Megadeth Remasters

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Okay, I am sure everyone here (i'm assuming) has heard all of the original Megadeth albums AND the new ReMasters that Dave Mustaine himself has recently released. What is everyones viewpoints and opinions about them? Anyone Have a favorite?

I have been a diehard Megadeth fan for years now, and I think I even own just about every album (the originals) at least 2x over. I think the Originals are great, but I personally REALLY like the remasters of RIP, Countdown, AND Youthanasia. IMO, the drums on Countdown even sound like something sneap would do. They have the snappy sound to them that Andy is famous for.

Just wanted to get some input from everyone as to what they think of the new remasters. Hope this doesnt turn into a Dave-Bashing thread.

KEEP IT METAL! :headbang:

Well, I've only really heard the Peace Sells and RIP remasters. I liked the Peace Sells one because it updated the sound without strangling that original warm fuzz. It made things clearer, crunchier and such, I think it was a job well done.

The RIP one though, I didn't like so much. The original has this nice analogue warmness to it and the updating to immediate, crunchy in-your-face sound seem to suck the life out of it somewhat. I prefer the original sound on that one...

I have got all of the remasters and I still think that RIP and Countdown are still the best, peace sells is probably the best "remaster" as such in my opinion, It just sounds better than it did a lot more than the others.

-note not bashing- I really like megadave apart from when his personal beliefs get in the way of the music and others music.

I'm not really big into remixes of albums I've listened to for years and years.

I only own the new RIP because I found it at a pawn shop for $3, I didn't like it as much as the old.

as a general thing about them, i hate the fact that some of the fades/pan effects are gone, and everything can be heard just like it was recorded (or almost :p ) ; while this is good sometimes; it often gives the effect of an unfinished demo. example: dave's solo in holy wars; on the original, the first 4 bends had a cool effect: right/left/right/left etc. on the remaster, it's just... there :)

overall, i listen to these remasters more often than to the originals:
kimb (yea i know this was 2002 :p ), peace sells, sfsgsw, youth
and i listen to these as often as the originals:
countdown, cryptic, risk

i almost never listen to the rip remaster, cos of the replaced vocals

I haven't heard any of them... but I always dug the production on Countdown to begin with... dunno what would be done... hope they didnt fuck it up. Ashes in Your Mouth has always been one of my favorite songs of all time

yep, countdown and cryptic had really good production to begin with. i also listen to the remasters cos they're more fresh... or smth :)

anyway, i haven't been listening to megadeth much lately, especially since i got ghost reveries :headbang: (yeah, i'm buying it :p )

I'm not into remasters, either. Peace Sells, RIP, and Countdown sounded excellent to begin with. What's the point of remastering? Remixing is even worse, especially for classic albums. I can't think of who produced Peace Sells off the top of my head, but RIP was produced by Mike Clink and Countdown by Max Norman - both of whom are brilliant.

Fuck!

The remasters are AWFUL!

Peace Sells: Pretty well done, not many complaints here but still prefer the original.

SFSGSW: Oh dear! What have you done Dave?! The horn section on Into the Lungs of Hell should have been better left out and the general 'balls-iness' that the album used to have is gone. The Paul Lani mixes are all so much better than Dave's yet Dave fired Paul for some reason!

RIP is easily the worst: he (Dave Mustaine aka the Devil Incarnate) messed up the cool vocals in Take No Prisoners and Five Magics to the point where I can't listen to those songs on the remaster.

Not heard Countdown.

Youth: Some improvements and cool bits that weren't there before. However, like Rust in Peace Menza's drums now sound like he used suitcases instead of toms and the album is a lot less heavy. The tempo changes in the songs were also unneccessary. Oh and that solo at the end of Train of C is total garbage!

I don't see why Capitol Records didn't get a competant producer to remaster the albums. They didn't really need much of a remix.

As a long-time Megadeth fan, and former webmaster of Megadeth.com, I was sorely disappointed with the remixes. I much prefer the originals in ALL cases. On RIP I like how I can hear some of the details of Nick's kick and snare flams and whatnot, but it's not worth it for the overall lameness that these remixes represent. Youthanasia's remix in particular offends me, because I think the original production was perfect. It sounds decidedly worse now.

Sadly, the original mixes are out of print. I'm glad I own all of them.

Kazrog said:
As a long-time Megadeth fan, and former webmaster of Megadeth.com, I was sorely disappointed with the remixes. I much prefer the originals in ALL cases. On RIP I like how I can hear some of the details of Nick's kick and snare flams and whatnot, but it's not worth it for the overall lameness that these remixes represent. Youthanasia's remix in particular offends me, because I think the original production was perfect. It sounds decidedly worse now.

Sadly, the original mixes are out of print. I'm glad I own all of them.

I will agree with Mr. Kaz here. Youthanasia dissapointed me especially. I only bought the RIP, Countdown, and Youth remasters. I own all the original mixes 2x over. I have 4 copies the Original Youthanasia--LOL. I did, however, like the new remix of Countdown--as i mentioned above--over the other "Remasters". I think Andy should have done the Remasters. That would have been sick. :Smug:

I think that the remixes are alright and an improvement in some cases, but where I think Dave went wrong is that he tried to change some of the songs with different effects as opposed to the original stuff that was on there. One example is a song on Peace Sells, I don't remember which one off the top of my head, where on the remix there is now a vocal harmony over one part which really kills the song.

Another problem I had was with the remixing of CTE, Youthanasia, and Cryptic Writings period. All three of those albums were perfect as they were from a production standpoint.

one thing i hated in the original youthanasia, and that's 'fixed' now, is that annoying percussion-metronome thingy. well, i guess it's down to personal preference, but i listen to the remaster almost exclusively because of that.

Things that piss me off about the re-issues that I own.

So Far So Good So What:

He virtually obliterated that cool robotic vocal effect on Set The World Afire. The vocal effect fucking makes the song for me. But dear ol' Dave did not want it so prominent, and now one can only hear it in its distant form. Thanks Dave.

Rust In Peace:

Fine, I understand that the vocal tracks for 'Take No Prisoners' were lost and that being the reason for Dave re-recording the vocals.

But WHAT THE HELL happened to the vocals on 'Five Magics'? I don't know if the vocals here were lost again or something but again, he changed and toned down the much loved robotic vocal effects on this track. Thanks Dave.

Countdown To Extinction:

In an attempt to make the record sound more 'modern', he went and took away all the 'Max Norman-ness' from this album. The result? A dry sounding bloat sans the beautiful sounding reverbs on Dave's vocal tracks. Gone is the tone so sharp it could cut you.

Dave's gut wrenching subtle vocal delays on the songs were the pinnacle of the album for me. The reverberations on Forclosure of a Dream especially, MADE THE FUCKING SONG. THANKS DAVE.