Live at the Fillmore VS. Live in London

Apr 3, 2005
IL
Well, Chuck sounds great on the Fillmore, but the sound production of Live in London rocks. Plus they play The Legacy live on LIL, so I'm going with the new one.

Opinion?

MetalT

Just got the dvd and cd

is it just my terrible tv or the solos on cd are louder?

anyway Alex is the man we know it! good word for what he does is "effortless"

what killed me after first round is Jasiek's Tempesta drumming - especially on Sins uuuuffffffff - AMAZING drummer - LC is not bad too after 13 years of break

and watch out for Eric's leads here and there (Sins. Practice) i think he could go for more especially after i saw him on 2004 tour covering a lot of them and he was gooooood

Chuck - will murder you with his voice. period.

Greggy - well he is not SDG but one of my fav metal bass players too.

and Fillmore ...?

well each gig is different i like them both and can't say which is better

i'd be interested to hear the CD because a couple of times on the DVD i thought alex's solos were quite lost in the mix. a solo shouldn't be buried under loud/overpowering rhythm guitar.

i also like live in london a lot,
but the playing on filmore is way ahead, in my opinion,

before i heard live in london i thought, perhaps louie would
suck and the rest will play fine,
but when i heard the cd i was realy into louies playing on
the second half of the set, because it realy gives me that
feeling from the first records

and in my opinion and to my own surprise, i really don't like the guitarwork on live in london, they are sometimes out of time, and the playing is just average, alex' solo parts are sometimes very noisy, and he even hits a wrong note here and there (see electric crown solo f. ex.)

when i watch the dvd it all fits together, when you see them play it all makes sense, and the "mistakes" just become part of the performance and sometimes even make me smile and make the whole show more real then a show without any mistakes or improvised parts

but withouth the video and just the music i prefer live at the filmore

i just don't get why they recorded an early show of the tour, and didn't wait
till their playing was really tight and over the top and then recorded one of the shows with louie playing the whole set.
and why not record 20 instead of 14 songs so they didn't have to leave out classics like COTLOD or apocalyptic city.

and the thing i realy hate is when they put out a cd and dvd of the same show, why not make a dvd and give the cd as bonus with it, like the last kreator dvd

i realy like live in london but my expectations were so high so i'm little bit disapointed

everything from testament up to the gathering is realy great every record and video and whatever, but since first strike still deadly they seem to put stuff out just cause they don't want to make another regular record and often stuff comes out a little bit half assed

that should be enough to start some kind of discussion ;) and don't take everything to serious i just don't get it that everyboy is riding testaments nuts for a live record that is mediocre compared to everything they put out before and compared to every single live show i witnessed

sometimes there is a lot of noise from ringing strings which make some parts sound unarticulated, and some licks aren't played that well overall, for example the over the wall solo from 3:03 to the end, sometimes you can barely hear what he's playing, maybe because the lead guitar volume is to low or maybe he's playing shit, whatever

i always loved alex playing on the records and on the live at eindhoven cd, or on the live songs from seen between the lines, i always loved his articulation and definition and his overall sound, on the early records you can realy hear every note, and that's just missing sometimes (not everytime) on live in london

i don't want to be picky and go "oh alex is playing a wrong note here and chuck is out of key there and eric is playing blablalbabla" that would be bullshit. it's a live recording and it sounds like this, live. but it's not just about the playing.

i just wish they had taken more time to prepare this, instead of recording the 3rd show of their first tour together since 1992, and the fact that john is playing half of the set and louie is playing the other half, i just think thats disrespectful to louie and john. why didn't they just rehearse till louie has enough stamina to play the whole set, his playing rocks and adds a lot to that testament vibe. And eric should get rid of his black metal screams, they suck big time at least in a testament song.

it's all these small things that make live in london at least in my opinion a little bit half assed.
it just proves to me that you can't take some guys who haven't played together for 13 years and make a masterpiece recording, i am sure the whole tour was really great for the audience as for the band, but to make an extraordinary live recording needs more than just that

i totally disagree with it being disrespectful to john and louie that they played half a set each.
i was interested to read your opinion about live in london even though i don't agree with what you are saying.

but i agree that they should have included the CD when you buy the DVD, or the other way around.

the only thing half assed is the crappy, piss poor editing of the DVD.

cheers.

Tormunkelus said:
why didn't they just rehearse till louie has enough stamina to play the whole set, his playing rocks and adds a lot to that testament vibe.

because the whole reunion came about cause the Dynamo fest orgianisers asked chuck if he could get the original testament line-up cause chuck wanted to play it this year. hence the short time to perpare.

Tormunkelus said:
i just wish they had taken more time to prepare this, instead of recording the 3rd show of their first tour together since 1992,

this reunion tour was only to be for 10 dates.... the success of this tour is what has made to carry on for longer. they obviously thought that London was the best venue, and would have one of the bets crowds for the tour. hence making a good DVD.

i know it probably didn't come across that well but the KOKO venue is beautiful. like an old theatre with balconies and a high ceiling. it really added to the special vibe. i'm so glad it was there and not any other venue in london.

plus at a guess, they chose to film london because of the venue for filming reasons. i know that upstairs by the mixing desk there was quite a lot of cables and tv monitors and cameras. if they'd gone for another venue there may not have even been space for all that camera equipment and camera crew...?

picked up the DVD last night; it is Awesome. I planned on making the opening night of the tour at JAXX but could not; nor did I get to see them at the festival in P.A. So this is my treat for now. Hopefully as hinted on the disc; a new recording will come along with another tour!

Where can i buy the Live In London DVD,HMV and Virgin in Leeds don't have it,any suggestions?

Got the DVD from Play.com on Monday.Fantastic,love it.Whoa Chuck Billy is a big f*@ker these days.Damn not enough songs on it(would love to have heard First Strike Is Deadly,The Ballad and Return To Serenity)but i guess it's a sign of a good band,always leave them wanting more.