Kamelot

I like them quite a bit. But, not sure what the new sound will be like without Khan. I guess we'll see...

If I didnt know, but had to choose, I would have guessed that Kamelot was Symphony X given their operatic/symphonic metal style.

I liked The Black Halo quite a bit and, to a lesser extent, Epica. Karma and Ghost Opera are decent but kind of forgettable. I didn't much care for their latest album.

Overall, I find their songs to be too chorus heavy. They're almost like the pop music equivalent of power/prog. The instrumentals are certainly competent, but there just isn't enough emphasis on them for my taste.

That being said, Roy Khan was a fantastic vocalist. He pretty much made that band. I don't see how they can go on without him.

I liked The Black Halo quite a bit and, to a lesser extent, Epica. Karma and Ghost Opera are decent but kind of forgettable. I didn't much care for their latest album.

Overall, I find their songs to be too chorus heavy. They're almost like the pop music equivalent of power/prog. The instrumentals are certainly competent, but there just isn't enough emphasis on them for my taste.

That being said, Roy Khan was a fantastic vocalist. He pretty much made that band. I don't see how they can go on without him.

I didnt know too much of their history but can agree with you re: their songs, chorus heaviness. They seem to be talented and that guy sure can sing, too bad he is not in the band anymore.

I couldn't agree more. They have a lot of feeling in their music, but a lot of it is too straightforward for my tastes. My favorites are Epica, Karma, and Black Halo (their last two efforts were definitely pretty weak, especially their last one).

I've only listened to Black Halo and Ghost Opera. It took me a while to really get into both albums, but Black Halo is much better. When I say a while I really mean about 2-3 years...

They're quite good and I've liked the band since the beginning, even if the former singer was indeed rather mediocre. They've obviously changed their style over the years with all the different line-ups.

I think Kamelot can pretty much survive without Khan, considering that his voice was already far from his best anyway IMHO. I also think that Khan's first band, Conception, was actually superior to anything he did later with Kamelot. Their music was more imaginative, fresh, and less straightforward than Kamelot's.

I'm a fan of Kamelot, used to be obsessed with them but I've since grown apart.
Favorite albums include Fourth Legacy, Epica, and Black Halo.
The last two releases were kind of weak, sure. Ghost Opera definitely has a few tracks on it that are amazing, like Up Through the Ashes and Silence of the Darkness. The rest are okay in my book. PFTP is a little stronger for me, aside from The Great Pandemonium, which I can't seem to get into. The broken up title track is AMAZING though.

Center of the Universe was one of the first songs that made me interested in music for its own sake. I used to play Lunar Sanctum over and over again. I don't really listen to them anymore.

I welcome a change in vocals, since their style was stale from The Black Halo onward.

Edit: re-listening to the fourth legacy (one of the first CDs I bought) and it really is an excellent album. Europower usually sucks balls, so props to them for making an annoying genre pretty good!

Siége Perilous is their best album, by far.
SiegePerilous_cover.jpg

Siege Perilous is from the Arthurian legend, so the stupid name (Kamelot) actually somewhat makes sense for this album.
It starts off with Providence, which isn't a highlight exactly, but definitly a decent song. Introduces the general sound of the album and the orchestration.
Millenium is probably Kamlot's fastest song, with some wacky piano being introduced.
Then comes my favorite Kamlot song, King's Eyes. I like the intro, I love the riff and drums, and it also introduces some sort of horn/trumpet-thing (I dunno but it's great). Khan is great. Chorus is killer, but one of the best parts is the piano following the first chorus. Omfgggg. And after that is a great aucustic part. This song is so good.
Following King's Eyes is a song I feel is probably one of their more proggy efforts. The Expedition. Throughout the album, Khan has a bit of a "choked" voice, which everybody might not be a fan of, but it really works in this song. Especially during the verses.
Where I Reign has a beautiful intro. It's heavy on the orchestration and has some very nice melodies.
The next song Parting Visions, is superb. Most of the instrumental parts of this would fit into SX' The Odyssey (the song) no problem.
Once A Dream is the album's least good song, but also the shortest.
Rhydin has a the intro of a medival power mega-song, but abruptly changes pace and pretty much becomes a ballad. A good one though.
The pace changes again into more power-prog as Irea build up to Khan's sudden "IIIIIIIIIII had to climb the highest mountain!" Good song but not a huge fan of the chorus.
The album closes with Siege, an instrumental song with focus on guitars. Pretty damn good.

Siege Perilous is my favorite, yeah! I love the old school proggy power stuff.

I think Siege Perilous is fairly solid, but in my opinion it's much weaker than the several that followed it up. I think the music was written before Khan joined and it just didn't sound quite right for whatever reasons. Khan was also buried in the mix a bit. It's like they were still going for that regal Kamelot feel of the first two discs or something. If you ask me they didn't find their sound with Khan until The Fourth Legacy, which to this day remains my favorite. Everything came together on that one.

The Fourth Legacy, Karma, Epica, and The Black Halo rival any band when it comes to four disc in a row greatness. I also like Ghost Opera more than most .. seemed like a really good change of pace for them at that point. The latest is solid, but they started losing me a bit around the time it was released.

Britt

I think Siege Perilous is fairly solid, but in my opinion it's much weaker than the several that followed it up. I think the music was written before Khan joined and it just didn't sound quite right for whatever reasons. Khan was also buried in the mix a bit. It's like they were still going for that regal Kamelot feel of the first two discs or something. If you ask me they didn't find their sound with Khan until The Fourth Legacy, which to this day remains my favorite. Everything came together on that one.

The Fourth Legacy, Karma, Epica, and The Black Halo rival any band when it comes to four disc in a row greatness. I also like Ghost Opera more than most .. seemed like a really good change of pace for them at that point. The latest is solid, but they started losing me a bit around the time it was released.

Britt

Do you know why Kahn left the band? I think they have a good deal of chemistry together and I like them a good deal, some of their stuff sounds very similar to each other.

Britt

I completely agree with all of this. Ghost Opera has some really great moments, though the four previous albums are solid all the way through. I cannot get into Siege, for the reasons you mentioned: Khan seems like a hired gun.

Do you know why Kahn left the band? I think they have a good deal of chemistry together and I like them a good deal, some of their stuff sounds very similar to each other.

Firstly, his voice seems to be strained over the last couple of tours and especially the last album. I fully believe that he was extremely fatigued.

Secondly, there are small tidbits going around (from the band themselves) regarding Khan's religious conversion. I'm not sure what he was/is now in regards to beliefs, but the rumor is that Kamelot goes against his new religion in some way.