Like System of a Down - but better!

Base Delta Zero

Senior Meatbag
Feb 12, 2006
My 5 year old nephew likes System of a Down and I promised that I'd make him a mix CD of stuff that's like SoaD, but better than SoaD. I'm looking for specific songs from bands that are bouncy, fun and forceful enough to get the attention of a child like marching music or circus-type songs.

So far, the bands I've considered are: Arcturus, Dead Kennedys, Mr. Bungle (or Faith No More/Fantomas/etc.), and Clutch. Anything kind of like these bands?

Ehhh Disturbed has a moment here and there. If Down with the Sickness wasnt played to death... and Inside the Fire is okay.... for the most part though, you're right.

I never got why people say nu metal is rap inspired/influenced....
I just... dont hear it... unless we're talking about Korn.. then it's obvious.

I've had to sit through alot of nu metal too... considering my gf listens to alot of it. (but it could be worse right? she could listen to pop or country most of the time... and she likes Testament, Electric Wizard, and Amon Amarth along with a few others... so hope isnt lost. ;) )

You're gf is awesome.

I can see some rap evidence in Disturbed's Believe.

And BDZ, will your nephew listen to power metal?

Disturbed really doesn't have rap influences. I like a lot of Disturbed material. It's nothing amazing, but it is a catchy and fun listen on occasion.

Ehhh Disturbed has a moment here and there. If Down with the Sickness wasnt played to death... and Inside the Fire is okay.... for the most part though, you're right.

If 'Down With the Sickness' was never played ever along with the rest of their catalogue they'd be a better band. Wait...

Seriously, they're in AT LEAST my top ten for worst bands ever. Terrible music on all levels.

With shit like Bring me the Horizon and iwrestledabearonce existing... I somehow doubt how they are in the top 10 worst... but... then again, they're popular... and nu metal... people here are "supposed to" hate it... so whatever.

Schwärzung;8381921 said:
You're gf is awesome.

I can see some rap evidence in Disturbed's Believe.

And BDZ, will your nephew listen to power metal?
I'm sure he'll listen to anything as long as it's fun, bouncy, etc. The Misfits were a good rec. and Ghengis Tron might actually work too. Meshuggah might work too - I'd have to give their discog another listen.

My whole point is to get my nephew listening to 'good' metal (or punk) - his dad (my brother-in-law) already listens to nu-metal like Korn, Mudvayne, Nothingface, etc and, honestly, I'm just trying to plant seeds so he doesn't end up as musically narrow-minded as his dad.

Anything like Arcturus would be perfect.

With shit like Bring me the Horizon and iwrestledabearonce existing... I somehow doubt how they are in the top 10 worst... but... then again, they're popular... and nu metal... people here are "supposed to" hate it... so whatever.

Go on the forum search and type in "because they're popular". I'd like to see how many results you get. When are musically ignorant people going to stop making that irrelevant argument? Do you ever think someone actually might not like a certain band because of the music itself?

And yes, I'd honestly rather listen to Bring Me The Horizon. Disturbed has some of the most annoying music and vocals I've had the displeasure of hearing.

oh dear god, BMTH is even worse than Disturbed. I'd rather listen to karaoke renditions of Down With The Sickness done by William Hung than listen to that shitty excuse for a band.