Jon Oliva accoustic show

carnut

\m/
Apr 29, 2004
Helgium
I'm really not into accoustic sets, they mostly bore the hell out of me, but I still am gonna try this Jon Oliva concert;

"special accoustic show"
Savatage Mastermind Jon Oliva presents
his Pain for a one-night only acoustic show featuring many Savatage Classics, songs from 'Tage Mahal plus lot's of musical surprises and stories about the history of Oliva/Savatage. Oliva and Company will break down all barriers this night as they perform this rare and intimate performance!

july 7th, Biebob, Belgium, doors 20.00, start 21.00.

Savatage/Jon Oliva is pretty much the only artist I'd love to see perform an acoustic show. Or any show for that matter...:cry:

Anyway, don't miss this one and be sure to give us a full report after the show.:cool:

carnut said:
I'm really not into accoustic sets, they mostly bore the hell out of me, but I still am gonna try this Jon Oliva concert;

"special accoustic show"
Savatage Mastermind Jon Oliva presents
his Pain for a one-night only acoustic show featuring many Savatage Classics, songs from 'Tage Mahal plus lot's of musical surprises and stories about the history of Oliva/Savatage. Oliva and Company will break down all barriers this night as they perform this rare and intimate performance!

july 7th, Biebob, Belgium, doors 20.00, start 21.00.

I think it depends on the artist whether I would like an acoustic show or not. 'Tage did lots of acoustic piano and a good bit of acoustic guitar when Chris was alive. It may be a good thing. However, as much as I love him, Jon has totally blew his voice out. I hope when I saw him, it was just an off night as it could have been..... but I am guessing his vocals are far from what they once were.
I like some acoustic stuff though. Maybe it's "old man" music, but I have always enjoyed Crosby, Stills & Nash (& Young.)

Bryant

You are an old man, Bryant...:heh:

I have one JOP bootleg from last year where he does a bunch of old Savatage songs and while his vocals on the heavier ones are very rough, the ballads come out nicely. So actually an acoustic set might work out very well because he wouldn't even have to try shrieking HOTMK or Sirens.

tsorl said:
You are an old man, Bryant...:heh:

I have one JOP bootleg from last year where he does a bunch of old Savatage songs and while his vocals on the heavier ones are very rough, the ballads come out nicely. So actually an acoustic set might work out very well because he wouldn't even have to try shrieking HOTMK or Sirens.

I saw him at Prog Power USA and he was frankly........... bad, but then again so was Edu Falaschi (Angra's vocalist) and though I'm not a huge fan of Angra, the guy has great pipes. Singers have off days.

I hope I am wrong about Jon. He is a great guy and is/was one hell of a vocalist.

Bryant

I saw Oliva at PPV, and a few times here locally since, and I thought he sounded great each time. I know some people who saw him at PPV didn't like the set, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think some of that is he started the set with new JOP stuff, that no one had ever heard before.

I think he is singing as good as he ever has and I would love to see an acoustic performance by the Mountain King.

I've seen JOP two times last year and cannot say anything bad about Jon's voice..He still hits the high "Sirens" notes as good as ever I think...I also like the fact that this concert will not only be music but also a bit stories and stuff, this can be a very, very nice evening....

Hawk said:
Congrats on your number 2000 post !!

haha, haven't even noticed that 2000nd post...I promised you to drag you to the next JOP concert , wanted or not , so a ticket for you is in me pocket ;-)

Sounds like it should be a great show Carnut. Looks like we won't get another Pain show until October. A record release thing for 'Maniacal Renderings' supposedly. Good thing is it will be at the place right by my house again!!!:kickass:

As far as Jon goes...I think he is sounding better than ever. Not sure which show Bryant was talking about for ProgPower (IV or V)? If it was the one where he sang with Circle II Circle for a few songs then I agree. He sounded horrible that night. To much smoking and partying I think. When Weapons Of Mass Destruction played he sounded great. The last time I seen Pain he was outstanding!:headbang:

I hope we get the acoustic thing too. I would love to see it!

"We are going to make some modifications for these acoustic shows. Were gonna trip the place out with some cool lighting, incents, lava lamps, some blankets to take a nap on, milk and cookies....you know, all the cool things that no one else will do....

Have no fear...we will scope out every venue and to what we can to create that killer vibe! "

haha, that sounds cool to me !!!