Metal war

kellsco

Jan 3, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Visit site
My boyfriends friend (say that 5 times fast) is home on a break from Iraq. Last night he asked my b/f to reload his portable hard drive up with metal for him to take back with him. I guess they blast it at the Iraqies through these massive speakers that is beyond ear hurting. When the troops are camped out somewhere for a day or so, they turn on the music along with giant spot lights. Some sort of disorientation technique.

First thing he asked my b/f was, "Have any new Deicide?" :lol:

I am completely against the way metal (or any rock music it seems) has been used over there. Music should not be used as an interrogation or disorientation or any kind of technique. The new Deicide is good though.

I do agree with you. But I am curious as to why it so disorientating. Cause it's so loud? Cause it's metal? He says that they hate the music, I say I'd hate any music if it were blasted at me at an concentrated level like it is.

I do agree with you. But I am curious as to why it so disorientating. Cause it's so loud? Cause it's metal? He says that they hate the music, I say I'd hate any music if it were blasted at me at an concentrated level like it is.

I forget where I read/watched this, but supposedly Iraqi/Muslim/etc. people in interrogations will be frightened if you play hard music, especially Metal. They think it's devil music or something :loco: So, having that at crazy volumes would surely make them go insane.

Along the same lines, if you're wanting an early Sunday morning giggle then go drive by a church with Dimmu Borgir/Bathory/Death/etc. cranked as loud as possible as people gather outside, and just watch the mothers covering their children's ears. Classic :lol:

It's more evil than Brittney Spears or Hanna Montana. :heh:

Oh please, it's catchy. It's not pop, but it's still catchy. When I was little, I'd have thought it was cool. In fact, I got all excited whenever I heard Dio, Rainbow, or Iron Maiden when I was a kidling. I didn't know who they were, but I remember hearing the songs on the radio and going "OOH! Mom! I like this song! Turn it up!" And yes, those songs were played on the radio when I was a kid. WDBR must have thought they were popular enough for the decade. :p

People need to stop thinking that catchy metal will scare children. Met-Al's little sister SINGS the stuff after she's been exposed to it, and she's 8. Ever hear a small child sing Primal Fear? It's hillariously cute.

Now, if you drove past an elementary blasting Deicide...-that- might certainly freak them out. :lol:

It's not as if it started with the Bush Administration; just ask the Scottish....and their much-feared bagpipes. :heh:

I beg to differ my good sir, by all accounts time didn't exist before January 20, 2001.

If it helps our men and women in uniform do their job, then turn it up!:headbang:

Don't really find the idea of blasting metal at people who don't want to hear it very funny (especially kids and their concerned parents). I'm a parent and we listen to metal at home and in the car and...well, really most always. However, I do not want to hear or want my child to hear the hip-hop ganster rap from the thug who is blasting it from his car next to mine at the stop light( or the drunk cowboys and half-dressed cowgirls whooping and hollar'n with a Toby Keith tune that promotes everything I'm against). I got nothing against people enjoying their own music, but they really don't need to share it with me unless I ask them to. I try to have the same respect for others that I expect from them. Seems reasonable. We don't turn people on to metal by force feeding it and doing it to see the shock/disgust/fear/irritation on their face is basically a form of victimization. I'm not about getting my kicks off triggering negative emotions in others- just seems selfish and cruel. That being said, to each their own- I just wanted to comment about it and maybe present a different angle. I don't really expect to change anyone's mind on the matter.