Martin Taylor-great player

Didnt imply anything about lack of greatness only an exceding skill. Perhaps Im wrong in thinking it takes more to develope that ability and technique than blasting scales and arpegios. He has a bass line going, intricate cord progressions and a melody all going at the same time, not many players do it.

It definetly takes more vision compared to blasting out scales and arpeggios.

But I think in bands like Symphony x, Scar Symetry, Adagio... (Some of my favourites) much more is involved then blasting out scales . In that sense both styles take equal amount of dedication and skills in their own right. You cannot compare them.

But if you take some bad examples of metal like: Francesco Fareri, I see what you mean...

I might elaborate on this later when I have more time, but I'm definitely siding with razoredge on this one. Also, that you (soulshred) would be comparing bands to individual players actually says quite a bit in favor of said individual players as far as I'm concerned and is an interesting commentary on this subject.

Yes, but it would also be no diffrent for me to say M Romeo, Per Nielson, S. Forte... in terms of musicianship and guitarist even

oh yes, they are all high on the scale but something about this particular technique of playing the guitar.... well Im not very good but I know I could never even fake my way through jazz comping, lets just put it that way, but I can thrash around rock and metal with the worst of them. I really wasnt downing the masters of progressive metal and rock, just that I believe this particular method of playing guitar, I believe primarily refined by Joe Pass (Meedley could better give the history) IS FREAKIN AMAZING and takes years of dedication, study and natural talent. Not sure your average 16 yr old could do it but I've heard plenty shred with the best of them. I think there is a level of dexterity involved with this that is rare and painful even for those that have it, if not painful on the fingers, painful on the mind.... {dedication}. Perhaps with all the awareness in todays world we will eventually see metal and jazz technique more melded together with awesome results. I've found it inspiring to hear old fusion influences in modern progressive metal, younger guys may not recognize them but I hear bits and pieces from time to time, still a far cry from this style.

oh yes, they are all high on the scale but something about this particular technique of playing the guitar.... well Im not very good but I know I could never even fake my way through jazz comping, lets just put it that way, but I can thrash around rock and metal with the worst of them. I really wasnt downing the masters of progressive metal and rock, just that I believe this particular method of playing guitar, I believe primarily refined by Joe Pass (Meedley could better give the history) IS FREAKIN AMAZING and takes years of dedication, study and natural talent. Not sure your average 16 yr old could do it but I've heard plenty shred with the best of them. I think there is a level of dexterity involved with this that is rare and painful even for those that have it, if not painful on the fingers, painful on the mind.... {dedication}. Perhaps with all the awareness in todays world we will eventually see metal and jazz technique more melded together with awesome results. I've found it inspiring to hear old fusion influences in modern progressive metal, younger guys may not recognize them but I hear bits and pieces from time to time, still a far cry from this style.

Yeah man, but the way 16 year old shreds is so much diffrent then For example , how Marty shreds or how Vai plays the instrument. Being able to fake it shoudnt mean much in my opinion. If you look at it that way almost any Berklee College of music student can fake through comping.

I dont know I just think it is wrong to compare as long as people are high calibre in their field and everything is diffucult enough and even if one style requires more dedication and skill this is a very normal thing and the less chalenging style deserves equal amount of respect.

Yo schenkadere, you slowly finding about all the writers for Guitar Techniques??? Martin Taylor is awesome and about 3 or 4 years ago I learned this arrangment that he did for some classical piece and I would play along with it to the backing track from the CD that came with the magazine. Very interesting style and very unique. I still play some of the licks from that piece now and again in my playing lol.

Govan is okay, I'm not that much of a fan. My favorite has to be Shaun Baxter cause he takes the most dullest classical lines ever and turns them into shred heaven!

It's really an apples and oranges comparison...and unnecessary. Martin Taylor most likely couldn't play For the Love of God(not that he'd want to) in a shred fashion, just as any other said shredder probably couldn't play that Taylor piece with such vision or finesse. Who knows? some probably can, some can't...who cares? I was just pointing out some good music and cool technique from a guy who is not too well known.

Good music, interesting techniques...not everyone has to be able to play everything...just enjoy what you do play and attack it with passion.

This guy's better than that guy, this style's better than that style, this is so much more difficult and musical...blah, blah, blah...who cares?...just enjoy what you do and have some fucking fun!

It's really an apples and oranges comparison...and unnecessary. Martin Taylor most likely couldn't play For the Love of God(not that he'd want to) in a shred fashion, just as any other said shredder probably couldn't play that Taylor piece with such vision or finesse. Who knows? some probably can, some can't...who cares? I was just pointing out some good music and cool technique from a guy who is not too well known.

Good music, interesting techniques...not everyone has to be able to play everything...just enjoy what you do play and attack it with passion.

This guy's better than that guy, this style's better than that style, this is so much more difficult and musical...blah, blah, blah...who cares?...just enjoy what you do and have some fucking fun!

I endorse this post 100%!

No crazy "kid" here and just to say it again, what I said was taken out of its intended purpose. I was not critiqing shredded, (though I do at its extreme) only that I know this is a step up in guitar technique and ability. I would also argue that this guy could easily sit and run scales, modes, licks and arpegios. So while that was a good post, I was dumbfounded at the blah blah blah because the first part of the post... "apples and oranges" was no doubt obvious blah, blah, blah, only problem being this Taylor piece is actually a Peach :heh:

Just as a shredder that run scales and arpeggios at blinding speed with extreme accuracy doesn't necessarily make for a tasteful player or an interesting soloist...a guy that puts together an intricate chord comping can also be a snoozer. My point is that Robert Cray is as good a player for what he does as Martin Taylor or Michael Romero for what they do. It is indeed an apples to oranges comparison...and the "blah, blah, blah" comes from the tiring repetition of many of the post when comparing players or styles that have no point or place being compared. It's about passion for what you do and the ability to express that passion through your instrument. My response wasn't singling you out, razor...no offense.

As good of players for what they do... yes. Advanced technique and/or approach to playing the guitar, I dont agree. As a player, regardless my skill level, I just have no doubt that most anything fingerstyle and moreso multi tasking such as this is a higher or more advanced level of playing. Similiar to what Meedley implied, I have always been impressed by those that can do a solo act and to the degree that this guy and others of this style have is phenominal. Thats what I was talking about.

As good of players for what they do... yes. Advanced technique and/or approach to playing the guitar, I dont agree. As a player, regardless my skill level, I just have no doubt that most anything fingerstyle and moreso multi tasking such as this is a higher or more advanced level of playing. Similiar to what Meedley implied, I have always been impressed by those that can do a solo act and to the degree that this guy and others of this style have is phenominal. Thats what I was talking about.

All depends how you cut your teeth.

Also...what impresses you, may not impress others.

He's great...that's why I posted it.