Just got home from seeing Periphery and TDEP : HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

Harry Hughes

  ‬‬
Apr 25, 2009
Holy fuck.
The gig was just fucking intense. I nearly got hit in the face by a mic stand because of Greg. He tried to jam it into the PA speakers mounted not far above me, and the stand fell and just narrowly missed my face:kickass:
Ben Weinman is just a fucking nutcase. Playing virtuosic guitar while going absolutely fucking apeshit. I've never seen a guitarist go that nuts on stage in my life until tonight.
Ben was rocking a Mark IV through a Recto cab, sounded fucking mean.
Periphery was super fucking tight. All 3 guitarists were rocking Axe FXs, but to tell the truth they actually had the weakest on stage sound of the 3 bands tonight. I guess having 3 guitarists on a fairly stage really doesn't help for intelligibility of the mix.
Bulb was playing a Bernie Rico Jr custom 7 string guitar, looked fucking ace.
The second support band, I expected to be a shitty generic metalcore band, but luckily enough, they ended up being surprisingly different to what I expected, some good stuff.

All in all, a fucking epic night of awesome musicianship and showmanship from all 3 bands:headbang:

Well Periphery of course and some band called Maylene and The Sons of Disaster. It was a good relief to have that band, because they were such a big departure from that usual annoying melodic metalcore support act thing that you seem to get half the time (like for Meshuggah, the melodic metalcore support act was absolutely fucking terrible, It Dies Today, absolute garbage).
The lead guitarist from Maylene was damn good. It's nice to actually hear some good vibrato for once and he's got it down perfectly.

Yeah, and to add to that Ben Weinman jumped into the crowd WITH HIS GUITAR STILL ON.
What a fucking nutcase.
If he played that stuff standing still the entire night, my mind would have been blown. But the fact he is by far the most fucking insane performer I've seen on stage playing that shit, is just incredible beyond belief.
It makes me depressed knowing I'll never have 1/4 of his talent while playing standing still

The DEP dudes are a bit over the top IMO. Nothing against going nuts on stage and classic stagediving... but headwalking and such antics out of the blue are quite irresponsible IMHO.

The DEP dudes are a bit over the top IMO. Nothing against going nuts on stage and classic stagediving... but headwalking and such antics out of the blue are quite irresponsible IMHO.

Eh, I don't think a single person complained about their performance antic
It was welcomed by everyone there. If someone doesn't like what they do, they don't have to go to the gig do they?
I mean shit, I nearly got hit in the fucking face, but I honestly don't really care, because the gig was fucking amazing and I had shit loads of fun.

Because nothing happened... You nearly got hit in the face, do you think you'd be so delighted if you left with a few teeth less and a broken nose?

I'm not saying they should lay off the antics, they're quite crucial to their live performances, but a few things are just a bit over the top IMO.

Things like this:

I'm not really looking for a debate here, cool that you had an awesome time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Because nothing happened... You nearly got hit in the face, do you think you'd be so delighted if you left with a few teeth less and a broken nose?

I'm not saying they should lay off the antics, they're quite crucial to their live performances, but a few things are just a bit over the top IMO.

Things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-lxwlgyhhA

LMFAO. What a bunch of fucking idiots, jesus christ.

Devin Townsend being THE MAN HIMSELF makes up for it though

I wonder how they can still play their instruments any good when they're going crazy like that.

The thing is, they seriously do pull it off, which just blows my mind.
Of the two guitarists, it's mainly Ben Weinman doing most of the stage antics, and he was goddamn tight the entire night.

The thing is, they seriously do pull it off, which just blows my mind.
Of the two guitarists, it's mainly Ben Weinman doing most of the stage antics, and he was goddamn tight the entire night.

Just think, most guitarists have trouble enough staying tight, these guys are dancing around like schizophrenic fucking monkeys, and sweeping at the same time :lol:

Things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-lxwlgyhhA

Lol at how little room the drummer is given, just because the singer wants to circle pit with himself on stage.

Nice lineup! Maylene are awesome. Some on the forum might not dig em, but I think they are pretty rockin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... wouldn't have expected a rock band opening for bands like Periphery and DEP. Sounds pretty cool, kinda reminiscent to Black Stone Cherry.