kayo dot on allmusic.com

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
Washes of crunchy guitar and sophisticated modern chamber music combine in the world of Kayo Dot. After the progressive metal-oriented Maudlin of the Well disbanded in late 2002, some of the group's members were lost, and a change of direction was needed. Toby Driver (vocals, guitar, electronics), Greg Massi (guitar, vocals), Nicholas Kyte (bass, vocals), Sam Gutterman (drums, vocals), and Terran Olson (keyboards, flute, clarinet, saxophone) carried on and formed Kayo Dot in early 2003. While Maudlin of the Well lived in the metal arena, Kayo Dot approached music with a more modern classical attitude. Composition was strict and the band showed interest in playing concerts the way orchestras do, more formal and in more traditional venues. Guitars and vocals still drew from the world of rock and metal, but to stress this was a new band and direction, concerts contained no Maudlin of the Well material. John Zorn's avant-garde- and experimental-leaning label, Tzadik, issued the band's debut, Choirs of the Eye, in late 2003.

Do yourself a favor, and ignore the genres and similar artists on allmusic... Sometimes they just totally don't make sense...

It is a great song, but for me the one that reminds me the most of MOTW (which is not to say it could fit on one of the albums as it is an independent entity) would be The Antique because of the dramatic builds, the contrast between the minimal sounding intro and the crushing sections, and the switch to something that sounds like a different song entirely...all things that initially attracted me to MOTW.

Guys, it would be cool A Pitcher Of Summer video clip, don't you think?

exciar is using the avatar i refused to because i didn't want my face annoying everyone! clever bastard, hehe.

here:

alex.jpg

i just realised that i made the break in my hair on the wrong side when i drew my avatar--as if i was looking in a mirror! i guess that's how i picture myself, even if no one else does.