charlie (Or Frank I believe, when Charlie is absent), so they get the final say. I know they rehearsed 4 or 5 Bush songs, though I'm not sure what besides Only and Room For One More.

I read a review of a show in Germany few years ago, and the writer was in the backstage. He said that Scott and Frankie wanted to play Safe Home and Joey refused, even if they tried to convince him.
That being said it was probably better for the sake of humanity that he didn't touch that song. His version of Only was embarrassingly terrible and beyond.