MASTODON at the Metro tonight (4/30)...anyone going?

Show was f'ing KILLER....albeit a bit of sensory overload set in
after about 60 minutes! haha The new album sounded amazing
live, the guys played great but it was really A LOT to take in...they
played almost two hours and digesting 2 hours of Mastodon madness
is quite a lot to handle! haha Could have done w/o the Mastodon-like
openers....why you would put two bands trying to do Mastodon, on
tour with Mastodon, is a bit odd to me. Anyway, glad Rob and I
were able to catch the show, totally worth it and great to see the
diverse crowd on hand! :headbang:

And when Chris said almost 2 hours...that's almost 2 hours STRAIGHT through!! With only a 5 minute break after the new album was played...but even that had a cool visual going on the big screen with music playing. There was absolutely NO in-between banter by any member. The only spoken words came at the end by the drummer Brann who walked up to the mic and said "thank you very much Chicago". Other than that, they never stopped!!

I have NEVER seen a band go non-stop like that & with non-stop energy...WOW!!! :yow:

Although, like Chris said, a bit of sensory overload...but I loved it!! Every time towards the end when I thought, "OK...I think I've had enough"...they would bust into another one of my favorite songs by them. The set they played kicked fucking ass!! It was like listening/watching a 2 hour long best-of anthology! Loved it!

For any diehard Mastodon fan...if you miss this show, you are probably missing the BEST mastodon show/tour they have ever or will ever do...sorry. If their next album succeeds in topping this one, they would probably have to play a nearly 3 hour show to top this...however, that...would probably make your head explode...haha. So yeah, if you have a chance to see this tour, GO!!!

True, or in alot of cases, the bands just don't have the means to be able to properly replicate the entire album on stage. There's songs we'd love to do live but because of the complexity of certain parts in terms of layering and stuff, it'd be tough to pull off, without putting a shitload of it on a backing track. And while we do utilize that for some keyboard parts and intro bits, I think having a lot of backing tracks would just be kinda lame. Plus alot of bands just don't get enough set time to be able to play a whole new album AND play their classics so as to appease everyone.

"Crack The Skye" is so fucking awesome, I can't stop listening to it. Mastodon could be the new Voivod for me. And anyone who knows me well, realises that's a huge statement for me to make.

I hope they do a DVD of this tour.

I can't really add much more to what has already been said. This was an amazing show. I would definitely catch this tour again. Brann Dailor is an outstanding drummer. It looks like they have stopped playing Hearts Alive since this show so we were lucky to get to see it. I also thought Kylesa were pretty good. Having two drummers is always fun.

Tour: Crack The Skye Tour 2009
Headliner: Mastodon
Support: Kylesa, Intronaut
Venue: The Metro, Chicago, IL
Date: April 30th, 2009
=======================

Mastodon Set List:

01. Oblivion
02. Divinations
03. Quintessence
04. The Czar
05. Ghost Of Karelia