Looking for epic songs

Godhead59

Dim Sam
Jun 6, 2006
Harlequin Forest
Hello everybody!

I guess this might be a bit of an odd request, but I'm looking for bands that create super-epic progressive heavy songs, much like Opeth's Heir Apparent, Therion's Adulruna Rediviva, Swallow the Sun's The Empty Skies, The Fall of Every Season's Her Withering Petals & Nevermore's This Godless Endeavor. There is something about those songs that creates huge chills in me, and I love that chill.

I'm looking for new progressive bands that create this sort of heavy epics. Any recommendation (except for Dream Theater - tried them, can't stand them) will be welcome! Death metal vocals optional!

Thanks!

Not sure about your definition of epic, but here's a couple I like:

Edge of Sanity - Crimson and Crimson II (obviously)

Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Symphony X - The Odyssey

You could also check Wintersun for the sake of the amazing songs like Beautiful Death and Sadness and Hate..

Definitely not very progressive, but Iced Earth has a few songs I would definitely consider epic. I'm generally not the hugest fan of them, but these I absolutely love.

Phantom of the Opera Ghost
The Coming Curse
Dante's Inferno

Oh, and Ayreon's Isis & Osiris (definitely progressive here)

Liquid Tension Experiment - When the water breaks
Pain Of Salvation - King of Loss
Riverside - Dance with the Shadow
Symphony X - Revelation (Divus Pennae ex Tragoedia)

Also check some of To-Mera's stuff, specially from their album Delusions to see if you like it.

Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness
Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element (the song)
Moonsorrow – Jäästä syntynyt / Varjojen virta
Wolves in the Throne Room - Queen of the Borrowed Light

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Within-Temptation-Metropole-Orchestra-Symphony/dp/B001E18C68]Click here[/ame], seriously. Best epic (Outside of Epica, the band) shit I ever listened to

Not familiar with Carnation, but Light of Day, Day of Darkness, is an awesome song title.

Too bad you said no DT, because you should really try "A change of seasons" which IMO is far better than any other long songs they have made.

Other than that:

Symphony X - The odyssey
Pain of Salvation - Iter impius --->second half is as epic as epic gets. Daniel really shines then.
Enchant - Nighttime sky
bla bla bla

This is a great list! I was just going to respond with 3 of the 4 myself.

Not familiar with Carnation, but Light of Day, Day of Darkness, is an awesome song title.

I highly recommend that song! In fact, the album is one 60 minute song! You can download the song at amazon for only $1, which is a great deal considering it is the whole CD. Get it here: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Light-Day-Darkness/dp/B001KNQECO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1238339368&sr=8-3[/ame]

Moonsorrow - Jotunhiem
Agalloch - Our Fortress Is Burning.. (Parts 1 & 2 and if you can handle it 3)
Marillion - Ocean Cloud
Tool - Pushit (Live Salival)
Explosions in the Sky - The Birth and Death of Day

I can't seem to stay away from these for too long, so they must be awesome.

the best "epic" song of all time is jethro tull - thick as a brick, there is no other possible answer