Meeting the Band

Whisper and Weep

Awaken from the Miasma...
Feb 4, 2008
So were in the middle of the Progressive Nation 08' tour and I was wondering if anyone has met Opeth. If so.. did you need special tickets or did you just kind of go back and meet them. I was wondering because I am going on the 21st and I'd love to meet them. Share your experience if you have met the band as well.

I met them at a bar in Fort Lauderdale before the performance at The ______ Room when the were headlining with Nevermore and Into Eternity. I can't remember the name of the venue, but I bought Axe, Mendez and Peter some food and drinks, and we shot the shit for a bit. Mike came in for a second, and then they went back to the bus. Nice guys, all of them.

ive been here maybe a year, more so now that the new album is close, reading for maybe two years, im under the impression he does, or at least is in contact if they need anything

I was in a souvlaki/sushi bar with some friends. Mike, Mendez and Axe walked in with a blonde woman who I assume was Axe's girlfriend. It was pretty random.

We didn't want to hassle them while they were eating so we waited outside and as they walked out, asked for a photo. I wanted to speak with them for a moment but as the photos were taken I went from calm to uncharacteristically nervous and my fucking face started twitching.

I just ran to the camera pretending the photos were all I cared about so I wouldn't have to speak with anyone while my face spasmed lol

Bloody funny in retrospect but I wish I could have at least asked a couple of questions or expressed my gratitude to them.

Back on the BWP tour, we met them at a small club in Tampa, Florida in May of '01. They were playing with Nevermore at The Brass Mug, which is a very small dive. There is really no backstage there, and the bands kinda walk in the front door.

I first talked with Mike, and he signed my MAYH cover. He was shocked that I had the European version, and asked how I got it. I told him, I've been a fan for years and had to pay a lot to get it imported to the states before Century got a hold of it back when it released.

They were all nice guys. Martin Lopez was going on about the new Katatonia album, Last Fair Deal, that released the same month they were in the states. We talked with Lopez for probably thirty minutes or so prior to the band going on stage. He was extremely nice, but kept going on about why I needed to buy the Katatonia disc!

We barely talked with Martin Mendez, but he seemed cool too. Actually, I met him and Mike a few years later in Orlando at House of Blues and Mendez seemed down to earth. When we spoke with Peter in Tampa, I was asking him about recording processes and other random stuff. He was explaining what the noise was during the intro of Demon of the Fall.

While they were at The Brass Mug, Opeth just walked around, ate and drank. They all seemed willing to speak with anyone that approached them. We didn't feel rushed when talking to them. It's not like they were trying to get out of conversations. But, Lopez was the one we spoke with the longest. ...and damn, did he love Last Fair Deal Gone Down!

On a side note, when we met them in Orlando a few years later. It was after a show near their bus, I believe it was on the Lamentations tour. I asked Mike if they'd ever play When on a tour in the States. He asked why. I told him MAYH was my favorite Opeth album and When was my favorite song. I'm not sure, but he seemed shocked that I said that. But, he said, "we'll try to work that song in on the next tour." It was probably coincidence, but the next time Opeth came back to Florida on the Reveries tour, they played When! I was extremely happy!

I met Mikael after the show they did with Nevermore in 2005 in NYC outside the venue. He was signing autographs for eager fans, and when it was my turn, I handed him my original copy of Orchid and asked him in a sort of challenging way how come they didn't play any of their old songs anymore. He was kind of surprised someone asked and told me he didn't really like those songs anymore, that the newer stuff was better. I told him I really liked the older stuff.

The next year, they came to NYC and did the Chronology tour. Coincidence? Probably, but I still like to engage in delusions of grandeur once in a while.

hahaha well to the posters above, im sure you both had a big influance on their decision, mayb he heard it a few times more and thats what convinced him :lol:
to the poster above, whats your avatar?
and relevant to the thread id love to meet them next week, maybe ill cruise around and look for them or wait by the bus haha, or just wait in the stage area

hahaha well to the posters above, im sure you both had a big influance on their decision, mayb he heard it a few times more and thats what convinced him :lol:
to the poster above, whats your avatar?
and relevant to the thread id love to meet them next week, maybe ill cruise around and look for them or wait by the bus haha, or just wait in the stage area

My av is the Dark Tranquillity EP "Enter Suicidal Angels" which is phenomenal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enter_Suicidal_Angels

I'm beginning to think that playing the old stuff on the Chronology tour influenced the new material. The new album is phenomenal, by the way. :headbang:

My av is the Dark Tranquillity EP "Enter Suicidal Angels" which is phenomenal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enter_Suicidal_Angels

I'm beginning to think that playing the old stuff on the Chronology tour influenced the new material. The new album is phenomenal, by the way. :headbang:

haha agreed, and thanks for letting me know so fast, maybe i'll track down a a copy. i'm not sure how much i like them, although i've heard a few songs i really liked, great growls:headbang: