McLaughlin / Corea tour

AirGuitarLoonhouse

Professional Headbanger
Jul 23, 2007
Chicago
Anyone else hitting this tour? Just picked up tickets for the show tonight in Chicago. Should be some insane playing. :kickass: I'll try to update the thread with some thoughts review if I can get online again soon.

Also, I have a few of John's Mahavishnu material from the early 70s, but can someone offer some insight to his more recent material, say 90s - now?

Saw it this past Sunday in Atlanta.

It RULED!!!!!

They'd all be going off, playing their own leads at the same time, seemingly in their own little worlds, and none of it sounded cacophonous at all. And then BAM! Suddenly they'd all start playing the exact same thing. That bassist was incredible.

mëtålspëd;8169922 said:

Chick Corea, legendary Jazz Piano player.

John McLaughlin, guitar player for MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA, one of the first progressive/fusion bands to really bust into scene blending jazz and rock.

Jerry Goodman, Violin player for Dixie Dregs, was one of the original members of Mahavishnu Orchestra. When I caught the Dregs a few years back, they busted out Dance of Maya.

Last edited by a moderator:
ahh nice to see some fusion/jazz fans up on here!

john is mostly known for his work with mahivishnu and the guitar trio (al di meola, paco de lucia)

ive listened to a bit of his solo stuff, and while its good its not anything that id go out of my way to recommend. seeing mclaughlin play with corea would be pretty great though. I am a bigger fan of corea's than i am of mclaughlin. however i do think the guitar trio cds were absolutely incredible, and i WOULD recommend those.

anyway, im looking up tour dates now!

Saw it this past Sunday in Atlanta.

It RULED!!!!!

They'd all be going off, playing their own leads at the same time, seemingly in their own little worlds, and none of it sounded cacophonous at all. And then BAM! Suddenly they'd all start playing the exact same thing. That bassist was incredible.

Oh man, I'm sure it did!!! Saw Return To Forever several months back and it was awesome, wish I could have seen that show, fantastic musicians...

FIVE PEACE BAND US Tour

MARCH 2009

19 -thursday Los Angeles/UCLA Royce Hall

20-friday Santa Barbara.CA / U of CA/SB/Campbell Hall

21-saturday Berkeley,CA UC Berkeley/Zellerbach Hall

23-monday Santa Cruz/Civic Auditorium

24-tuesday Modesto, CA / Gallo Center for the Arts

25-wednesday Denver, CO / Paramount Theater

27-friday Miami, FL / Arsht Center

28-saturday Savannah, GA / Trustees Theater

29-sunday Atlanta, GA / Variety Playhouse

31-tuesday Dallas, TX / House of Blues

APRIL 2009

1-wednesday Houston, TX / Verizon Wireless Theater

2-thursday Austin, TX/ UT Austin Bass Hall

3-friday Chicago, IL / Chicago Theater

4-saturday Ann Arbor, MI / U-Mich-Hill

6-monday Nashville, TN / Scherwednesdayhorn Symph Ctr

7-tuesday Champaign, IL / U of IL @ Champaign/ Krannert Ctr

23-thursday NYC, NY JALC/Rose Hall

24-friday NYC, NY JALC/Rose Hall

25-saturday NYC, NY JALC/Rose Hall

26-sunday Phildelphia, PA / Keswick Theatre

28-tuesday mondaytreal, CND / Place des Arts/Wilfred Pelletier Hall

29-wednesday Strathmore, MD / Music Center at Strathmore

30-thursday Boston, MA / Berklee PAC
MAY 2009

1-friday Burlington, VT / Flynn Theatre

I love John McLaughlin and Chick Corea. I'm definitely aiming for a NYC date. Hell, Ben will be in Burlington VT when they're playing there. Good excuse to visit him and hit another show.

Edit: Wow, sweet venue for the New York shows;
Jazz At Lincoln Center/Rose Hall

Kenso you are nuts. John's solo work is amazing, from his guitar to his 'electronica.'

I second that! Not to mention that he has some of the worlds best musicians playing with him :)
Vinnie Colaiuta on the skins for one.
drums.gif

Hope Drumhead mag hires me to take photos. That would be uber sweet.

Vinnie Colaiuta on the skins for one.
drums.gif

Hope Drumhead mag hires me to take photos. That would be uber sweet.

I wish the NYC date wasn't when it is because I would be there in a heartbeat. I've seen Chick and John already but Vinnie has eluded me. Always playing in Cali :cry:

Kenso you are nuts. John's solo work is amazing, from his guitar to his 'electronica.'

i liked it, but i just couldnt get into it as much as some other stuff, thats all.

if you like fusion though, you should check out kenso.