Joey Tafolla

Like I said, I like players that mix it up, they go like hell but they come in and out of it with a few cool phrases, infact theres a key word right there "phrasing". The guys that get going like hell and never stop loose sense of phrase to a sizable degree, I dont care how many mode changes, alternative arrangements of the flurry of notes or variety of arpeggios they use, they only make one statement.... "look at me!...... Im so fast and articulate"

reasonable example on my behalf without ridiculing those Im less than fond of: SRV, one of my all time favorites... with more soul and passion than most... yet every once in awhile you can find places in some of his solos where he looses coherent passion because he just got going and wouldnt back down a knotch and let it breath.... but at least I can think of no examples of him doing that for four minutes straight.

Hey, Im guilty of this in a far more primitive sense with some of my "songs" and "riffs". They are hyper and just keep going and going, from one into another into another. 50% of my stuff has no less than 8 or more distinctly different "parts" that may only occur once.... lol Even some of the straight forward stuff I still feel the need to add "more", even though I know deep inside sometimes "less is more". So I guess its "if you can feel it go with it" and it is amazing that those serious shredders can tie all that stuff together and just keep going at the speed of sound, myself I'll always favor the player that shows some soul while doing so rather than a fretboard exercise, regardless the intensity of the workout.

hey J-Dub, you gotta get over to this thread now!!! Its epic as anything, with much flaming, and it is about to turn into a Guthrie Govan debate, I'm gonna need your firepower... :heh:

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5354

I did not see this until just now. I won't even peek first...
Guthrie help us! :heh:

That thread and 99% of the people in it are insanely retarded.

And who might be the 1% who isn't?
Shooting for 2%!

hey J-Dub, you gotta get over to this thread now!!! Its epic as anything, with much flaming, and it is about to turn into a Guthrie Govan debate, I'm gonna need your firepower... :heh:

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5354

I never really saw the "flaming" in this thread. Did I miss something?

Also, prog...you brought up Guthrie...poor Joey Tafolla's thread being intruded upon...it's probably the most anyone talked about him since 1990:lol:

schenkadere- the "blah"ing of your post was to make sure it was the important part that stuck out...that you listen to Guthrie. And I was, indeed, referring to the thread PMP linked to with the "99%" comment.