katatonia tribute review

insidethefall

somewhere nowhere
Jan 26, 2003
pittsburgh, pa
Visit site
Not my review, taken from
THE METAL OBSERVER - Review - VARIOUS ARTISTS - December Songs-A Tribute To Katatonia

CD 1
1. Midwinter Gates (Foscor)
2. Gateways Of Bereavement (Foscor)
3. The Northern Silence (Beatrik)
4. Without God (Forest Stream)
5. Shades Of Emerald Fields (Aeveron)
6. Palace Of Frost (Xasthur)
7. In Silence Enshrined (Wyrd)
8. Love Of The Swan (Geist)
9. Endtime (Dark Fortress)

CD 2
1. Brave (Loss)
2. Rainroom (Forest Of Shadows)
3. 12 (Helevorn)
4. Nowhere (Forgotten Tomb)
5. Cold Ways (Hel feat. Winterheart)
6. I Break (Farsot)
7. Saw You Drown (FragileHollow)
8. For Funerals To Come... (October Falls)

cov7812.jpg
I have heard people say that it was about time that one of the most influential Gothic/Doom/Death Metal bands received a worthy tribute album: KATATONIA. Now the small, but very quality-oriented German label Northern Silence heeded these calls and has compiled not just a tribute album, but a double CD concentrating on the early works of the Swedes and I must say that they did a pretty darn good job!

Garnished with a cover artwork by none other than Kristian Wåhlin the range spans from “Jhva Elohim Meth” all the way to one song off “Discouraged Ones”, so the lion’s share deals with the times, before KATATONIA discovered the more Alternative tinged musical regions. The covering bands can mostly be found in the Black Metal genre, with a few exceptions of course, which makes this a pretty interesting compilation indeed.

I could technically go into detail song by song or rather band by band, but instead I will just concentrate on the outstanding acts either way. FOSCOR add a certain Nordic Black Metal touch to the guitars and rhythm, which is a nice and positive surprise, while BEATRIK go even further and incorporate more of the traditional raw shriek and a bit tinny guitar sound that this style usually sports. While AEVERON do a very good job in transporting “Shades Of Emerald Fields” into their melodic and varied Death Metal sound, I am quite disappointed by XASTHUR’s take on “Palace Of Frost”, rougher sound, the vocals muddled into the instruments, probably my least favourite song among the whole 17 cuts on this compilation. On the other hand GEIST really surprised my very positively and DARK FORTRESS definitely sound different than what we are used to so far, creating a good middle way between their own sound and the original song.

On the second CD the highlights clearly are HEL (feat. Winterheart), who give “Cold Ways” their warm trademark sound, completely with clear vocals and some female support even, while FARSOT deliver very melodic music, a very harsh Black Metal voice and some half-spoken words as well, which, as weird as this may sound knowing my personal taste, actually fits really well and the violin sounds just great! And OCTOBER FALLS’ purely acoustic take on “For Funerals To Come…” is a moment of sheer brilliance at the very end, ending the whole thing on a high note, with the only downpart being FRAGILEHOLLOW, not because the band or version was bad, no, just because their kind of Pop-infused Gothic Rock absolutely does not fit into the context of this tribute…

But in any way, this definitely is among the best tribute albums that have graced my CD player so far, so if you are a fan of KATATONIA, you might want to check into this!

Whow! Sounds good... really looking forward to this [and that female support makes me curious *cough*]! ... Hmmm... I think Geist is a band from my lovely hometown [embraced by eternally dark forests and ruined castles from ancient times *hrhr*]... not quite sure though if there are several bands with the same name... so even more exciting to check this out x)

[embraced by eternally dark forests and ruined castles from ancient times *hrhr*]

Salient? What? I'm kidding, now just rambling. I don't really know why. I'm stupid beyond any doubt.

I haven't heard it yet but I think there should have been bigger names. It would have been interesting to hear bands like Agalloch, Rapture and Saturnus. Sadly I've never even heard of 1/2 of these bands before.

I haven't heard it yet but I think there should have been bigger names. It would have been interesting to hear bands like Agalloch, Rapture and Saturnus. Sadly I've never even heard of 1/2 of these bands before.

Yeah I hear ya on that. But it is special nonetheless. Every effort is appreciated and the more different the cover is from the original...I think the better it is because those bands make the song their own in a way.

Do we really need another cover of "Without God"? Which to me is one of thier more average songs but whatever. Why bother having another band redo it when Ocean Of Sorrow just did a cover on it on thier new album. Quite a good cover of it too, in fact I think it sounds better then the Katatonia version! Check out this doom band from Russia, it's a good cd. Might as well stick that on there.
I agree that Agalloch would be perfect for a song. Rapture definitly for they pretty much sound like where the "Brave Murder Day" sound left off. Saturnus I guess, why not.

I'd love to hear the cover of "Rainroom". That's probaly my favorite Katatonia song. I've heard of Forest Of Shadows but never heard thier music.

I agree that Agalloch would be perfect for a song. Rapture definitly for they pretty much sound like where the "Brave Murder Day" sound left off.

I have nothing to say about Agalloch, but Rapture is so close to BMD-style, I don't think they would give anything new to those songs. I'm sure they would sound great, but I think covers are not supposed to be done 1:1.

I have nothing to say about Agalloch, but Rapture is so close to BMD-style, I don't think they would give anything new to those songs. I'm sure they would sound great, but I think covers are not supposed to be done 1:1.

You've got a point there.
When I was younger btw. I always covered songs pretty much excatly 1:1
I think it's good if you want to prove yourself that you can do it. But it's not very exciting for other people, because it's mostly the same just a bit worse.

The other extreme is bands like Type 0 Negative who can cover a song and it always sound like and T0N song.

Nowadays I try to do justice to the original, but I also try to bring a lot of myself into the song.