Kick sound on The Fathomless Mastery

iacntspell

New Metal Member
Mar 9, 2012
So the drum sounds on Bloodbath's The Fathomless Mastery are currently kicking my ass all over the place -- particularly the kick sound. Does anybody have any tips on (non-replacement; so tuning, mic placement, eq, compression, etc.) methods to try to emulate that sound?

Tune the drum as low as possible, heavily damped, wood or plastic beaters. If you're using a dynamic (602, 52, d6, etc) start with it pointed at the beater about 6" out and then move it around until you maximize the attack. If you have a beta91 you can use that to get your sharp attack and place the dynamic a little further away to get a more developed low end. Move them around until the phase is right. For fast stuff a lot of times running w/o a front head will speed up the low end decay (though you also lose some lows and drum tone) and it certainly makes placement easier. When you feel good about the tone sometimes it helps to drape some moving blankets over the front of the kick to avoid bleed since you'll likely be cranking some highs.

Don't be afraid to EQ aggressively. The tuning and placement are all about getting you the elements you need but this style depends on EQ pretty heavily. You should mostly be compressing for tone rather than dynamic control. If you need a lot of dynamic control you probably really need to augment with samples (though you can certainly use samples you make of that drum). Let the attack through with a med-fast attack and a release logical for the speed he's playing. Limit as necessary.

Beg the drummer to play consistently.

I'm 100% certain the kick has sample replacement or at least sample blending on it.

I never claimed it didn't. I'm simply not interested in solving my problem via sampling. I'd rather learn to get (close to) a killer kick tone the old-school way.

Tune the drum as low as possible, heavily damped, wood or plastic beaters. If you're using a dynamic (602, 52, d6, etc) start with it pointed at the beater about 6" out and then move it around until you maximize the attack. If you have a beta91 you can use that to get your sharp attack and place the dynamic a little further away to get a more developed low end. Move them around until the phase is right. For fast stuff a lot of times running w/o a front head will speed up the low end decay (though you also lose some lows and drum tone) and it certainly makes placement easier. When you feel good about the tone sometimes it helps to drape some moving blankets over the front of the kick to avoid bleed since you'll likely be cranking some highs.

Don't be afraid to EQ aggressively. The tuning and placement are all about getting you the elements you need but this style depends on EQ pretty heavily. You should mostly be compressing for tone rather than dynamic control. If you need a lot of dynamic control you probably really need to augment with samples (though you can certainly use samples you make of that drum). Let the attack through with a med-fast attack and a release logical for the speed he's playing. Limit as necessary.

Beg the drummer to play consistently.

Thanks for the tips! Any clear EQ frequencies you're hearing as fundamental to that sound? There's obviously a fair amount of beater.

I never claimed it didn't. I'm simply not interested in solving my problem via sampling. I'd rather learn to get (close to) a killer kick tone the old-school way.
And that's a great goal. Don't let Ahj's smugness Tourette's discourage you.
i'm on my laptop right now but if I had to guess I'd put it around 4k. Honestly though, just sweep the EQ around until it does what you want it to.

I think it could help (at least for the tuning - that is VERY important)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjDXbwvKR-4&feature=related[/ame]