KeyClub IM PreShow w/TIMS on 2/18

The following is an expert from the diary I posted on the IMOC board.

February 18, 2008

The afternoon was spent having a few beers, talking to other fans, an organizing the items for the Clive Aid auction later that night at the Key Club. I contributed IMFC mags 12 and 26, a Killers belt buckle, ‘Give Me Ed… Til I’m Dead’ European pre-tour shirt, and an AMOLAD Hot Topic T-shirt. There were many other cool items that others contributed as well. I think it was around 7 PM when people started leaving to make journey up to Hollywood and the Key Club for the Iron Maidens show.

Jason, me, Khan, Dave, and John Hunter followed Kristy and her gang all the way there… thanks for leading the way Kristy! The doors opened at 8:30 and security said ‘No cameras”… pissed me off… especially when many people inside had them and they didn’t seem to care. This guy was told to jump in line right behind me… I looked… recognized him… right when a security guy asked for his name on guest list I said “Sam Dunn!”… shook his hand and said hello. Jason and I went straight to front of the stage and stood there until the 10 PM start time. We were on right side in front of Wanda and Heather. The infamous DTT and his wife showed up… many fans did… it was a really good turnout for the Maidens (remember they were the opening act for Metal Skool).

Wanda’s set list was taped to the stage right in front of where we were standing (and now it’s mine signed by the whole band), so I could see the set list before hand and was excited to see Alexander The Great on it! The Maidens came on at 10 PM and opened with Different World. The blast from a fire extinguisher at the start, and several more times during show, was the only complaint I have… it gets all over your clothes, skin, and isn’t safe to breath. The rest of the props were cool and the Eddies and Edwina they use are awesome… better than some the real Iron Maiden have used. The full set list was Different World, Die With Your Boots On, Killers, Wasted Years, The Trooper, Ides Of March/Wrathchild, Alexander The Great, Number Of The Beast, Children Of The Damned, Phantom Of The Opera, 22 Acacia Avenue, and Run To The Hills.

The sound wasn’t the best, upfront anyway, but I was impressed and thought the ladies did a great job. I’ve had their CDs since whenever they came out, but this was my first time seeing them live. The ladies are all very talented, energetic, and appreciative of their fans, and of Iron Maiden, not surprising for a tribute band, huh?

Linda laid down a solid beat (and also used only the second Powerslave ride cymbal out publicly yet); Wanda did a fantastic ‘shy’ version of Steve Harris; Sara reeled off some awesome Dave solos and seems to be the crazy one onstage; Aja can really belt it out, although the vocals were a little lost up front; and Heather, well, she was the more active one in front of me, so I paid more attention, and she was awesome in every way… her playing in Alexander The Great blew me away… she nailed the whole middle part and solos that Adrian himself claims he can’t remember how to play! Heather also decided toward the end to just jump into the crowd… that was a shocker… I helped hold her up with a few others, getting tangled in her lead or wireless cable, then gave a big final push towards the stage watching her head when it stared angling down again. Wow! This may sound weird, but it was one of the coolest rock and roll moments I’ve ever seen, it was just so unexpected! Heather would later write “Thank you 4 saving my life!” when she signed my 8x10. :lol:

Jason and I headed downstairs after the show to where the meet and greet was going to be and on the way I bumped into my friend Chris (maidenmemad) and chatted for a couple minutes. The room downstairs was packed with people by the time we got there, smelled like a gym locker room, and the ladies were already down their meeting fans. Sam Dunn was also there talking with people. I was desperately trying to find Kristy who had my CD and DVDs I wanted signed in her purse… in the meantime I bought a color 8x10 they were selling.

It took a long time because there were so many people and the ladies were doing shots between signings, but one by one I met them all and got everything (both CDs, set list, and 8x10) signed in the end. I also got photos with each of the ladies thank to Dion... huge thanks for that. I spent some time chatting with each of them and found them all to be very friendly, down to earth, and truly appreciative of their fans, much like the real Iron Maiden. I loved Heather’s hat too… OK... I admit it… I have a crush on Heather now. :oops: :)

2494313100090357005S500x500Q85.jpg

2180341200090357005S500x500Q85.jpg

2415069760090357005S500x500Q85.jpg

2418319400090357005S500x500Q85.jpg

2574755810090357005S500x500Q85.jpg

Thanks for a great evening, ladies, for being so cool, and taking the time to sign all my stuff and take photos.

February 19, 2008

I also saw Aja and Linda from the Iron Maidens again after the show by the merch booth and, sadly, Linda missed most of the show after losing her purse and ticket, hopefully she can make the Irvine shows. I heard Wanda was there too, but I didn’t talk to her, and I scanned the immediate area for Heather to no avail. :lol:

Aja - I was going to exchange your shirt for a small, but when I finally got to the front you were gone.

I can't wait to see you all again and wish I lived closer to west coast or that you play closer to me. :)

Yeah... what Tim said. Great show as always. I swear you all get better every time I see a Maidens show! Thanks for the great time and I'll see you all in Tacoma!!!!!!

DTT aka John in the background there. We went "on tour" around Scandinavia with Metallica with him and his wife last July. Awesome people! We talked about him going to see the Maidens show, I told him to say hello to the girls from me. I wonder if he remembered! :lol:

Awesome review and pics, thanks for sharing! Moving it to the other thread about the show tho. ;)

DTT aka John in the background there. We went "on tour" around Scandinavia with Metallica with him and his wife last July. Awesome people! We talked about him going to see the Maidens show, I told him to say hello to the girls from me. I wonder if he remembered! :lol:

Awesome review and pics, thanks for sharing! Moving it to the other thread about the show tho. ;)

I saw him at the show. He was, of course, standing in front of Dave Murray area on the floor. Although I don't know him, I've seen him at a MaidenS show in the past. He was also on Bruce Air Flight 666. I did approach him then to say hello and mention the MaidenS. I wonder if he ever has met Dave and if so what was Dave's reaction.

I saw him at the show. He was, of course, standing in front of Dave Murray area on the floor. Although I don't know him, I've seen him at a MaidenS show in the past. He was also on Bruce Air Flight 666. I did approach him then to say hello and mention the MaidenS. I wonder if he ever has met Dave and if so what was Dave's reaction.

I'm pretty sure that he has a few times. He said that Dave always gives him a smile when he sees him at the shows. I'd love to see a pic of them together! :lol:

Heather also decided toward the end to just jump into the crowd… that was a shocker…

Haha! I don't know if that was really a decision! LOLOL!!! It came off great in my opinion anyway!! Heather is always up to something like that!

I loved Heather’s hat too… OK... I admit it… I have a crush on Heather now. :oops: :)

Rightfully so, she's a cutie on the outside and a sweetie on the inside..and a monster on the guitar! :headbang:

2180341200090357005S500x500Q85.jpg

February 19, 2008

I also saw Aja and Linda from the Iron Maidens again after the show by the merch booth and, sadly, Linda missed most of the show after losing her purse and ticket, hopefully she can make the Irvine shows.

I actually had my ticket in my hand the entire time, but ya, the purse went missing early in the evening and most of the time was spent searching and eventually recovering it at the lost and found, thank God. Only cash was missing, the finder had a heart and left my credit cards, bank cards, Driver's License, gas card, etc. alone. Could have been so bad. *Thanks the Big Man here* A wonderful girl named Yelsamine helped me find it who happened to be a street team member! :worship: She is forever my guest at any of our upcoming shows. :saint: Now to decide which Maiden show I can make it to. I MUST see this show properly! I waited for this for so long and it was a complete nightmare. Oh well, ya live and learn I suppose.

Rightfully so, she's a cutie on the outside and a sweetie on the inside..and a monster on the guitar! :headbang:

I actually had my ticket in my hand the entire time, but ya, the purse went missing early in the evening and most of the time was spent searching and eventually recovering it at the lost and found, thank God. Only cash was missing, the finder had a heart and left my credit cards, bank cards, Driver's License, gas card, etc. alone. Could have been so bad. *Thanks the Big Man here* A wonderful girl named Yelsamine helped me find it who happened to be a street team member! :worship: She is forever my guest at any of our upcoming shows. :saint: Now to decide which Maiden show I can make it to. I MUST see this show properly! I waited for this for so long and it was a complete nightmare. Oh well, ya live and learn I suppose.

I don't think "cutie" covers it, she's beautiful, and, yes, she seems sweet and is a monster on guitar!

I'm happy to hear that you at least didn't lose all of your personal items and hope you can make the Irvine double dip.

Thanks for replying Linda and it was really nice to meet you! :)

Do Heather and the other Maidens post here?

That sucks Linda! Do you know if you dropped it or if someone managed to pickpocket you?

There's always London in July!! ;) *hint hint!*

Rod's pretty angry about the Key Club advertising the Maidens show as the 'official' pre-party.

Ooooh, he does a bit!! :(

Here is the diary extract for those who're not members.

Rod Smallwood said:
I was still feeling a bit knackered so headed for bed fairly soon after. Steve and Bruce went down the Hard Rock to see Lauren play and also the Iron Maidens in pre gig warm up shows, which they also did in LA. Of course the clubs (Key Club LA and Hard Rock, MC) go out of the way making it sound like they are our parties when they what they want is to get our fans in and take money off them. The Key Club even advertised it as the OFFICIAL warm up party implying, I think, that we would be there. Some nerve. The Maidens girls aren't party to this I am sure, it s a fun gig to them, but the clubs piss me off as they misrepresent us to our fans. And the Hard Rock was a disgrace. Various members of our team were there including some of our flight crew who told me when they paid cash for drinks the barman was pocketing the cash. So when they all left, thinking there was no bill, they were surrounded by bouncers demanding $600. Now it is quite possible that band or others on our side thought someone else had picked up part of the tab but not that amount. Anyway would you believe the club called the police!!! Talk about an overreaction. With Steve there too -- Bruce had already gone. You would think the p***k manager of the club would have let a bit go by considering he had packed his club off our back. This is I think part of the official Hard Rock franchises and you can bet when I get home I will be contacting the owners. This sort of behaviour is just not on. Generally in the past we have liked Hard Rocks all round the world but something like this does piss you off. Good job I wasn't there -- they would probably have locked me up!!
Missing all this adventure I slept well!!!!

This WAS a great show! Hey Tim!

The sound was a little muddled in the club....but I'm not sure if I've ever seen a more spirited set from the girls. They had such an energy, and were on fire. As usual, I had the most fun watching my favorite Maiden....Sarah! I simply love this woman. Her heart and soul go into every show.

Sadly, I didn't make it down to see them at the table after the show. My friend and I waited a few minutes and were surrounded by 8 million fans of the band that went on next. By the time we made our way back (next band was just ok), the place was so jam packed (way more than legally should have been allowed) that it took FOREVER to make our way back...and couldn't really get anywhere.

Ended up leaving and going to the Rainbow...hung out at teh bar next to friggin Lemmy! Surreal....and this reallllly drunk brunette came up to me and asked if I was security for Lemmy...LOL. Those who don't know me...I'm a big heavy dude (though a bit short...lol) with a shaven bald head. No wonder she thought that.

Anyway...another great show ladies...see you in April at Cane's.....and PLEASE come back to the Second Wind Bar in Santee!

Hi Chris. :)

I think this typo tops anything I did on the IMOC unless you're trying to tell us something. :lol:

Oh shit.... :lol:

*goes to fix*

You'll pay for that, Tim...I may not have any power over here...but... ;)

:lol:

Oh god! That's funny! Becareful what you post! :lol: :lol:

So did you talk to Lemmy?

Yeah, but just enough to say hello and shake his hand. He was playing video poker, and it was very obvious that he didn't want to be bothered much.