Judas Priest

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
Have heard a fair bit of Priest.... Mainly Halford era stuff.
Am going to see them if they come out in December.

Best albums to buy seeing as I have none?

I have heard 1 song off demolition.. Hell Is Home, and I like it.

Should I go for the Ripper era or the Halford era album first?

Same question from me, except I've got both Jugulator and Demolition.

I could certainly live without Jugulator, but I'm quite enjoying Demolition at the moment. :)

I know I need Painkiller.:mad:

Well to give you a good all-round sorta priest experience, Metal Works is a great album to start with. Its a good greatest hits album, and has most of the classics bar a few.

Then get, sad wings of destiny, stained class, british steel, screaming for vengeance, defenders of the faith and painkiller, in no particular order.

I cant bloody wait to see em december. I cant imagine how cool it would be if Rob was still in the band, but Ripper is no slouch :D

As a HUGE Judas Priest fan I feel I can make a valuable contribution to this post. I agree that Metal Works is a great place to start (it's where I started), but no metal collection should be without Unleashed in the East, the greatest live metal album of all time IMHO. It's even better than Live After Death mainly because the songs are vast improvements on their studio versions and have some different arrangements. If I could take one album to a desert island it would be that one without a doubt. I'd wait for the remaster though which should include bonus tracks.

As far as studio albums go, Sad Wings of Destiny is clearly my favourite. It's kinda slow and bluesy, but is a real classic (very different from the Ripper-era stuff). Others worth getting are Stained Class, Hell Bent For Leather, British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of the Faith & Painkiller. But again, wait for the remasters before you get them.

As far as Ripper-era stuff is concerned, I haven't liked the studio albums which they have done with him, but try to get '98 Live Meltdown where they do many of the old classics very well as well as some new songs. It should adequately prepare you for the concert.

Finally, it's not really a Priest album, but Halford's Live Insurrection is really cool. Get it NOW!!!!!

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by Drifter

Finally, it's not really a Priest album, but Halford's Live Insurrection is really cool. Get it NOW!!!!!

Thanks man, that was a great help. Resurrection and Insurrection are both great. :D

I was waiting for the Painkiller remaster, that why I hadn't bought it recently. So I guess I'll wait for the others too.

I agree with "drifter"

I love the priest - I have a large priest tatt on my right arm.
Metalworks is a great showcase of tunes that they have recorded.
Although - painkiller comprises of what i reckon ar the greatest elements of priest.
Great high screams "what album doesn't - Oh yeah anyhting with ripper"
Awesome shredding by the gods of the twin Gt attack
fabulous production - great drum sound - scott is lord.

also go out and buy the new DVD - the making of british steel - very very good.

P.S Can;'t wait for the tour - How do we bribe halford to visit australia???:heh:

Can't wait for the tour. Priest have been one of my favorite bands for a long time, the first album i got of theirs was" Unleashed in the East "fuking brillant although the cassette is getting a bit buggered now that was back in year 10 at high school. (1979)
Drifter I agree it is rather an excellant live album especially "Green Manlishi "which I though was an orginal not a cover . After that it was then British Steel , Screaming for Vengence, Defenders of the Faith, . However when i went overseas i saw they had relaesed Point of Entry which has the classics"Heading out on the Highway" ," Desert Plains" and" Hot Rockin". Again most of the stuuf I have is on cassette or Vinyl so I went out and got "BS & SFV" on this week. Sad Wings is to me a bit light on although not bad , my wife actully likes "Turbo" which to me was too commerical . When Rob left I lost interest but read that Ripper Owens was in a Preist "Cover " band so the signed him up. i do not have of this era but have heard him sing on the Ozzy Tribute CD AND gee he sounds very simlar to Rob HALFORD it an't fuunt im my opinion. The Preist Live Video is a good value , does any one know where i cant get Live meltdown cheaply here in Canberra they want $55 bucks fot it fuk that . Waht do you guys think of the new release .

Sorry to ramble but i am really looking forward to the tour.

Yup, Ralphe that would be excellant. Speaking of places to Crash you are coming to Canberra for Metal for the Brain , do you want to stay with us.