Looking for an "all around" 2ch compressor

acappa

Alex Cappa TMF Studios
Hello, just searching in the last thomann catalog, and trying to choose my next compressor. I want it to:
- Vocals on the way in
- Snare and BD, or maybe OH
- Stereo bus compressor when mixing
- Stereo bus compressor when mastering

I´m taking into consideration the following:
- Distressor Stereo
- UA 2-1176
- SSL X-logic stereo compressor

I live in Spain, so it´s hard to get some USA gear, because of the voltage.
My budget is max 2800€

Thanksss!!

A Designs Nail - I've been talking to a couple people who have it (see the thread on Gearslutz) and it's reportedly amazing for both tracking and buss compression duties (which is pretty rare for a compressor).

A Designs Nail - I've been talking to a couple people who have it (see the thread on Gearslutz) and it's reportedly amazing for both tracking and buss compression duties (which is pretty rare for a compressor).

I've been GASsing for a Nail. I love my Hammer and from the sounds of it the Nail is just as great. I'd probably have to part with my Crane Song Trakker in order to pick it up though :mad:... decisions, decisions...

con ese dinero yo compraria 2 1176 usados. el sonido clasico de los pros

o 2 distressors el sonido moderno

no te recomendaria mucho el SSL, mejor seria el Smart Compressor pero no serviria para lo que lo necesitas mas que para mix buss, mastering y a lo mejor snare.

Thanks guys! As I said, it´s hard to me get those items out of Europe, even if the currency makes the item cheaper, but I have to pay expendive shipping + duties...so it´s not so easy. The only option I find to buy one of these is blackmailing a friend of mine that´s is flying tomorrow to the states, boston.
Anyway, I´m searching for modern sound, I only record/mix metal so....
Is the stereo distressor a good choice???
Thanks for your contribution.:kickass:

I use 2 Distressors (stereo linked) for a lot of things. It just sounds great and the switchable detection filter makes it very allround.

I use it on:
drum room mics on the way in
bass guitar on the way in
vocals on the way in
accoustic guitars on the way in
percussion on the way in

paralel comp on drums in the mix (sometimes)
mastering (sometimes)

Yes it IS a no brainer. I've got 2 Overstayers on the way with the release mods.

Check the 3rd or 2nd last page of that thread. Rhythmind posted some clips where it totally ANNIHILATED the drum bus and moog. It thickens/fattens transients like the best SSL style compression I ever heard.

1176s are very limited. I wouldn't really use them on anything other than vox, bass and crushing room mics. They are just too fast to be useful for anything else, and not transparent enough to be used in a limiting scenario for metal drums. Definitely wouldn't touch the stereo bus with them (plus they are mono).

I'll do a drum bus shoot out with the Overstayers as soon as I get it all set up.

Cheers.

Yes it IS a no brainer. I've got 2 Overstayers on the way with the release mods.

Check the 3rd or 2nd last page of that thread. Rhythmind posted some clips where it totally ANNIHILATED the drum bus and moog. It thickens/fattens transients like the best SSL style compression I ever heard.

I'll do a drum bus shoot out with the Overstayers as soon as I get it all set up.

Yes, I listened to those clips, sounds very interesting. I really liked what it was doing to the drums, definitely seems like a great drum buss comp.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts after some experimenting, please report back on this.

I have to agree, it seems to be a no-brainer comp, especially for the price.