melodic death vocalist needed

edgeofthorns said:
Oh no.....you're not trading Lance in for the Cookie Monster are you? :OMG: Just kidding, but I had to say it! :lol:
You got to remember Jonah is also the keyboard player for another fabulous band called BLOOD PROMISE.:headbang:

Ok, my turn to be a smartass... isn't it an oxymoron to be looking for a "melodic" death metal vocalist?

"Sure you can growl, Dude, but can you growl with the melody or better yet - growl in key?" :lol:

Thorn23TX said:
Ok, my turn to be a smartass... isn't it an oxymoron to be looking for a "melodic" death metal vocalist?

"Sure you can growl, Dude, but can you growl with the melody or better yet - growl in key?" :lol:

Can I get a rim shot? Ba dump bum!

Daybreaker said:
It's a solo project, not Blood Promise that a singer is needed for. Good luck man!

Long time no see there stranger!

How's school?

Jonah, if I could carry a tune in a bucket - I would email you, but I can't - so I won't. :erk:

What up Ed? Things are going decent here. I quit my job the other day because it was fucking up my life, but it did land me the money needed to get a new place so hey. It was only a month of insanely long graveyard hours I'd do it again if I could.

pyramazekeyboardist said:
melodic death metal vocalist needed fast. must have experience in the studio
write me at jonah4metal@hotmail.com

what are your influences? what do you consider melodic death metal?

ok i'm probably gonna get slammed for this but....

To certain people melodic death metal is bands like arch enemy, in flames, dakr tranquility, soilwork, ect...ect... to me that is NOT death metal. they are far from it. to me i think of them as "Gothenburg metal" or "metalcore" in the case of thier nu albums but these bands are definetly NOT death metal in my eyes.

To me "melodic death metal" is bands that play actual death metal that is still brutal/heavy and use melody. This would apply to Death, Cynic, Pestilence, (newer) Vital Remains, Nocturnus, Necrophagist, (early) Gorguts, Sceptic, (newer) Hypocrisy), (newer) Dismember, Augury, Quo Vadis, Sleep Terror, Necronomicon (from canada) ,ect......

Has anyone actually made a black/death metal version of the cookie monster song? That would be awesome "Czeeeee is For Coookeeeeyaaaaaargh Itzzzz Gewd Enaaaaaaaaaaaffffff For Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggghhh". lol.

JosephAcevedo said:
what are your influences? what do you consider melodic death metal?

ok i'm probably gonna get slammed for this but....

To certain people melodic death metal is bands like arch enemy, in flames, dakr tranquility, soilwork, ect...ect... to me that is NOT death metal. they are far from it. to me i think of them as "Gothenburg metal" or "metalcore" in the case of thier nu albums but these bands are definetly NOT death metal in my eyes.

To me "melodic death metal" is bands that play actual death metal that is still brutal/heavy and use melody. This would apply to Death, Cynic, Pestilence, (newer) Vital Remains, Nocturnus, Necrophagist, (early) Gorguts, Sceptic, (newer) Hypocrisy), (newer) Dismember, Augury, Quo Vadis, Sleep Terror, Necronomicon (from canada) ,ect......

You won't get slammed for this because most people don't concern themselves with labelling/categorizing metal. Your lists are, however, backwards. In melodic death metal, the melody must trump the other elements, which means melodic death metal bands are basically never brutal. A heavy and brutal death metal band that has a few melodic-sounding riffs here and there doesn't make them a melodeath band. Traditional death metal was never devoid of any melody; it's just that melodic death metal takes the melody and pushes it way out to the forefront of the overall sound. Death, Cynic, Pestilence, Vital Remains, Necrophagist, Gorguts...none of those bands are melodeath. They do have progressive elements and melodeath bands are often influenced by them. But you've basically interpreted the styles backwards. Some confusion may result from the fact that of your 4 bands in the first list, the two most popular ones (Soilwork and In Flames) have mellowed out to the point where they've dropped the "death" part of "melodic death metal." Dark Tranquillity and Arch Enemy are both still doing death metal with indispensable melody. For you to call these "metalcore" is downright insulting with the way actual metalcore bands are these days (i.e. crap) but once again, this is probably because metalcore bands are trying to copy what the melodic death metal bands did.

This is nitpicking to be sure, but so be it. I'm one of the few who does care about pointless stuff like genre-labelling, and I'm more likely to get flamed because I do than you are for your post.

TychoCelchu said:
You won't get slammed for this because most people don't concern themselves with labelling/categorizing metal. Your lists are, however, backwards. In melodic death metal, the melody must trump the other elements, which means melodic death metal bands are basically never brutal. A heavy and brutal death metal band that has a few melodic-sounding riffs here and there doesn't make them a melodeath band. Traditional death metal was never devoid of any melody; it's just that melodic death metal takes the melody and pushes it way out to the forefront of the overall sound. Death, Cynic, Pestilence, Vital Remains, Necrophagist, Gorguts...none of those bands are melodeath. They do have progressive elements and melodeath bands are often influenced by them. But you've basically interpreted the styles backwards. Some confusion may result from the fact that of your 4 bands in the first list, the two most popular ones (Soilwork and In Flames) have mellowed out to the point where they've dropped the "death" part of "melodic death metal." Dark Tranquillity and Arch Enemy are both still doing death metal with indispensable melody. For you to call these "metalcore" is downright insulting with the way actual metalcore bands are these days (i.e. crap) but once again, this is probably because metalcore bands are trying to copy what the melodic death metal bands did.

This is nitpicking to be sure, but so be it. I'm one of the few who does care about pointless stuff like genre-labelling, and I'm more likely to get flamed because I do than you are for your post.

I love you Tycho. Thank you for posting that.