Looking for music similar to old At The Gates

Knuckle Sandwich Provider

New Metal Member
Sep 7, 2007
Three minutes into the song Through Gardens of Grief, there's this epic violin solo which I really like. Does anyone know of any metal bands that sound similar to At The Gates' The Red In The Sky Is Ours? Specifically with violin arrangements. Thanks.

I just listened to some My Dying Bride tracks. I think I might want to get into doom metal. Sorry, should have been a little more specific with my question. I was looking for metal bands that had lots of violin in them, not the uncommon time signatures and whatnot of early At The Gates.

Similar to At the Gates:
Grotesque-In the Embrace of Evil
Cenotaph(Mex)-Riding Our Black Oceans
The best one(Eucharist) has already been mentioned.

Phlebotomized-Immense Intense Suspense(symphonic death metal with violins. Similar in some respect to My Dying Bride)

Also, listen to Candlemass, mate. Especially the first two albums. If this doesn't get you into doom, nothing will.

as stupid as it sounds
Dimmu Borgir-Enthrone Darkness Triumphent has a song called Mourning Palace with a really cool guitar orchestra clash between the verses.

Also they already said Candlemass, listen to them.

this is completely different than what's been mentioned, but...Elvenking use violin and stuff. It's more of a dark folk/power metal sound, with occasional death voxx, but good stuff.

Graveworm "As the Angels Reach the Beauty"

:headbang:

This album has awesome violins all throughout. I can't get enough of this album & I really need to check out more Graveworm. What I heard of their newer stuff would lead me to believe they got more technical. This album is pretty much textbook Symphonic Black Metal I would say.

Sirenia?
check out the song "In Sumerian Haze"

There's also a badass violin solo in The Last Emperor's "One Life (Feat. Poetic & Esthero)", but that's a hip-hop song.

this is completely different than what's been mentioned, but...Elvenking use violin and stuff. It's more of a dark folk/power metal sound, with occasional death voxx, but good stuff.

Korpiklaani > Elvenking.

From what I've heard nothing by Elvenking can even touch Korpiklaani's "Pellonpekko"

Hardly any of this is similar to early At The Gates.

Check out Gory Blister - Skymorphosis. It's more modern tech-death but full of awesome shit you should definitely hear.