Largest excavation ever @ Gamla Uppsala

Freki

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2012
For those interested in archeology and the viking age I just want you to know that the largest excavation ever of Gamla Uppsala is taking place now (and has been going on for a while).

http://www.arkeologigamlauppsala.se/Sv/Pages/default.aspx

I guess most of you know it already but Gamla Uppsala and its temple was probably the greatest place of worship of the old gods in all of Scandinavia. It went on long after most of Scandinavia had been christened and they built a church on top of the temple to get rid of the pagan worship once and for all.

So maybe Amon Amarth could play at Kungshögarna some day?

The Royal mounds (Swedish: Kungshögarna) is the name for the three large barrows which are located in Gamla Uppsala. According to ancient mythology and folklore, it would be the three gods Thor, Odin and Freyr lying in Kungshögarna or Uppsala högar (from the Old Norse word Haugr meaning mound or barrow).

:devil:

Nice job. "En urna"... so that means "a sword"?

en urna = an urn

urn, amphora, some sort of I'd say mainly ceramic vessel, mainly used for storage of goods as for protection of oxygen or humidity, e.g. mead or grains
I'm not an expert, guessing as to what it is used for, but it is "urn" anyhow

sword in Swedish = svärd

a sword = ett svärd

en urna = an urn

urn, amphora, some sort of I'd say mainly ceramic vessel, mainly used for storage of goods as for protection of oxygen or humidity, e.g. mead or grains
I'm not an expert, guessing as to what it is used for, but it is "urn" anyhow

sword in Swedish = svärd

a sword = ett svärd

Thanks for explanation. Actually I thought something like that, because en urna, that ceramic vessel, in German means eine Urne (for putting ash in it) and svärd means Schwert by the way. Quite similar. So actually I thought that perhaps I could read and understand the article :D, but no.... and so I was a little confused about the word urna.

Is it actually allowed in Sweden to take the urns filled with the ashes of family members or friends at home?
As far as I know here it's only allowed to bring pet urns there. Just wondering.

Is it actually allowed in Sweden to take the urns filled with the ashes of family members or friends at home?
As far as I know here it's only allowed to bring pet urns there. Just wondering.

Not sure.
I know you may be allowed to spread the ashes in oceans etc, if asking permission firstand being allowed to.

As for keeping at home, don't know anyone that has ever done so.

Right from the 600 century AD onwards, there has been an urban community in Old Uppsala, with great social diversity. There was a throng of men, women and children, thronged with textile artisans, blacksmiths, merchants, aristocrats, peasants and serfs.
One hundred and ninety houses and graves have been examined and thousands of finds from near and far have been found. Beakers, gold rings and rune tinplates forms contrast with leftovers, pottery and rusty knives. Even traces of ancient cults, for example amulet rings and Thor's hammers have been found - but also some Christians objects were hidden in the soil.

I just pasted that into google translate, wow I'm actually impressed. Google translate has come a long way! Only real error I found was "Thursday hammers" (and some small grammatic errors) :D.

http://www.arkeologigamlauppsala.se/Sv/nyheter/2012/Pages/ny-bild-av-gamla-uppsala.aspx

On a slightly related note:

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=94&artikel=5411818

2 amazing shipgravefinds with 40 scandinavian warriors from the 8th century, probably from mälardalen or gotland found on the estonian island of ösel. They were probably there to take tribute from the locals and were killed. One of the ships could have had a sail, which would mean that they used sails at least 100 years earlier than the current estimate.