latest work, new-school HC NO BREAKDOWN (real drums, real amps, real people)

gabriel g.

Sep 7, 2006
Hamburg
www.myspace.com
New version:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1425397/count on pride - back home.mp3

finished it like 5min ago.

Kick is triggered, snare is 50% the real snare and 50% a combination of slate and lasse samples.
Toms are 100% real.
Alot of the drumsound comes from the stereo-room-mics.

Guitars are quad-tracked (ibanez "7" signature with emg81) ts7 modded 808, 6505 green channel, mesa os box

Bass was an Fender Squier 5-string through podfarm.

feel free to ask questions or give feedback

Really like it man! Band is cool too, reminds me of It Prevails or Ghost Inside. Quick question, what are you doing to your bass in pod farm? Im working with a similar (kinda) band at the moment and I'm using the bass patch Dandelium gave out, but tweaked. Any tips?

my first impression was that the master is pumping too hard to judge the mix properly.
it seems the low end is not as focused as it could be leading to a washy image.
i liked marcos voice (the singer) ;-) hes learned a lot about layering his vocals working with me it seems , hehe.
id work on the mastering to give the whole thing more focus and punch, try avoiding the pumping, will help the whole thing i guess.

Yeah the pumping will be changed.
I have like 2-3 things on my list that I have to change, though

Marco did an amazing job. I pushed him realy hard so he layered the vocals perfectly.

FGX is killing me in the last 2 sessions.
It somehow sucks all the lowend power away. Make everything shimmer where I DONT WANT shimmer (like cymbals. My cymbals are bright as hell because of the beyerdynamic and audient combi) so I dont need high-end in the mastering.

Sometimes I have the feeling that fgx is optomized to work with SSD.

I think I need the ozone license because demo ran out :(

The guitars are really muddying stuff up. Them and the room mics. There's a LOT of 200hz.

And I agree about FG-X. It's not true to the mix. In almost every blind shootout I did just plain GClip won out.

listened with fresh ears.

fgx is destroying my mixes. I am sad about it but i wont use it for mastering anymore. Maybe if they bring out the update.

it realy destroys the lowend, changes the guitars in a strange way and make the highend super shimmery.

I wil make the three small changes but most of your points are fgx fault :(

esp. the guitar thing. fgx made the wall of guitars to the muddy mix changer.

and the lowend thing is killing me.

thanks for the input

multi-band on the guitar bus to contain that low-end cab flubber, a-la the sneap C4 settings. i was struggling with a mix recently and did just that, totally saved the entire mix without altering the guitar tone much at all.

I think cymbals are just a little too loud and I agree about the guitars being a little muddy. try a low pass and just sweep it until you find the right spot to put it. overall I really like it other than the pumping issue. the song kind of reminds me of from autumn to ashes.

I don't seem to have that problem with FG-X at all. Really like it.

Bring the OH's down, I like them loud but they are just too loud.

How do you record the sidestick clicks in the beginning? Placing them on a sperate channel?

That Sterlin comment is just promotion. Pros always did great master and will continue with it there is no need for any Ozone, FGX or what ever else for mastering.

I realy want to like FGX but its not working for me.

I will post the finished version later today. Mastered with metric-halo softsaturation and Ozone4.

Then I will make another thread, with a snipped.
Mixed, mastered with Ozone and mastered with Slate.

Then you will see and hear what I mean.

I love your stuff man, I also love the bands you work with, a lot of just straight hardcore bands which are rare in this forum! A lot of low mids in your guitars though, I'd clear that up. I think the vocals could also definitely use some saturation.

Here is the thread about mastering tools.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...otout-fgx-vs-ozone-vs-hybrid.html#post9529990

it was just a quick session so the mastering isnt anywhere near finished

I love your stuff man, I also love the bands you work with, a lot of just straight hardcore bands which are rare in this forum! A lot of low mids in your guitars though, I'd clear that up. I think the vocals could also definitely use some saturation.

thank you very much

I don't seem to have that problem with FG-X at all. Really like it.

Bring the OH's down, I like them loud but they are just too loud.

How do you record the sidestick clicks in the beginning? Placing them on a sperate channel?

the sidesticks are tracked mostly by the room mics and the oh. No close micing or anything.
and of course the snare mic (he was hitting the rim)