Learning German, and then.... Swedish!

Alec Walter Conway

Mother North's Lover
Jun 14, 2006
VINLAND (Montreal)
Heya

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'll be working on learning german in the next few months. Probably with on of those language kits, and a lot of reading. I'd listen to nargaroth too but I bet 90% of the german population can't make out what he says anyway, so much for listening to someone speaking :loco:

Then I'll use what I know from english and german, and I'll head to swedish. Should be mighty fun :D

I already speak french (my native language), english (I'm pretty much biligual with english) and a wee bit of spanish (4 years of spanish courses at school). I'm gonna be a total language machine. :headbang:

If anyone has propositions as to another road to follow to swedish, or maybe just point out a few things for german or swedish, I'm all for it!

I'm a native speaker of German so you can ask me if you have any questions.
I am quite alot into historical linguistics so I too am literate with grammar and stuff.

It'd be easier to learn Swedish first due to the grammatical similarites to English, and it'll also help you get an idea of German words at the same time too, but good luck! :)

i find german very similar to english in its vocabulary, but grammar is much tougher. is swedish tougher than german grammar-wise?

No it's alot more similar, especially in sentence structure :)

And yeah you're right about the vocabulary, Swedish is also very similar to English in that department :) Thus German and Swedish have alot of similarities too..

Well english, german and swedish are all germanic languages, form the same roots.

And I find german grammar to be somewhat similar to french grammar. Since french is my native language, I'm guessing I'll be able to build on this.

I've studied some basics of swedish a few months ago, I found the pronounciation somewhat hard to catch. I realised that german was somehow between english and swedish pronounciation wise.

And anyway, I'm planning on learning many languages during my life, so which one comes first isnt really important lol.

Right now i have in mind to learn german, swedish, norwegian, dutch, finnish, most probably russian, and maybe an asian language, maybe cantonese-chinese, or japanese, or both, whatever lol.

I figured, I'm 21, average age I can hope to reach is 80-90. That's 60-70 years to learn a whole bunch of languages. With english, I got to the point where I am now in roughly 6-7 years, so 60-70 years, that about 10 other languages lol. :kickass:

Hehe, well you're going to need alot of time to learn Finnish, it'll probably be too hard to learn comprehensively unless you actually live there for a while, same as Hungarian and Estonian, but you're not interested in those as of yet heh :)

Learning German and Swedish will make Norwegian and Danish a sinch for you, aswell as making Dutch a hell of a lot easier.

By the way; Skörbjuggsjuka sjömän stjäl skepparens skjortor ;)

Swedish is almost easier to learn than English grammar-wise. They do not have to conjugate and stuff. the syntax is kind of a mix between german and english.

French may have alot more tempi than German, I know them from Spanish, but I think that they do not have cases with specific endings and articles like in German. You just say le baraque and it does not depend on whether it is nominative, genitive, dative or accusative while in German you have to decide if it is das Haus, des Hauses, das Haus (dative) or dem Haus.
If I was learning German I would surely consider this the toughest thing to learn.

Great guys, I appreciate the comments. Seeing what you told me about german vs swedish, I might actually only learn some basics in german and work out the rest by reading stuff and listening to movies or interviews in german. I don't wanna become a master of he german language, i just wanna be able to speak, write, listen and read a little bit, so I'm not stuck acting like a moronic mime when I try to say something :loco:

As for swedish and norwegian, they're my two main goals right now, I intended german to be a bridge from english to swedish, but it seems I might have been wrong on that point. Guess I'll be switching over to swedish faster than I thought at first.

And for finnish, I just think it's sort of a cool language. I mean, in what other language can you see mammoth words like " Hyväntekeväisyyskonsertti" (whatever that means lol) or other 2 mile long words :lol:

Edit : One thing I've been wondering for some time, about svenska and norsk, how do you pronounce the R's. I've heard both the german way, with the throat, and the russian/spanish way, with the tongue. Does it depend on the region?

Alec Walter Conway said:
And for finnish, I just think it's sort of a cool language. I mean, in what other language can you see mammoth words like " Hyväntekeväisyyskonsertti"
What about "Donaudampfschifffahrtskapitän"? :D

Edit : One thing I've been wondering for some time, about svenska and norsk, how do you pronounce the R's. I've heard both the german way, with the throat, and the russian/spanish way, with the tongue. Does it depend on the region?

It's regional. You use the tounge-r allover Sweden except for the region of Skåne, they pronounce it the way the Danes, French or German do.

But depends on the region in Germany aswell. In the South, meaning Baden-Württemberg, Bavaria, Switzerland and Austria, and in some Dialects or at least accents in the far north it is pronounced the Spanish, Russian whatever way.

Thidrek said:
What about "Donaudampfschifffahrtskapitän"? :D
Hah, pitiful!

In Swedish, the longest word is NORDÖSTERSJÖKUSTARTILLERIFLYGSPANINGSSIMULATOR-
ANLÄGGNINGSMATERIELUNDERHÅLLSUPPFÖLJNINGSSYSTEMDISKUSSIONSINLÄGGSFÖRBEREDELSEARBETEN
(130 letters), "preparatory work on the contribution to the discussion on the maintaining system of support of the material of the aviation survey simulator device within the north-east part of the coast artillery of the Baltic," according to 1996 Guinness.

amf said:
Hah, pitiful!
In Swedish, the longest word is NORDÖSTERSJÖKUSTARTILLERIFLYGSPANINGSSIMULATOR-
ANLÄGGNINGSMATERIELUNDERHÅLLSUPPFÖLJNINGSSYSTEMDIS KUSSIONSINLÄGGSFÖRBEREDELSEARBETEN (130 letters), "preparatory work on the contribution to the discussion on the maintaining system of support of the material of the aviation survey simulator device within the north-east part of the coast artillery of the Baltic," according to 1996 Guinness.

OMFG LOL:OMG:

Yea, German has aload of rules, but I find it a sinch in comparison to French, which has rules but often enough disregards them.
I made a huge word in German the other day, compunded of 2 compund nouns (so 4 words in all) and it was even right.:)

I want to learn some Norwegian, so far all I know is some very basic grammar and some words like "dark", "forest", "kingdom", blame it on metal (and folk).