London Scene

Hmm. I can only help with the Goth clubs I think.. Kerrang have a club every wednesday, but I think you can only get in if you wear trousers large enough for three people..

Full Tilt at the Electric Ballroom in Camden on Friday nights has a metal room upstairs and is usually pretty busy.

If I were you I'd save my money and get to XL's in Birmingham or Rock City in Nottingham. I'm always going up that way so you'd be more than welcome to cadge a lift.

Lee

Thanks Lee :)

Rock City has always been of interest (probably since I always saw it mentioned in Kerrang etc, and met the bloke who runs it at EMI a couple years ago), so I'll most likely get a lift with you sometime :) Cheers!

I tend to just wait until there's a gig on that I want to see, don't really bother with club nights. At least plenty of bands play London ussual venues are the LA2, Camden Underworld and the Borderline.

There's bugger all in Ealing though :(

Spoilt, London metal heads are just spoilt. There must be a decent gig to go to every night and it must have tons of metal venues. Try living in the midlands, decent band playing, oh thats me off to Bradford then and when I do see a band in London, everyones so cool. "Awright mate where you from?" what!! your supposed to be aloof yet your cockney twang implies friendship and comradeship. I really want to hate London with its " only uk show" bah, but its a great night out (after the £25 parking) and the people are friendly strange in this day and age.

Oh hello, i'm new here by the way, English metal rules, er, YEAH!!:D :D

Typical embittered midlands metal fan eh? Ever lived in London? No, thought not because you have a rosy picture of the scene here. (BTW I'm from Manchester, originally).

There are a small number of pubs/clubs catering for metal/goth/nu-metal types in the greater London area - thats 8Million people remember. You'd be hard pressed to find a different venue for each night of the week and then you'd be travelling back and forth acrosss the metropolis to reach 'em.

Yeah, there are gigs of most types on, most nights of the week, but there is a huge amount of shite and cover-band crap. There are a couple of small, dingy London clubs that play some 'metal' (and I use the term loosely) at the weekend and that's it. Most 'metal' fans who turn out for the likes of Maiden, but who never bother to watch smaller acts, would rather be at home with a 6-pack in front of the TV/Video/DVD.

The majority of events which feature in the likes of Kerrang!, Metal Hammer etc, take place with an audience of a few hundred kids and a bunch of old liggers. Hardly a picture of a healthy, vibrant scene, is it?

As for fans at metal gigs in London being friendly, the real reason is that most of them are not from London anyway. EG Iced Earth - 700 sell-out gig, but there were loads of Greek students (the guys making all the noise), people from Scotland, Manchester, the Midlands, the South etc. The guys I meet up with at gigs are from New Zealand, the States, Belgium etc and even the guys from 'London' probably live out in Essex, Surrey or Berkshire.

You have a bunch of venues in the Midland area and according to what I'm told by bands, the main nights of the week/weekend are reserved for cover bands. Acts playing their own music might be lucky to get a slot on a Sunday/monday night. No wonder acts don't bother going there. Only the Rock City in Nottingham and Rios in Bradford seem willing/able to drag the big/not-so-big names out into the provinces.

However, if folks were willing to forgo the odd night in front of the TV with a take-away and actually got their arses out to gigs/clubs, then promoters would be willing to book the bands.

For example a 6-700 capacity venue costs best part of £1500 to hire before the lights, tickets, publicity etc. If you then only get 2-300 people paying a tenner, then you are going to lose money aren't you?

It's shit isn't it!

There's enough metallers around, but there's so many who don't bother to get out and support the scene!!

Gotta agree with ya.

Are you responsible for that site? If so I may be able to help with your venue list. I have a list of 600 with addresses, phone numbers and websites in an excel spreadsheet.

The site http://www.ents24.com/ is also extreemly comprehensive for those sorts of details.

Charlie

It's not my site. It's Koil who does all that business. He manages Sermon of Hypocrisy or something. A general all round metal underground type fellow.

I post there as 'desolate stu' so I'll let Koil know of the site!

He'd be pleased to get the list of venues too. Actually so would I, if you get a mo could you email it to me at desolation666uk@yahoo.co.uk We're looking for places to gig to promote our new CD and that sould come in very handy. :D

Nice one

Wow theres people from the Ealing area here *stunned & shocked* i live in southall. but im nearly always in the Ealing area just looking for somthing to do but anyway enough of that.

chazzyf: I think the pub you mean is called the 'riflemans arms' in hounslow they tend to have alot of rock orientated nights (not so sure about the quality of the equipment though).

oooh im a poster virgin, please go easy.

yeah apart from the nicely painted boards they've put up the place looks exactly the same as it did a week after the bombing, all kinda poo really...

hey mark... crazy nights is defo a great night, so zed tells me non stop.

electric ball room is good too.

The devonshire arms in camden is great. mainly goth which is great for me... but sat night is just a good selection of rock music... maiden played there yayayayay...
however even if u dont like the music so much,,, the atmosphere itself is great... and its just total metal...

also i seem to recall the fact that theres a great gig on at the camden underworld may 16th, which i believe, is when ur over and ur going to anyway lolol

but yeah the best venues are the underworld. and both astorias.... u can usually depend a good gig to be happeneing at them on at least one night