Krank Amplification

The Rhone

Nov 8, 2006
Bromley, Kent
Does anyone have one of these? Krank Rev Jnr

They're bloody loud for 20 watts, can't really get in quite enough not to piss off he neighbours, does anyone one find it could do with a bit more gain?
:OMG:

I play mine at low volume for the same reason (neighbors) and what i do is engage the effects loop and the gain boost and it has enough gain, actually more than enough hehe.

i'd have to agree that this amp has dickloads of gain...i couldn't see anyone possibly needing more saturation than what's already there

How does the volume it's at affect the amount of gain/saturation? That's never been my experience with tube amps...

i usually find that if i'm playing quietly, i need to turn up the gain higher...i think it's a case of getting more saturation out of the preamp to make up for what you're not getting from the power amp

What's there to not get Jeff? As far as I know, the channel's gain knob and volume knob are independent of one another, to say nothing of the master volume, and electronics aside, that's just always been my experience (I just did it with my JSX and Stiletto 4x12 to be sure, but it was like checking to make sure I can still stand up :Smug: ).

Eh, not really with modern hi-gain tube amps - sure, it helps, and that's of course why it's better to crank 'em, but the majority of the tone comes from the preamp (Aaron Smith posted a clip awhile ago where he recorded a 5150 with the volume at like 1, and it still sounded great), cuz actual perceivable power tube distortion (beyond just added harmonics/warmth) is often too saggy from what I've heard.

With small amps like that I doubt you're getting away without power amp distortion... also depending on volume there could be serious speaker wigglage going on...

Jeff

Eh, not really with modern hi-gain tube amps - sure, it helps, and that's of course why it's better to crank 'em, but the majority of the tone comes from the preamp (Aaron Smith posted a clip awhile ago where he recorded a 5150 with the volume at like 1, and it still sounded great), cuz actual perceivable power tube distortion (beyond just added harmonics/warmth) is often too saggy from what I've heard.

Even modern hi gain amps have tube break up, namely el's/kt's.

Even 800's can sound huge/modern/whatever that still needed to be cranked to get tube break up.

I still don't get why people seem to think hi-gain tones with power tube distortion is a bad thing ._.
Power tube distortion sounds so much more articulate and punchy and twangy all while maintaining the saturation you'd get form turning the gain dial up.
:[
Maybe I'm just a fag? :rofl:

Yeah man, with a lower wattage tube amp you get more saturation than you'd think from the power section.

There is no way the Rev Jr. is lacking in the gain department man...

~006