Metal Culture

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
It is said for one to understand art, one has to be part of the culture and the period. Is the same true for Metal? Does one have to be part of the metal culture to truly understand metal's meaning?

I ask this question as I have never been a part of any metal community or culture other than posting (and increasingly less frequently) at this site. Thus, because I dont go to metal shows, buy metal shirts, nor have metal friends, is it possible I dont get what metal is all about? It surely seems the case at times. Moreover, if this is true, then just how much is metal misunderstood by the general public?

IMO, no I don't think one should be part of the metal culture to understand the whole meaning behind it. Metal may have different meaning to different people. I find myself sometimes, trying to discuss and "communicate" with other people that are into metal and the only feeling I've left with when I'm gone, is anger and frustration cause we actually give different meanings to metal (well, imagine an intense discussion about what metal means really).
Yes it's nice to find people that listen to metal and discuss about bands and stuff, but I don't think that we necesserily have to have the same reasons about listening to metal. For instance, I don't think that metal=headbanging. Many, while listening to metal, I feel like I am attending a classic orchestra and that I am the director :). How about that? Not really a thought shared by everyone that listens to metal..

Only one of my friends enjoys metal in the same way I do. When I do go to concerts, I go for the live performance, not for the community aspect. I don't like being around tons of smokers, and getting smashed into a sweaty, hairy, shirtless guy. I have been growing my hair long, and about half of the shirts I wear are metal shirts, but otherwise I don't wear all black, or leather or have any tattoos. I don't look like the stereotypical metalheads at shows. This is my metal community, because in a school of 8,000, there are only about five or six good metal fans.

There is nothing I hate more Master of Lightning than spending three or four hours with a bunch of violent drunken hillbillies or socially inept teenagers wearing metal shirts--and paying good money to experience such an atmosphere.

Exactly. Opeth fanboys get a bad rap, but I've seen the least of what you mentioned above at Opeth concerts I've been to. Going to see Slayer was terrible though. I'm sure almost everyone at this board is pretty opposed to that form of metal culture. There really are two distinct metal cultures that don't mesh all that well.

Good to see i am not alone. There is nothing wrong with such a culture. I just have nothing in common with anyone except a love of the music, and that is not enough. . And it's not as if there are chicks around, nor can one just chill out (although this is possible for doom/stoner shows).

i have long hair because i enjoy the wind blowing it. i wear black because its a favorite color...

i think one may know what metal is "about" simply by being someone who enjoys it. it seems selfexplaining that if you like metal, you know what it's about. going to shows is fun, but the community aspect of it is optional.

speed said:
There is nothing I hate more Master of Lightning than spending three or four hours with a bunch of violent drunken hillbillies or socially inept teenagers wearing metal shirts--and paying good money to experience such an atmosphere.

No doubt, I couldn't agree more. And it's not bad enough that these assclowns smash into each other and ruin any chance of getting close to the stage without being accosted but they make it a point to assault others that are just standing by enjoying the show.
On the rare occasion I ever go to a show I always stand in the back or plant my ass on a bar stool. It wasn't like this 20 years ago. It wasn't until the muscle brained jocks and various other fucktards started to attend shows that things got way out of hand. Now venues are in need of having armed guards

I don't think you need to be part of the culture to understand metal, but there are so many people who have a biased view on metal that I sometimes I think the opposite.

MasterOLightning said:
There really are two distinct metal cultures that don't mesh all that well.

An interesting point. Let's explore this further. Are the two cultures the "sweaty beer drinking non bathing mosher long hair cheap sex rock and roll all night motherfuckers" and the "let's appreciate the artistic value and let's treat this as serious music stand on the sidelines throw a horn or two cocktail party afterwards to discuss the merits of the performance and any ideological side conversations" crowd?

anonymousnick2001 said:
An interesting point. Let's explore this further. Are the two cultures the "sweaty beer drinking non bathing mosher long hair cheap sex rock and roll all night motherfuckers" and the "let's appreciate the artistic value and let's treat this as serious music stand on the sidelines throw a horn or two cocktail party afterwards to discuss the merits of the performance and any ideological side conversations" crowd?
Heh, people see metalheads as blood drinkers anti-christ virgin sacrifiers who only talk about death and how shitty life is and how God is an idiot for creating this world of pain and sadness.

anyone who says that not understanding the metal culture = not understanding metal music, in my opinion, is not listening to music for the right reasons. Sure, this may sound pretty subjective...who the fuck am i to judge one's taste for music? but, when i hear people bashing a band that breaks a genres boundries, and stating "this is not how metal is supposed to be done," i am forced to wonder what that person's musical taste is based on. are they so fixated on satisfying the concrete characteristics of the genre (growling vocals, 128th notes, blastbeats, etc.) that they tend to ignore the music for what it is?

Darth Kur said:

No doubt, I couldn't agree more. And it's not bad enough that these assclowns smash into each other and ruin any chance of getting close to the stage without being accosted but they make it a point to assault others that are just standing by enjoying the show.
On the rare occasion I ever go to a show I always stand in the back or plant my ass on a bar stool. It wasn't like this 20 years ago. It wasn't until the muscle brained jocks and various other fucktards started to attend shows that things got way out of hand. Now venues are in need of having armed guards
i agree as well, when i go to shows i generally stay along the side...i'm there to experience the music, and sadly you can't get very close to the stage without the shit getting beat out of you. i'm no pussy, and i don't mind a couple bruises here and there, but i'd rather not have to always keep an eye out for a flailing shirtless fat guy slamming into me while i'm trying to watch the band. the last show i went to this one guy next to me was headbanging and kept lunging into me, it was infuriating, i kept pushing him away but he was obviously really drunk...

i wish i could grow my hair long, but it's curly and grows out, not down :erk:

I don't think the "special" feeling of metal culture goes beyond the music itself. It's the only thing that makes it special and unique and not similar to any other experience or any form of music or art in general. Everyone wants to belong to a particular social group and have a label to themselves and be categorized in a specific social class, and metal creates that vibe to a certain type of people, and gigs and festivals are the place of "worship" and their gathering to perform/enjoy their interest, but, this doesn't make metal special, you can find the very same sense of belong in a religious community, political, sports and terrorists too (like KKK for example lol), that's the conclusion I could come up with after five years of listening to metal and enjoying this journey.

Exactly. Opeth fanboys get a bad rap, but I've seen the least of what you mentioned above at Opeth concerts I've been to. Going to see Slayer was terrible though. I'm sure almost everyone at this board is pretty opposed to that form of metal culture. There really are two distinct metal cultures that don't mesh all that well.

I "third" thise opinion.

At my most "metal" I wore band t shirts and black jeans all the time, but never had particularly long hair (it's really thick, so it's not particularly short looking).
At every party you'd see me headbanging like crazy, and the next day I'd have the most fucking sore neck.
This was when I was 16-18 years old. (I'm nearly 21 now)

But this year in particular, I realized I just wasn't entirely comfortable with whole metal image. I mean, I don't mind if other people do it really but it's just not for me.
So now, I don't even wear band t shirts anymore and I dress really conservatively.
No piercings, no tattoos, none of those "metal" fashion accessories like spike bands. I just look pretty much like a normal guy.
I don't pretend to be a tough "brootalz metalz" guy.
I cry when I feel like andI care about my appearance and try to look nice (something many metalheads I've met seem unable to do).
Judge me, call me a weakling (or even worse, a "faggot") but ultimately I think it takes more strength to just be comfortable with who you are than pretending you're something you're not.
And ultimately dressing like a metalhead was something I wasn't, so I don't do it.
I went through the metalhead elitist phase, where I shunned music that wasn't metal (or classical or jazz fusion, since that stuff is technical like metal can be, so that was "okay" for me to listen to).

To be honest, I'm ashamed of that close mindedness.
Nowadays, I listen to everything from hip hop, pop rock (even emo punk/pop), avant garde, minimalism, post rock and all sorts of other stuff.
That's not to say I just listen to anything, I'm not a mindless idiot, I'm very picky about what I like, but I'm far more open to different genres of music than I used to be.

Metal head friends wise, I've got a few dudes I know.
One is super obsessed with thrash metal and will hardly listen to anything else.
I like thrash metal ( Rust In Peace is one of my favorite albums of all time), yeah, but would I wanna listen to that everyday? Hell no, I want some diversity in there.
I have a friend really into power metal.
I have another friend into the prog metal stuff like Ayreon, Symphony X etc.
They may be metalheads, but it's honestly that not easy to relate to their music taste, because I'm more of a death metal fan and don't care for power metal or the really melodic prog metal bands at all.
And a lot of metalheads I've met in real life, are quite frankly just horribly closed minded people that I was hardly able to hold a decent conversation with because they were just complete idiots.

When you be closed minded and totally dismiss whole genres that have artistic value, you lose sight of what ultimately metal is IMO.
Metal was forged as a result of open minded.
Wasn't it true that what was arguably the first heavy metal band, Black Sabbath, probably wouldn't have sounded the way they would have if they weren't fans of blues, jazz and heavy rock?
It's also interesting when you watch interviews of the more talented, intelligent individuals in the metal community like Jeff Loomis or Mikael Akerfeldt, that they strongly encourage you to listen to other music than metal for inspiration and enjoyment.
And ultimately the music they play that is often revered by many closed minded metal elitist who shun anything that isn't metal, is the result of listening to music other than metal.

So to me, really, being closed minded and elitist really isn't what metal is about.
If the metal community wants to gain more respect, more of them should start showing open mindedness, tolerance and acceptance of others and ultimately just be more intelligent about things in general so they don't get constantly shoved into the cavemen stereotype-bahg.

But at the end of the day I'm a metalhead.
I could take time off from metal, I've been through times in the last few months where I've listened to pop rock even more than metal, but ultimately metal is the home base so to speak.
When I pick up a guitar, metal is the stuff that more naturally comes out of me when I play. 70 per cent of my album collection is still probably metal and I've been listening to metal since I was 12.
I can talk about metal for hours, I study metal production, I've sat down and dissected metal songs bit by bit (whether it be the music theory, song structures etc), so I feel I understand metal fairly well.

And it's not as if there are chicks around, nor can one just chill out (although this is possible for doom/stoner shows).

you'll actually find a lot of females showing up if you go to a "psychopatic" artist's concert http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathic_Records

these females call themselves "juggalettes"

http://photobucket.com/images/juggalette/

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5870276313402638276#

http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/insanejuggalette/

if i was going to go to a concert to flirt/pick up girls, this is where i'd go

At my most "metal" I wore band t shirts and black jeans all the time, but never had particularly long hair (it's really thick, so it's not particularly short looking).
At every party you'd see me headbanging like crazy, and the next day I'd have the most fucking sore neck.
This was when I was 16-18 years old. (I'm nearly 21 now)

But this year in particular, I realized I just wasn't entirely comfortable with whole metal image. I mean, I don't mind if other people do it really but it's just not for me.
So now, I don't even wear band t shirts anymore and I dress really conservatively.
No piercings, no tattoos, none of those "metal" fashion accessories like spike bands. I just look pretty much like a normal guy.
I don't pretend to be a tough "brootalz metalz" guy.
I cry when I feel like andI care about my appearance and try to look nice (something many metalheads I've met seem unable to do).
Judge me, call me a weakling (or even worse, a "faggot") but ultimately I think it takes more strength to just be comfortable with who you are than pretending you're something you're not.
And ultimately dressing like a metalhead was something I wasn't, so I don't do it.
I went through the metalhead elitist phase, where I shunned music that wasn't metal (or classical or jazz fusion, since that stuff is technical like metal can be, so that was "okay" for me to listen to).

To be honest, I'm ashamed of that close mindedness.
Nowadays, I listen to everything from hip hop, pop rock (even emo punk/pop), avant garde, minimalism, post rock and all sorts of other stuff.
That's not to say I just listen to anything, I'm not a mindless idiot, I'm very picky about what I like, but I'm far more open to different genres of music than I used to be.

Metal head friends wise, I've got a few dudes I know.
One is super obsessed with thrash metal and will hardly listen to anything else.
I like thrash metal ( Rust In Peace is one of my favorite albums of all time), yeah, but would I wanna listen to that everyday? Hell no, I want some diversity in there.
I have a friend really into power metal.
I have another friend into the prog metal stuff like Ayreon, Symphony X etc.
They may be metalheads, but it's honestly that not easy to relate to their music taste, because I'm more of a death metal fan and don't care for power metal or the really melodic prog metal bands at all.
And a lot of metalheads I've met in real life, are quite frankly just horribly closed minded people that I was hardly able to hold a decent conversation with because they were just complete idiots.

When you be closed minded and totally dismiss whole genres that have artistic value, you lose sight of what ultimately metal is IMO.
Metal was forged as a result of open minded.
Wasn't it true that what was arguably the first heavy metal band, Black Sabbath, probably wouldn't have sounded the way they would have if they weren't fans of blues, jazz and heavy rock?
It's also interesting when you watch interviews of the more talented, intelligent individuals in the metal community like Jeff Loomis or Mikael Akerfeldt, that they strongly encourage you to listen to other music than metal for inspiration and enjoyment.
And ultimately the music they play that is often revered by many closed minded metal elitist who shun anything that isn't metal, is the result of listening to music other than metal.

So to me, really, being closed minded and elitist really isn't what metal is about.
If the metal community wants to gain more respect, more of them should start showing open mindedness, tolerance and acceptance of others and ultimately just be more intelligent about things in general so they don't get constantly shoved into the cavemen stereotype-bahg.

But at the end of the day I'm a metalhead.
I could take time off from metal, I've been through times in the last few months where I've listened to pop rock even more than metal, but ultimately metal is the home base so to speak.
When I pick up a guitar, metal is the stuff that more naturally comes out of me when I play. 70 per cent of my album collection is still probably metal and I've been listening to metal since I was 12.
I can talk about metal for hours, I study metal production, I've sat down and dissected metal songs bit by bit (whether it be the music theory, song structures etc), so I feel I understand metal fairly well.
I must agree with you man. Metal is a product of musically open minded people, like Sabbath, Priest and others who didn't have boundaries for the music they were playing and that's what music and art in general is all about. Saying that metal is the best music ever, is totally WRONG ! It IS my favorite genre of music of course, it's probably the only music that could touch my depths in different ways, wether it's with the music itself, or lyrics, but I enjoy listening to other stuff, like jazz, blues, and Michael Jackson and few great musicians here in my country. Not coz, by convention, it is good, but I like it and I respect it. On the other hand, i don't respect other forms of music.
Each individual is seeking the sense of belonging, some people think that joining a football team is cool, others like being in a gang, others in bands playing rock or metal, and there are those among them who just pretend, they just like the image without getting the point of the whole thing, and those don't belong.
And thanks to M.Akefeldt that I listen to other forms of music and that enjoy even more than a lot of metal things.